2 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

Conklin 1930 Endura Symmetrik, Leaf Green Celluloid, Oversized. A "Happy David" moment. This is some of the Raleigh Pen Show booty, shot for the first time today, not dredged from the archives. This one is a bit special for me, and is one of the 4-5 pens from amongst the 150 found at Raleigh that will enter my personal collection. Conklin was a "Big Five" pen maker in the 1920s-1930s. I recently bought an impressive collection of 20 pens (found at the LA Pen Show).

I probably have 20-30 also resting in my personal collection. I've been considering tightening the collection a bit. So figure I add one to it. So much for trimming the collection. The OS Symmetrik is a massive thing. The photo shows it next to a full length slender sub-Symmetrik pen (Dawn Pearl, at left, 5+ inches), which it dwarfs. Leaf Green was used in main-line pens only by Conklin, though kudos if you know at least one other place the color popped up. As a green Celluloid it is at risk for hefty discoloration. I owned an OS in this color my first year or two pen collecting, found on ebay. back around 1999. Darkened nearly to black and with a hairlined nib, I eventually sold it as a user.

I've always liked the color. I hunt "Jade" Celluloid green pens with perfect color. Finding a Leaf Green (black veined bright green) with superb color is a hard task.

This one popped up at Raleigh, courtesy of Mark Hoover. It is a gem, with excellent color. I know where he found it, also a good source of old pens. What could I do? I bought it. Recognizing all the caveats, I still note not having seen one this nice the past 15 years. It's nice to know I can still enjoy adding old pens to my collection here and there.

conklin_leafgreen_OS_dawnpearl1200a.jpg

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 travberg

travberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:50 AM

David,

If you keep posting all your great finds from Raleigh, the West coast hooligans will show up next year.

Excellent pens:))))

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

More hooligans, the merrier... :)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users