4 replies to this topic

#1 RobC

RobC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hi

For my first post I thought I'd post pictures of a recent acquisition of a post-war made in England Waterman pen equiped with an extraordinarily broad stub/italic/oblique(?) Made in Canada 2A nib.  I posted this to another forum, but I thought this group might be interested in seeing it too.  

The Pen

gallery_82024_427_8821.jpg

The Nib.  From Uncle Red at the other forum I understand that in the 20's Waterman listed 3 different Stubs and 1 oblique nib in their catalog but didn't explain the difference between the stubs.  If anyone knows the actual inventory description of this nib I would be really interested to know

The Nib is Marked "Waterman's Ideal 14KT Canada 2A"  At the right edge it is also marked "F.D.W." It is nicely tipped and, while broad across the top, it appears to be oblique.  It has a fine side on profile which suggests (perhaps) it is an italic nib.

gallery_82024_427_5660.jpg

A sample...The nib is around 2mm broad at the tip and lays down a line of around 1.2mm on the broad stroke.  The writing sample (on paper with 5mm squares) shows the line variation of the stub.  But, being new to oblique nibs, I struggle to get the correct alignment of the nib to the page

gallery_82024_427_152443.jpg

I hope that was of interest to you and if anyone can provide any further information about the nib - it would be gratefully received

Thanks

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Zounds!

I am tempted after all these years to grab the 'ultimate Waterman nib' I have lying about and shoot it, assuming I cannot find the old photo.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

I found the old image. Will have to reshoot sometime soon

waterman4xbroadnib.jpg

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 RobC

RobC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

Wow!

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

I have no evidence, but it is reasonable to hypothesize that points of this sort were special order.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users