• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

All I have done is share my thoughts and observations regarding parker vac pencils.  I don't understand this attack.  All these quotes are several years old and were -- as far as I was concerned -- ancient history not worth rehashing.

If I have 2 logins here that's news to me.  To my recollection, I have only ever used this one.   Please delete the other one if in fact I have 2.

See all of you in Chicago, Raleigh, DC and Ohio.

#42 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

We don't delete prior accounts as the posts lend history and context and possibly material.  Multiple accounts also do no harm, as posts are posts, save when used to  attempting to pretend to be another  actual real person, which so far has not happened here, as best I can tell.  They do not cause problem from the Admin perspective, so long as old one done with once new one started.   We tend not to want to have people engaging in conversations with themselves. There's enough psychosis out in the real universe.

There is no problem from my standpoint, in general, with people adopting a new screen name, though usually they do that by changing their name alone (which can be done via account profiles) not by starting with an altogether fresh name.

Let's not do the pseudo-martyrdom thing. We went through that last time, as observed by Rick.

You were  the only person here to erase prior posts in order to make some sort of point or another, thus the limitation of editing to about a week.  If you don't remember your other account, do peek in at the link offered a couple posts back.

Raleigh and Chi approach. No doubt in-person snark with Scotch and Cigar is better than online without Scotch and Cigar.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#43 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

SNIP

I should be at Raleigh Friday. If you know you are going I can bring appropriate material.  Will you do DC, Chi or Ohio?

I plan on doing DC.  If I can't make DC, I will try Ohio.  Chicago is a little too far for me.

#44 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

DC I drive to, so easy to bring show and tell.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#45 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

I took some shots of the pencils I have on hand.

I identified 7 different types of barrel twist mechanisms.  The first picture illustrates those types.  The arrows in the picture point to slight shoulders in the tubes.

13895660501_0e1c6e0715_b.jpg

The second and third pictures are the pencils I have.  Below the pictures, I have a description of each.  You can click the pictures for a higher resolution version.  IF there are any you want to see in greater detail, please let me know and I will try to accomodate.

13895661741_d4469a05e1_b.jpg

13918827263_02669f8d7d_b.jpg

1. Stubby? Vacuum Filler, Undated. Nose drive of some sort. 1.1mm
2. Vacuum Filler, undated. Nose drive.  Same nose drive mechanism as #1, even though #1 pencil is shorter. 1.1mm
3. Ripley, 1939.  Big cone, barrel drive Type 1.  Cone not as big as #2.  No bands on bottom half of barrel. 1.1mm
4. Slender, Q3 1935. Barrel drive Type 2.  one band on bottom half.  1.1mm
5. Standard, Q1 1936.  Barrel drive Type 2.  No bands on bottom half. 1.1mm
6. Junior, Q1 1937. Barrel drive Type 2.  One band on bottom half.  1.1mm
7. Junior, Q2 1937. Barrel drive Type 2.  No bands on bottom half.  Slightly longer pencil than #6. 1.1mm
8. Standard, Q2 1937. Barrel drive Type 2.  No bands on bottom half.  1.1mm
9. Senior Maxima, Q4 1937.  Barrel drive Type 3. 1.1mm
10. Senior Maxima, Q4 1937. Barrel drive Type 3. 1.1mm
11. Major, Q3 1938.  Barrel drive Type 3.  1.1mm
12. Debutante, 1939.  Injector Type. 1.1mm
13. Debutante, Q2 1940. Barrel drive Type 4. 0.9mm
14. Debutante, Q2 1940. Barrel drive Type 4. 0.9mm
15. Major, Q2 1940. Barrel drive Type 5. 0.9mm
16. Dunno what size, Q4 1940. Barrel drive Type 4. 0.9mm
17. Junior, Q4 1941. Barrel drive type 3. 0.9mm
18. Dunno what size. Same size as #16. Barrel drive Type 6. 0.9mm (I think this may be a duofold)
19. Debutante, Q1 1941. Barrel drive Type 7. 0.9mm
20. Major, 1942. Vacumatic in Duofold plastic. Barrel drive Type 6. 0.9mm
21. Debutante, Q1 1943. Barrel drive Type 6. 0.9mm
22. Major, 1946. Barrel drive Type 6. 0.9mm
23. Major, 1946. Barrel drive Type 6. 0.9mm
24. Major, 1946. Barrel drive Type 6. 0.9mm
25. Junior, 1947. Barrel drive Type 6. 0.9mm

Also note that pencils 20 and 21 do not have the little knurled part on the nose cone.  They are completely smooth.

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 18 April 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#46 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Nice spread, Brian.  What you show as number 2 is what I refer to as the "modified Duofold" mechanism.  Unscrew it from the barrel to see how weird it truly is.  That one usually appears on the earlier, larger pencils with three rings on the cap and none on the lower barrel,  less often on the 2-ring versions.  I have one like your number 2 in black, with one ring on the top and one on the bottom, with a nose drive and no date code.   Nemecek's Ripley lacks any imprint at all (I wrote about it in the same article with the translucent vac pencil cap) -- I'm surprised yours has a 1939 imprint.

#47 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Also, I believe types 4 through 7 were all outsourced and made by Cross.  I spent a lot of time trying to swap out a vac mechanism for someone that needed one replaced at DC last year, and out of a whole drawer full of Cross/vac mechanisms that looked pretty much identical, only 1 fit.  I haven't counted how many variations there were on these Cross types, with differing shoulder depths, different threading for the tips, lengths, etc.  Many are interchangeable with the Parker 51.

#48 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Jon, when did they start outsourcing to Cross?  Based on my pencils, it looks like it happened in 1939 or 1940.

#49 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

If you ever want to get rid of that transparent striped pencil cap I picked out of your parts bin, let me know.  Anyway, I have a separate post about the Ripley pencil here: http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5845-ripley-vacumatic-pencil-1939-date-code/

#50 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

IIRC, it was earlier than 1939 - it's in the Cross book, and it's been a few months since I read it.  I will have to check.  Cross was struggling at the time and Parker didn't want much to do with pencils, so it was a good fit. 

#51 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

We tend not to want to have people engaging in conversations with themselves.

I did this for years and never won an argument.

#52 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm a bit confused by the mechanism that's in the Ripley pencil I have.  It's got a much larger nose cone than the other barrel drive pencils, but not as large as the nose drive type.  I don't have any other pencils that have this large cone, barrel drive setup.  Were there other models that did this?

#53 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Brian, the barrel-twist pencils have long ferrules through probably at least the end of 1934, perhaps 18 months of Vacumatic  production.

regards

d

Posted Image

#54 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

To lend some context to the tangent in this chat, here are some quotes from Jon Veley, who now has two  memberships at FPB under two different names. 

regards

David

I checked out this claim over the weekend, and it is a lie.  I have only ever had one account on FPB.  Originally I went by "The Desperate Schlub," but I changed my screen name to Jon Veley several years ago. 

Laws concerning libel entitle me to a retraction.

Edited by Jon Veley, 21 April 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#55 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

To lend some context to the tangent in this chat, here are some quotes from Jon Veley, who now has two  memberships at FPB under two different names. 

Laws concerning libel entitle me to a retraction.

regards

David

I checked out this claim over the weekend, and it is a lie.  I have only ever had one account on FPB.  Originally I went by "The Desperate Schlub," but I changed my screen name to Jon Veley several years ago. 

Your ignorance of "lies" and "libel" leads me to wonder about your skills at the Law.

Cheerio. :)

-david

Posted Image

#56 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

So to be clear, David, you refuse to retract your lie and apologize?  That's all I'm asking.

#57 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

So to be clear, David, you refuse to retract your lie and apologize?  That's all I'm asking.

Ahhh John, to be clear, we don't need to answer your questions.

Cheerio,

-d

Posted Image

#58 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

Also, to be clear, are you prepared to retract your libel that I  "lied"?

Onward...

-d

Posted Image

#59 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Truth is an absolute defense.

#60 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

Note how Jon, having nothing of substance to offer, embraces Tactic 3 from the Losing Debater's Manual: "Straw Man".

Always nice to see an exemplar.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users