• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

It's taken a while, but you can now read Lewis Edson Waterman's Long Strange Trip.

Stranger than fiction -- did you know that the books the young Waterman was peddling were those of Fowler & Wells, leading promoters of Victorian quackery (Phrenology, food faddism, Spiritualism, and more)? And that he was a keen supporter of phrenology to the end of his life? Further, that he spent his early years in New York promoting a weightlifting fitness system?

There's yet more to come, believe it or not.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

Enjoyed reading that.   I don't do much with the biographical side as my research focus tends to be on putting pens in proper collecting context. But, it is grand to see this information finally identified.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Daniel A

Daniel A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

Excellent work, David! I appreciate the attention to detail and the thorough documentation. 

Regards,

Daniel

#4 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

David,

Your research of L E Waterman and his odd life is indeed stranger than fiction. This is such a well researched piece, and I enjoyed reading through it very much. I'm looking forward to your future updates on LEW's story.

Regards,

George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users