3 replies to this topic

#1 popcod

popcod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York Town

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:48 AM

I've recently gathered a small collection of Canadian Sheaffer 5-30 Balances. Given my focus on vintage celluloid pens with chrome trim, I'm quite fond of these. It appears they frequently deviate from the grey/chrome scheme of catalogued US Balances and can be had with reverse trim in other colors (e.g. Carmine, Rose Glow, Golden Brown, and Marine Green striated). The two-tone 5-30 nibs are an interesting touch as well. Last month I won a brown Canadian Balance from an eBay seller from Ontario, outfitted with a clip I'd never seen before. A photo (one of these things is not like the others):

oCMzPQE.jpg

As you can see, the pointed clip on the pen in question resembles the WASP-like clips that occasionally crop up on Canadian Sheaffers. But it's not quite a match, being of a slightly different shape with no V crowning the top. I frequent the public Facebook FP group, and noticed that David appears to have picked up a similar pen from the same seller. Yet there's no mention of this clip-style in his expansive Spring 2012 Pennant article ("Septuagenarian Mutant Canadian Sheaffers"). Anyone own one of these or know anything more about em?

Edited by popcod, 03 November 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:30 AM

Hi,

I found my first with this unusual clip shortly after that article saw print.  I've found a few since. I will shoot them I hope tomorrow.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 popcod

popcod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York Town

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

Good of you to chime in, David. Looking forward to it! 

Curious to know whether this clip style was limited to 5-30 Balances. I've also been wondering whether all Canadian 5-30 nibs would have been two-toned/masked with platinum, in which case the plating on one of mine has simply worn away, or if there were monotone 5-30 nibs that retain the dividing line at the breather (I seem to recall having seen others like this).  

edit: Another peculiar detail I've noticed is that the ends of these pens are more accuminate when compared to their American counterparts. So sharp is the tapered point on some as to resemble the corners of injection molded plastic. I assume they were wrapped like any other celluloid Balance of the era, but this leads me to believe that there must've been some differences in the Canadian production process.

Edited by popcod, 04 November 2016 - 10:22 PM.

#4 Mags

Mags

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAjax, ON Canada

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

Interesting, I will have to stay on the look out for a Canadian clip if any of these rare but well preserved pens pop up in the wild.

Rob Maguire (Call me M or Mags) I use a fountain pen and a blackberry playbook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users