• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alfredop

alfredop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

I found this Symphony with an adjustable nib, the pen seems to be for the french market. I received conflicting opinion about the originality of the nib on FPN, so let me check also here what you think.

post-4455-0-64147800-1487521790_zpsorjix

DSC_0032_zpszuck9eme.jpg

DSC_0035_zpsvpqknw3m.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsetd6jub3.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsjpad16hs.jpg

Ciao

Alfredo

#2 Wardok

Wardok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

Wouldn't the nib be 18 carat if it was for the French market?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:06 AM

In the USA, the Symphony arrived long after the adjustable nib went bye-bye. It can get messy with overseas pens, but the couple French Symphony pens i've handled don't have adjustable nibs. On the other hand, you adjustable nib has markings I don't recall seeing on USA_made adjustable nibs. If a replacement, it does no harm. I'm not confident enough to insist it can't be original, though the point about "18k" above is well taken.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:23 AM

I have no hesitation in saying it's a replacement nib. Eversharp did make 18ct adjustable nibs, I have one.

Hugh Cordingley

#5 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

The "cts" mark for Karat was not exclusively used on French nibs but was/is common on English nibs too (best example is Conway Stewart).

So the pen is probably not French but rather European.

I have a similar Eversharp Symhony with adjustable nib and Deluxe cap (this cap is even later than the slipper cap). The adjustable nib on my pen has the double check "√√" logo and is marked "EVERSHARP  14 Cts"

Interestingly, the Eversharp "√√" logo appears not only on the adjustable nib slider but also on the bottom of the feed and on the barrel, just above the lever (see pictures below). This suggests to me that all these parts do belong together eg that the adjustable nib on these Symphony pens is not a replacement.

gallery_8278_156_2216600.jpg

gallery_8278_156_3225566.jpg

gallery_8278_156_1157577.jpg

#6 alfredop

alfredop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

I found another Eversharp Symphony with the same marks and the same adjustable nib (the pen is not black but maroon (or bordeaux)). At this point I think that these nibs are correct for these pens at least in Europe.

Alfredo

#7 Jos

Jos

journeyman

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

I found another Eversharp Symphony with the same marks and the same adjustable nib (the pen is not black but maroon (or bordeaux)). At this point I think that these nibs are correct for these pens at least in Europe.

Alfredo

I agree.

There is another Symphony with adjustable nib with a √√ imprint on both nib and cap here:

www.ebay.com/itm/Stylo-plume-fountain-pen-fullhalter-penna-EVERSHARP-SYMPHONY-nib-writing/401492336249?hash=item5d7acede79:g:jOgAAOSwZvRagcdV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users