• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

I recently aquired this large Burnham BRHR in a job lot but I've looked over the Burnham pens on the WES site and can't find any pens with pocket clips like this yet the clip looks vaguely familiar just not on a Burnham. 

It's a large pen at a tad over 51/2" and the imprint says The Burnham British Make.  The nib just says Burnham 14 ct gold.

If this is an incorrect pocketclip is the correct 1 a ball clip and should it say Burnham on the clip?

It's a fairly early pen I believe although not one of the earliest.

The pen is an absolute star with an amazingly smooth nib and excellent ink flow.  Just before I inked it I was using my new Waterman 94 and this pen certainly gives it a run forthe money.

Any information gratefully recievedgallery_12816_182_359822.jpggallery_12816_182_142623.jpg.

Edited by Widget, 23 August 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

Possibly a 'Unique' clip?

#3 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Andy Which clip should it have?

#4 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

I think your guess was pretty good. I would suggest a ball end clip with the gothic 'B' logo near the top would be about right if I take the cue from the few similarly styled Burnham Dinkie look-alikes that I have.

Andy

#5 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Andy.  I might have a generic ball clip but not a Burnham specific.  Will examine a few pens to see if any have wrong clip and it just happens to be a Burnham ball clip.  I won't be holding my breath.  It is a star though this pen and worth the effort.

#6 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

That's a Platignum clip.

I think I might have a suitable clip.

Edited by Deb, 23 August 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#7 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

I have a Wyvern Smoking Pencil; the clip's pattern is identical to that on your pen.

Cob

#8 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Perhaps a standard ball clip. Here's one Akiva posted from '23/'24

burnhambigred-5.jpg

Which I'm thinking would be around the era. Unfortunately it seems Akiva's lovely photos of his beloved Burnhams that he posted here have  nearly all gone.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#9 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

Deb If you have a clip you are willing to part with I would be grateful.  Just let me know how much in an e mail.

Hugh  That's the clip I thought it should have.  Just have to try to get this 1 off.  I think it's been on for some time.

Unique, Platignum, Wyvern ?  Which clip do you have big pen?

#10 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

This clip has always confused me. I have some NOS examples, they are for fat pens. I had guessed Wyvern, but would be very easily persuaded otherwise.

Re' the Burnham, I have what looks like the same pen in my collection. I will check tomorrow and post a picture if the clip is anything unusual.

#11 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

I used the goldy machine on that clip it was nickel and to date no tarnishing.

#12 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

Deb has offered me a Burnham clip it's not a ball it's a teardrop but I'm almost sure it's age appropriate and will suit the pen much better if I can get this 1 off.

#13 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Here's the Wyvern Smoking Pencil:

gallery_80961_406_48332.jpg

Rgds

Cob

#14 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Cob  Sure looks the same.  Can you be sure that is an original clip?

#15 Deb

Deb

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

I think that stepped clip may be a bought-in part, as I've often seen it on Platignums and it appears that it is on Wyverns too.  It's actually a nice Art Deco clip, but I associate it with cheap pens.

#16 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

I've got the stepped clip off surprisingly easily so just needs it's new 1 now will post a pic. when in situ.

#17 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Cob  Sure looks the same.  Can you be sure that is an original clip?

Well I have just had a close look at it and it looks dead right to me.  I must say I agree with Deb insofar as it is very attractive and very Art Deco - reminds me of the Empire State Building!  As for the pencil itself, I suppose it could get me into trouble on an aircraft!

And I must add that I wish Waterman's had used as "cheap" a clip on the Lady Patricia I have where the chrome has gone completely, whilst this pencil which must be about the same age, has perfect chromium!

Cob

Edited by Cob, 25 August 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#18 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

I've got a few Wyverns and I find the quality equal to if not better than some of the '1st tier' manufacturers.  Take the gold furniture on many CS models or lack of it.  You are more likely to find a CS brassed than not.  I've also had a lot of brassing on Watermans especially levers on gold pens.  If I ever get my pens sorted I will check which of my pens suffer the most deterioration with regard to loss of plating on clips, levers and bands.  Won't be very scientific because I have many more of certain makers such as CS, Sheaffer and Parker and far less of Waterman, WE et al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users