9 replies to this topic

#1 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

Is there any site with a complete listing of WearEver models? I have a Pennant but the other two I have are models I either can't find or am not able to find the model name for.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi Ray,

I am unaware of a comprehensive model list. I have some trays of quite interesting Wearevers, purchased from Frank Dubiel's estate (I really miss Frank, btw). I photographed a quite comprehensive collection of Celluloid (presumably 1930's-1940's) pens at the Miami Pen Show in 2005, but I have not gotten around to editing the raw images.  I hunted up a few links that at least discuss Wearevers.

http://www.penhero.c...everGallery.htm

http://fountainpenbo...r-later-models/

http://www.richardsp...=xf/2004/03.htm

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Personally I doubt it would be possible to have a complete list for several reasons 1.being sheer volume of models and 2. little reference material ( factory info, catalogs and like). Heck, the number of different Wearever combos seems o defy believe ( to me anyway!!). Still someone could built a rather neat collection of Wearevers without having to outlay too many $s, some of their celluloid's where quiet stunning and good quality ( other parts not so..). A much overlooked maker.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#4 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

David Kahn's Wearever didn't make many of its pens to last, but they were an innovative company and produced affordable pens that wrote well. I have a few Pioneers and other 50's and 60's school pens that sold for $.50 to $1.00. Even though they don't make it into my rotation, I'm amazed at how well some of them write. The Pacemaker was the pinnacle of Wearever's pens. It looked, from a distance, like a Duofold knockoff, but a bit wider in diameter. They had 14K nibs and very attractive celluloid. 

I believe they were the first US pen manufacturer to use vacuum molding (to lower costs) and I'm sure that other companies had to follow suit. They presaged Delta's fusion nib by about 65 years. They had a gold framed steel nib that can be a wonderful writer. Again, it was created to cut costs, although I expect the labor cost for the nib balanced the material savings. They even had a clear feed that would give you an idea of when your pen's ink was running low. A lot of their pens were school pens and kids lose and break pens. There wasn't a great need for lifetime quality for that market.

#5 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

While their functionality often has taken a hit over time, due to lower-quality hardware, I find an awful lot of creativity and simple beauty in some of their celluloids. I've gotten fond of picking these up and either keeping them as examples of the look of the pens, or replacing bad nibs with better and hooking new fountain pen aficionados with low-cost, easy-on-the-eye entry level vintage pens.

And, from what I'm noticing, these are starting to catch a bit of attention from collectors, as they don't seem to be the total throw-aways that they were not too long ago.

#6 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Jonro makes a valid point:  the company whose most well-known brand was "Wearever" was David Kahn, Inc.  I myself used to believe that there were "Wearever subbrands" when in fact all were David Kahn, Inc. brands.

#7 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

In talking with Al Kahn, he once told me that the company supplied a lot of materials to other pen makers, that was a large portion of their business. 

Al is a cool guy, he's still around, I just don't see him every Sunday like in the past. 

#8 Autopoint

Autopoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

....purchased from Frank Dubiel's estate (I really miss Frank, btw).

regards

david

I miss him too.  He had an interesting pen story for every occasion.  And he always had time to help other pen enthusiasts.  RIP Frank.

Many years ago, I "got" him at the DC Pen Show.  I had asked him a bunch of questions about Parker 51 caps and barrels in an online forum, since I had a whole box full of various Parker "pieces".  I wanted to know which Parker pen models that my different Parker caps should be matched with.  During that discussion he agreed that a 51 cap would probably fit a VS barrel, and would make an interesting "open nibbed Parker 51 ish", but of course that it would not be "correct".  So, before the DC Show that year I picked out a VS barrel with a blind cap that fit particularly well (perhaps it had been smoothed in a lathe by the last owner) and a 51 cap that had a somewhat "relaxed" fit on that barrel.  Then I chatted with Frank at the show.  When he needed to write a quick note on my business card, I handed him the "51 VS" I'd assembled from parts.  I watched his face as he accepted the pen, then looked at the barrel shape, then looked at the cap, then looked at the barrel end again, etc.  You could see him rapidly going through his accumulated pen memory, trying to "classify" the Parker pen he'd been presented.  His face absolutely went crazy when he pulled off the cap and saw the exposed nib.  He never said a word - he was still trying to process what pen it was, when I "helped" him with the explanation of my Parker "51 VS" assemblage.  After that experience, he may not have remembered my name, but he always smiled and usually had something to say when I passed his table.

- - - Jim

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hi Jim,

You might like the Canadian Parker Arrow.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#10 Autopoint

Autopoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hi Jim,

You might like the Canadian Parker Arrow.

regards

david

Yes - and that was Frank's initial guess for the "51 VS" assemblage.  But you had to see his face while his mind was grinding away!

- - - Jim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wearever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users