• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

I picked this item up off ebay recently, and am very surprised at how little is documented on a brand that crops up on a pretty regular basis. A google search throws up very little in the way of meaningful suggestions as to manufacturer, and even Hull's book on English pens omits this model.

My best guess, based largely on the shape of the section, is that this was a product out of the Mentmore factory. Any one able to throw light on to who produced what seem to have been better quality pens?

gallery_5000_390_2097027.jpg

gallery_5000_390_1500466.jpg

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

Mentmore seems like a good guess to me too, largely because the material is very reminiscent of Platignum pens, as is the blind cap made out of the same material as the rest of the barrel.

Golden Guinea seem to have been largely ignored in the WES Journal as well. Looks like the research will be down to you, Paul!

Andy

#3 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

I've written about these a couple of times.  The last one that came my way was very similar to yours, Paul, and I came to the same conclusion.

#4 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'm with the rest of the team. The plastics, poorly fitting cap rings and small nib say Mentmore all over it to me Paul.

#5 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

journeyman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

I have a long slender black hard rubber Golden Guinea, with a tiny & knackered nib. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow when there's some daylight available.
My prints and cards: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Inkysloth

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:45 AM

Not only is the section "classic" Mentmore , the cap and barrel shape are as well.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

I don't have a lot of depth in this area, but the pen is certainly reminiscent of both the Mentmores I have, a Diplomat and an Auto-Flow.

#8 GaryE

GaryE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

Just joined, so this is rather late.... I have that exact pen, but with a visualated section and marked Mentmore on the clip and nib.

#9 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

i've had a 1930s golden guinea like the OP's, but i recently scored this apparently older one from the 1920s on ebay.uk, in a lot:

GGuinea_zps0c3097a3.jpg

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#10 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Nice!

It also looks like the cream / black pen above it might well be a Mentmore made model (although I know Curzon Summit used this material occasionally) 

#11 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I have that red and black hard rubber pen, though not in as good condition as the one above.  It's one of the few true ripples I can think of that isn't a Waterman.

#12 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Got lucky and got all four of those English pens as a lot for about $40 BIN ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users