9 replies to this topic

#1 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Kennedy, our 12 year old Sharpei, has always been prone to the overnight "accident" particularly if he doesn't get his evening walk. He was always good enough to do it in the basement, but its still no fun for us.

Very recently he learned that if he stands by the door and barks - once every 10 seconds or so - sooner or later, someone will come and open that door and he can go out into the backyard and do his business. Typically this happens between 4am and 6am, which is unfortunate, but vastly better than cleaning a smelly mess.

What a revelation! What a revelation for a 12 year old dog! There's hope still for us old people. 

Unfortunately - he's learned the power of that barking near the door. He wants to go out? He barks. He wants a biscuit now? He barks. He wants some attention? he barks.

The newest one was the coolest - 30 minutes after barking to let him out at 5am, he was barking again. My turn, my wife let him out 30 minutes ago. I went downstairs, but he had no interest in going out. Or getting attention. Or eating something.

He was barking because the cat was outside and wanted to come in. Seriously.

He's done that several times now. I'm blown away. 

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#2 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

We need a youtube video.

#3 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

On a fountain pen website? C'mon, the whole reason I'm here is because I'm technologically challenged.

I like old things.

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

#4 catalyst

catalyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Sounds like he has you both well trained to respond to his needs.

you better watch out though, it may also be that he and the cat are planning an overthrow. ;) ;)

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Sounds like he has you both well trained to respond to his needs.

you better watch out though, it may also be that he and the cat are planning an overthrow. ;) ;)

The cat has already planned the takeover. Cat has duped dog into thinking dog will share the thrown. Dog doesn't realize dog will be blamed for the whole thing.

#6 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

A sad epilogue to the story. Friday, Kennedy was diagnosed with cancer, and has only a few days left. We put off euthanizing him until our son can come in from out of town to say his goodbyes.

He'll leave lots of stories behind like that one.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Very sorry to hear.  Have had to see a few pets euthanized over the years. Never easy.

regards

-david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Sad to hear that, I know how you must feel, having gone through that twice.

#9 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

Oh no!   So sad.  

#10 Smokin

Smokin

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Sorry to hear that. Been there, done that and it was like loosing a child. The only thing that got me through it was knowing that it was the best for her to put her down. May you find solace in knowing Kennedy was loved  and loved you back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users