No replies to this topic

#1 cjabbott

cjabbott

journeyman

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

So I went out hunting recently and came across a cigar box full of mostly pencils. I make it a point to look, regardless of what is visible on top of the piles, so I asked to see the box. When I noticed a price tag for entire box, I decided to look for any one thing that would make the box worth it. I didn't look far past the black Skyline. Afterward, I was happy to also find an orange Nardi pencil. Of more personal interest, I found an assortment of interesting and functional mechanical pencils advertising various businesses in my hometown (Fort Smith, AR...some two hours up the road). Also, a couple of dip pen nibs labeled "THRASH-LICK, FORT SMITH, ARK". I had never heard of any such thing having been manufactured in my hometown! It was a cool find for me!

After doing some reading, I learned that the Lick mentioned above came to Ft. Smith in 1868 and partnered with Thrash in a print company. Lick left this partnership in 1898 and went on to form the Weldon, Williams and Lick print company (which is still in business today!)

Edited by cjabbott, 10 September 2014 - 04:24 AM.

Wanted:
Indian Pens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users