19 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

A fellow contacted me two days before I left Janesville for the LA Pen show, from which in turn I traveled to Florida to visit family for a week of vacation before returning home to NYC, the town that more or less passes as my home base.  He had collected Parker pens for a few years about 10 years ago, but long  out of the hobby and with the pens merely rolling about in a drawer all this time, he decided it was time to let them go.   He lived about an hour from Janeville, so I invited him to meet me at the restaurant now familiar with pen show and tell, as our Janesville Pen Club meets there every so often.  We had dinner. I spent an hour reviewing the pens. A fair bunch had issues, needing beyond simple restoration a nib retipping or two,  replacement pumps and so forth.  I bough the collection 15 hours or so before flying out to LA. Fun stuff.

Here's a link to my prior Janesville find (images still not fully posted)  October 2013  Janesville Oct 2013 Pen Hoard Link

The tragedy in the bunch was an otherwise near-mint Parker Vacumatic Golden Web, made in Canada, with marking for importation by France and including the appropriate only-for-France 18k gold Vac nib.  He had given it to his daughter and she accidentally let the puppy get it. The cap is thoroughly chewed.  I will try some heat, but I fear the cap will never be normal. Even for me this is not an easy cap to find.

A couple pens are missing, having been sold at the LA Show, a modern Duofold Centennial in black-pearl. The Sheaffers don't belong. I had run out of storage at LA before shooting this folder on the fly.

Yes, the five pens at top left are Vacumatic Oversize/Maxima. One has a double broad stub nib.

The OS Wahl set is intact (clip hiding in pic) though somewhat discolored.

One pen from this bunch goes into my personal collection. Kudos if you can figure out which.

One hour.  A pile of pens. Happy David.

janesville_february2014hoardA1200.jpg

regards

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

You need to consider changing your name to Victor. :) Congrats, again!

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

The collection pen is an easy spot if you like Glen Miller and his Band.

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Well when you don't collect 'em one vac looks like the next....so I'll have a completely novice guess that the keeper is the short grey striped vest pocket vac, I don't recall seeing one before ( which doesn't mean much!!).

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

The collection pen is an easy spot if you like Glen Miller and his Band.

I like the music of Glen Miller and his Band :)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Well when you don't collect 'em one vac looks like the next....so I'll have a completely novice guess that the keeper is the short grey striped vest pocket vac, I don't recall seeing one before ( which doesn't mean much!!).

Regards

Hugh

Hugh, that's a perfectly good guess, as that pen is uncommon, but no, I already have a variety of 'em in Golden Arrow and in Vacuum Filler form, maybe a late "parts blow out" Vacumatic even.  This example has some issues.

To quote a famous movie, "There is... another".

Kudos if you can name the movie ;)

-d

Posted Image

#7 John Martinson

John Martinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee or 40,000ft up...

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

David, I don't think you need a car, you need a box truck.

Just Sayin'

John Martinson

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Regards
Hugh

Hugh, that's a perfectly good guess, as that pen is uncommon, but no, I already have a variety of 'em in Golden Arrow and in Vacuum Filler form, maybe a late "parts blow out" Vacumatic even.  This example has some issues.

To quote a famous movie, "There is... another".

Kudos if you can name the movie ;)

-d
The little green guy said that about the hero having a twin, right?

#9 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Top left row, 3rd from right: Is that black Vac an Imperial Major Signet? The silver Vac on the right side of the Rose Glow cap has reverse trim and a rather wide cap band. And I'm drooling over the red Shadow Wave.

#10 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

I'm looking at this in my iPhone so I can't see all the details, but I would guess (the stubby aside) that it would have to be the long vac with the 9k band. I know David has lots of these in the OS version but this one looks slender-maxish. nice haul!
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#11 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

what are you doing with the golden web, page two top row? 

are you going to Baltimore? 

#12 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

With luck he is going to buy a cap for it. I saw Fido's presence.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:36 AM

Top left row, 3rd from right: Is that black Vac an Imperial Major Signet? The silver Vac on the right side of the Rose Glow cap has reverse trim and a rather wide cap band. And I'm drooling over the red Shadow Wave.

Hi Matt,

Ah, I wish that were an Imperial Signet, though of all the 8 Imp Sigs out there, I have two, one of which would be this, if this were that, which it isn't ;)

The black pen is a Majoir with Jeweler's style cap-band

regards

david

Posted Image

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

I'm looking at this in my iPhone so I can't see all the details, but I would guess (the stubby aside) that it would have to be the long vac with the 9k band. I know David has lots of these in the OS version but this one looks slender-maxish. nice haul!

Kudos thus are extended to Jose.  Good eye my friend.

The gray striped pen at top right of the left upper row has gold-filled clip and bottom tassie, enough to render it "reverse trim", but that trim makes sense in the context of the hallmarked solid 9k gold cap-band. This is a a Canadian Vac, one of a sub-set I hunt assiduously, those with solid gold cap-rings. I have more than 20, probably the world's largest collection. This one I lacked. It goes into the collection

If you care to read more about Canadian Vacumatics with solid gold cap-ring.

LInk- Canadian Vacs with Solid Gold Cap Rings- Link

regards

david

Posted Image

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

No Baltimore. I fly back to Janesville Sunday. Would love to be there, have had fun there, wish Bert well for the show, but I'm trying not to take vacation days from hospital for smaller shows. Had I been off...

The web is the one with the chewed cap. See the opening thread. As it is the only Web made for France I've seen, I probably will hold awhile in hopes of getting clean cap for it. Barrel assembly is nearmint.

regards

d

Posted Image

#16 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

I just knew it would be that pen.  Here is my latest.

gallery_12816_182_318858.jpg

gallery_12816_182_1172511.jpg

Edited by Widget, 23 February 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#17 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

Of the Golden Webs in the hoard, I"m more interested in the one in the middle of the bottom left row.  Is that the long slender?  Is the red striped one in the same row a Vac-band? How are the two 3rd Gen Maxes?  What are the issues with the stubby Vac?

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

Of the Golden Webs in the hoard, I"m more interested in the one in the middle of the bottom left row.  Is that the long slender?  Is the red striped one in the same row a Vac-band? How are the two 3rd Gen Maxes?  What are the issues with the stubby Vac?

The Web in the left lower row is the long slender, the well known but uncatalogued size. Red Stripe to left of it is a Shadow Wave. Red Striped to the right a Debutante, which was not offered with the "Vacumatic" imprinted cap-band.

regards

david

Posted Image

#19 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

I may have interest in the long slender golden web if it's headed out the door.

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hi Brian,

Evan staked claim to it, but should that change, you're on deck. It is a decent example. Brassing to cap-bands but cleran plastic, imprint, end trim, etc.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users