3 replies to this topic

#1 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth, New Zealand

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

Yesterday I received an English 502 which I would like to use as a daily writer.  The only problem with it is that the clip and stud assembly has a bit of movement.  Is it possible to tighten this up?

Thanks

John

20150228_080955.jpg

#2 Stuart07

Stuart07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

Hi John,

Admittedly, I come late to the "party", but I just read your post about the loose clip on the Waterman #502. It appears there was no response to your question. Did you ever solve your problem? (Assuming that you are still here and reading these posts!) I have the same issue and have seen this problem appear on other Watermans of this clip/stud design that come up for sale on ebay.  It would seem that the design itself is begging the problem to occur with eventual use and/or atmospheric changes of humidity and temperature resulting in a loosening of the clip/stud original tight fit inside the cap top. The bottom line is that it is, in my opinion, a poorly conceived design that the smart engineers at LE Waterman should never have made - but apparently they did - and it is we poor sods who are stuck with the problem of somehow fixing it.

Stuart07

#3 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

Sometimes the fixing is a simple rivet that could conceivably be tightened by carefully tapping the end from within the inside of the cap but in other cases it is a bolt & nut type affair which requires a special tool to tighten, assuming that it isn't seized solid as the vast majority will be after several decades soaked in ink.

#4 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth, New Zealand

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:01 AM

Hi, sorry I haven't been able to respond until today as I was getting 403 errors whenever I tried to visit the site.  Stuart, I never did solve the problem, the pen was just put to one side until I decided what to do about it (like 200 others...).  Vintage penman, I will have a close look inside the barrel.  When you say "special tool" do you mean a spanning screwdriver such as one would use on a Conway Stewart?

Anyway thank you both for your replies.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users