4 replies to this topic

#1 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Either this pen has a story (told accurately by seller) or that's some very serious celluloid shrinkage....

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19f052a051

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi Marc,

The seller's presentation essentially is accurate, and the pen does not have serious celluloid shrinkage. Recollection has it the pen was not Duofold size, and I'm inclined not to consider it a Duofold, though it has obvious Parker cues, with pens often marked as made by Parker.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

There are also Parker-made ZB pencils with the same shape.

http://leadheadpenci...-one-to-be.html

#4 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

It is a very cool looking pen and interesting celluloid...

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#5 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

The Zaner-Blosser pens were essentially built on the same frame as the $3.50 / "Thrift Time" pens. All the ones I've seen were long pens, over five inch inches.  Most of the photos show the pens in the True Blue plastic, although I've seen a photo of one in the Duofold Lapis Blue plastic, the blue on blue version. There's an example in the Rock County museum that's the True Blue colors but in a diamond pattern.

I think this one went for a ton because it's in a plastic that Parker never used in other pens. That contributes to the general rarity of the Z-B pens.

Here's a photo of the Z-B pen in the Rock County museum:

Parkerroomtray2small.jpg

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users