#1 Greg Proctor

Greg Proctor

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationJackson, MS

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

I am on the verge of buying the above referenced pen but it has some blue staining near the section. Obviously this is a problem, especially at the price being asked. My question is does anybody have experience with cleaning staining on Conklin plastics? I've had suggestions from buffing it out (too near the threads I fear) to using a diluted bleach solution. As this is only one of these I've seen in two years of collecting, I want it but don't want to screw it up. Any suggestions?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

I hardly can be absolute on this, but once actual superficial ink has been cleaned from plastic, I've had little luck removing staining.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

I tend to think, like David, it's a "live with" thing. At best it's considered a colour prone to a few issues.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

I tend to think, like David, it's a "live with" thing. At best it's considered a colour prone to a few issues.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#5 Greg Proctor

Greg Proctor

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationJackson, MS

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for your input.My guess was in line with David's comments. The seller said he thought htey would come but wasn't willing to do it himself. That set off alrm bells and sent me to the Board. It's been a hard color to find and even though he wants top dollar (actually above top dollar) for it and even though it has condition issues, I really hate to walk away from it. I'm stuck on the horns of a delimma it seems, sigh...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users