Photo

Did I went to the store to get this Soennecken 510?? Am I dreaming??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

Hello all!

Have you ever dreamed awake and tough how good would be to go back in time, enter a stationary store and buy all those pens we now hunt or desire? I have! Observing the ambience, smelling the place, trying the pens and inks and come out with my pockets empty and my collection hugely increased.

Off course that then I hit my head and go back to work! I know that's no going to happen, but it´s nice to allow my brain to take me to nice imaginary places from time to time...

Then there are those days were you open a package that arrived to the house and what comes inside is almost like that dream!! This week I got that that feeling. Just a small taste of what realizing the dream would be like.

I open the parcel and this came out of the box! A MINT IN BOX WITH PAPERS, NEVER INKED AND WITH ORIGINAL CORK INTACT!!!!

Notice the old, but still perfect cork in this picture. The instructions are in German, English, French and Spanish, and are in perfect shape as if they were printed yesterday!!!

IMG_1948.JPG

I have had others Soennecken 510 before and some near mint, but none like this one, in a box and un-inked!!

Soennecken released this pen in 1938, the biggest competitor was probably the Meisterstuck pens from Montblanc ( 13X series). In a 1939 Catalogue refereed by Pavoni in his excellent post at FPN here (thank you Pavoni for this fantastic thread!!!) the pen has a price of RM 9.00

The price is still readable in the box and was RM 8.50, so I wonder if this one is a first year. Mine does not have the eagle on the top of the cap.

So this will have a good place in my Soennecken drawers and is  not going anywhere. Also will not see ink while in my hands. Why ink a pen that was produced  76 years ago and was kept perfect?? I will be the guardian for as long as I can or want and then will pass the task to another pen nut!!

Cheers

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#2 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationDenmark.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

What a nice pen!

#3 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thanks!! Apart from being a very well designed pen with a lovely clip what makes me love it is the overall condition of the box and papers. Simply fantastic!!

Best regards
Vasco

#4 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationDenmark.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

Yes, it is incredible that i looks so good after all those years.

#5 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

Those Soennecken 510 are fantastic pens. I can understand your enthusiasm. I also have one which I can't part with although I don't collect Soenneckens at all...

15847428610_9f3c74e52a_b.jpg

PS: The box of your pen was originally made for a Rheingold, the picture at the front shows a pen with breather tube...

PS: Now I know how the ink window of my pen looked originally...(Not reddish!)

C.

Edited by Christof Z, 01 March 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#6 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

Nice eyesight!! I Had not noticed the breather tube.

Maybe the box was the same for all pens, maybe it was swapped at the stores or after sold and is  not the original box of the pen, I'll never know. The instructions are indeed for sure of the 510 along side with 507,508 and 509.

Rheingold was the upper series from Soennecken back then, so it should be more expensive than the 8.5RM marked in the box. This 510 was released in 1938 and in a 1939 catalogue is priced at 9RM ( according to Pavoni in the upper mentioned thread), so it kind of makes sense to me that the box was indeed original from this pen and sold in 1939 at 8.5RM ( off course this is all circumstantial and I´ll never be able to prove it)

Just out of curiosity and after some  calculations, given the year of the pen, the average exchange rate between USD and RM back in 1938( 1USD=2,49RM, thus a relative worth of 21,17USD back in 1938) and having in mind inflation rate since 1938, the price today ( actually in using data till 2013) would be according to different indicators/ valuation methods as follows

$350.00 using the Consumer Price Index

$279.00 using the GDP deflator

$745.00 using the value of consumer bundle

$726.00 using the unskilled wage

$923.00 using the Production Worker Compensation

$1,670.00 using the nominal GDP per capita

$4,060.00 using the relative share of GDP

Edited by piscov, 02 March 2015 - 05:39 PM.

Best regards
Vasco

#7 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

Those Soennecken 510 are fantastic pens. I can understand your enthusiasm. I also have one which I can't part with although I don't collect Soenneckens at all...

15847428610_9f3c74e52a_b.jpg

PS: The box of your pen was originally made for a Rheingold, the picture at the front shows a pen with breather tube...

PS: Now I know how the ink window of my pen looked originally...(Not reddish!)

C.

By the way, your 510 is way cooler than mine and the ink-window is far better looking in that amber reddish colour than this light yellow.

Best regards
Vasco

#8 playtime

playtime

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

NOS Soennecken? most of us could only dream of such a pen:) congrats on your find - love Soenneckens, and your NOS 510 is an especially fine instance!

J

#9 FrankBarnard

FrankBarnard

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:35 AM

Wow! Never seen a "time capsule" find like this before. Fantastic. I'd be happy to become guardian when you decide you've had it long enough!

#10 jkingrph

jkingrph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationE. Texas, NE Louisiana

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

NOS Soennecken? most of us could only dream of such a pen:) congrats on your find - love Soenneckens, and your NOS 510 is an especially fine instance

I actually have several.  It is the S 6 model, one of their lower price school pens.  I found them earlier this year back in March at Judd's pens. Apparently he had a large quantity, possibly a case lot as the site showed  50 sold.   I initially purchased one, and liked it so well I went back and got two more, to put up for my grandson when he gets old enough.  This pen is a small cigar shaped, piston filler, burgundy with a clear ink window and has a nice flexible steel nib.  They all had very stiff pistons so I removed the nibs and applied a little silicone grease to what looks like clear polymer piston and they work nicely now.

Here is a link to the ebay sale,

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/121443596987

Edited by jkingrph, 13 December 2015 - 05:54 PM.

Regards

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users