1 reply to this topic

#1 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

Design patented, the 20 series was launched in the fall of 1924 (the design patent was awarded in February 1926 which is likely near the end of production on this model). There is not an official name for this series however every model has “20”in its model code. Any other name is just a description with no other merit to suggest its use.

This then is the last hard rubber model that Sheaffer produced and likely only over a couple of years. Catalogued in 11 models this pen, being made so late as a hard rubber pen, is usually found in excellent condition. Some models are more common than others and though it was such a short run I have found a 12th configuration.

It has not been easy to find even the 9 of the 11 catalogued models. The 201C I recently acquired from New Zealand and the clipless model 20M come from Uraguay some 8 years ago.

Roger W.

Posted Image
The 20 design

Posted Image

9 of the 11 models that are catalogued

Posted Image
Sheaffer has them divided on two pages a common type here

Posted Image
or gold mounted here

Posted Image
This is the 12th model or what would be a 201SC (S=Short) compared to a 201C (20 wide gold filled band with clip)

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Design patented, the 20 series was launched in the fall of 1924 (the design patent was awarded in February 1926 which is likely near the end of production on this model). There is not an official name for this series however every model has “20”in its model code. Any other name is just a description with no other merit to suggest its use.

This then is the last hard rubber model that Sheaffer produced and likely only over a couple of years. Catalogued in 11 models this pen, being made so late as a hard rubber pen, is usually found in excellent condition. Some models are more common than others and though it was such a short run I have found a 12th configuration.

It has not been easy to find even the 9 of the 11 catalogued models. The 201C I recently acquired from New Zealand and the clipless model 20M come from Uraguay some 8 years ago.

SNIP

I like these. Have maybe 3 or 4 variants at home. What does Kirchheimer call them, Lane Chanage, Lane Shift? Here be a couple...

Posted Image

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users