5 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

I am not interested in buy this item but I am curious about the placement of the White dot. Is this an unusual placement

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2ea9679037

Thanks
Alex

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

I am not interested in buy this item but I am curious about the placement of the White dot. Is this an unusual placement

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2ea9679037

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,

The ring precludes placement of the dot on the end of the pen. The location shown is one of the locations that ring tops can carry the dot.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

David;

What a poor explanation (very unlike yourself). Ringtops had the white dot located at the end of the barrel for the reason you state however, about 1930 Sheaffer starts something new when they place the dot at the side of the cap. This makes sense in context of Sheaffer's placement of the white dot on balance pens as it would not be prominent at all at the very end of the pen. This also happens to some clip pens as well though it does not appear to be universal as we have other late clip flattops that have the dot in the traditional top center of cap placement. Perhaps Sheaffer only flirted with changing the location and it was only done for a short time.

Roger W.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

David;

What a poor explanation (very unlike yourself). SNIP

Roger W.

You mean the ring does not preclude placement on the very top of the pen and that the location shown is not one of the locations that could/did carry the dot?

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

You mean the ring does not preclude placement on the very top of the pen and that the location shown is not one of the locations that could/did carry the dot?

-d

David;

That was all well and good but, I'm sure you knew much more and you left it all out. Maybe you were leaving room for others to fill in and make it a team effort - for that I applaude you.

Roger W.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

David;

That was all well and good but, I'm sure you knew much more and you left it all out. Maybe you were leaving room for others to fill in and make it a team effort - for that I applaude you.

Roger W.

Cool. This might be the first time in my 12 years posting online about pens, that someone has claimed I know more than I was talking about. Posted Image

-d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users