• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Bit o' luck recently and found a Nozac at an estate sale. It's in true mint state. Never ink'd. How do I know this… Well, if you've taken a nozac apart, you'll agree with me. There are many nooks and crevices for ink to hide in. This one had no ink in the barrel, or behind the piston seals. Not a tiny smug on or in the seals that had deteriorated.

Probably can't tell from pics, this is a two piece barrel 5m.

gallery_81908_454_252708.jpg

gallery_81908_454_104986.jpg

gallery_81908_454_213738.jpg

Edited by pen_deco, 23 October 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#2 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

non conklin warranted 14K nib? 

#3 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:43 AM

Yeah, I have no explanation for that. Although I've read before that some Conklins sold in Macy may've carried warranted nibs. Compared to my other Nozacs, nibs look very similar. Its gotta be correct. Who's the Nozac guy around here?

#4 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

The nib may have been swapped in at the time the pen was originally sold. I once got several pens of different brands, all 1930s, that had belonged to a guy who clearly loved super-fine nibs. Every one had a warranted nib installed, needlepoint fine.

The nib in that Nozac is of a distinctive and fairly common type, a high-quality warranted nib that's normally made of thicker gold than typical Nozac nibs. Defining "correct" is messy, but let's just say that you'd have a hard time convincing buyers that it's factory original.

#5 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

I don't think it would hurt the overall value of the pen. Honestly, I should have phrased my question a bit different, but I figured that it was with the pen for a long time. Still, never inked Nozacs are not falling off trees, so it is pretty cool. 

#6 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

The nib may have been swapped in at the time the pen was originally sold. I once got several pens of different brands, all 1930s, that had belonged to a guy who clearly loved super-fine nibs. Every one had a warranted nib installed, needlepoint fine.

The nib in that Nozac is of a distinctive and fairly common type, a high-quality warranted nib that's normally made of thicker gold than typical Nozac nibs. Defining "correct" is messy, but let's just say that you'd have a hard time convincing buyers that it's factory original.

I agree with both you and Rick. Im not saying it's definitely correct, more like "I wish it said Conklin".

Only posting about a fun time opening up a Nozac

Edited by pen-deco, 25 October 2014 - 06:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users