• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malachvintagepens

malachvintagepens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

Hi there, I have this small pen on which I would like to find out its origin and date of manufacture (approximate), it has the following Imprint

In the barrel
SWAN SELF-FILLING PEN
MABIE TODD & CO NEW YORK
PAT.APR19.10.SEP3.12.JAN 1413     (the 3 does not look very good)

At the end of the barrel is Imprint
"STENOGRAPH"

In the upper perimeter of the CAP is Imprint
SCREW CAP TIGHTLY and an arrow indicating the direction of rotation. <------<<<

In the NIB:
SWAN
14 CT
MABIE TODD & CO
MADE IN USA

If anyone knows the origin of this pen will make me happy, I searched for many WEB, but I can not find this model; Is Hard Rubber and is impeccable in its entirety but I do not know what year this pen can date, the Swan does not appear on the pen.

Help please.
Thanks in advance and best regards to all.

PS/ I will try uploading photos

I have uploaded photos in My Gallery, I hope everything is fine.
If there is any need to rectify, please tell me.
Thanks again.

Edited by malachvintagepens, 19 May 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Greenie

Greenie

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

Could you please post a picture of the lever as well?

Assuming it has a rather standard looking lever, the pen is from 1920 through the mid 1920's.  The arrows and message about the screw cap makes it on the earlier side of that date range.  Swan introduced lever filling pens about 1919, and the first year they used a split lever that looks like a broken lever to most people who have not seen it before. They quickly moved on to a standard lever about 1920.

#3 malachvintagepens

malachvintagepens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Hi, thank you very much for your valuable information, it is very complete and of course I am going to upload a photo with the lever, with this photo maybe we can know with more precision the date of this precious Pen that writes with a generous and soft FINE NIB Flex.
You can already see the photo with the lever, I think with this you can accurately date this pen.

Many thanks again, it is a pleasure to be able to contact with people so wise in this matter, sometimes there are no books or WEB, s for certain information, however, the wisdom of people, when it is shared, makes many people wise . Very thankful

Edited by malachvintagepens, 20 May 2017 - 02:54 PM.

#4 Greenie

Greenie

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

The earlier Swan lever filling pens, of which this is an example,  are from the early 1920s.  This might even have "SF2" stamped on it somewhere.  There do not seem to be further detailed model numbers.  Some were stamped "posting" on the barrel, or like this one, "stenograph" to indicate the original nib type. Most had no such notation.

#5 malachvintagepens

malachvintagepens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Hi, I am very grateful for your help in getting to know this Pens, Swan MABIE Todd, I think these models belong to the time USA when the Brand Swan Mabie Todd was not identified as Brand Made in England with the engraved Swan drawing, I do not know If I'm right but it seems to me.

Many thanks again, I think I have a good copy of this kind of Pens, and with a very special NIB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users