4 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

In July, I picked up a hoard of 1000+ old pens, from a fellow who apparently bought every pen upon which he could lay hands. The overwhelming majority were third tier items in weak condition (indeed, I sold 11 pounds of that stuff to Paul Erano after he dropped in on our ride back from the Ohio Pen Show), but there were some nice items too, at least enough to justify the purchase. The one item overwhelming all others was a Wahl "grail" pen, the oversized Gold Seal Personal Point ("Deco Band") in off-catalogue Flamingo celluloid.

I still have yet to do final cataloguing and to address restoration and sale issues, deciding what will be fixed (some pens pose challenges), which pens will be released unrestored, and which ones of the 800 left after Paul took 300, will be sold in bulk.

I likely spent 8 hours in original evaluation of the collection. Put some of the more interesting items into a large pen case. The image below is not my usual, sorry for that. But shows some interesting pens.

Posted Image

Larger shot below

This single case contains:

• Many Ripple Waterman pens including: 7's (green and red), 55, 56, 58 (yeah)
  • Cardinal Waterman 56
  • Waterman 756 (big pen) with solid gold barrel band and clip
  • Couple Waterman 22 taper cap pens, one with star nib, one with uncatalogued rare early nib.
  • Waterman 18 slip cap (big pen)
  • Aikin Lambert (by then a Waterman sub-brand) Olive Ripple 94-size (a very scarce "non-Waterman" Waterman Ripple)
  • Waterman overlays including two telescope cap ring tops (cap within cap) and a wee 412 1/2 slip cap sterling overlay (is that the Secretary pen?)
  • OS green flat-top Pick Exceptional
  • Moore L-96 OS Tuscan Brown
  • Plastic Watermans inculding Lady Patricia Moss Agate, and 94 in Mahogany. amongst others
  • OS Lincoln Pen mottled
  • Mabie Todd Swan lever filler with nice green inserts on black pen
  • Sanford and Bennet overlay (big)
  • Several Holland hatchet fillers including overlay pen
  • Nice Conklins
  • Mint condition Security (this one lacking- i believe- the check protector feature) in BCHR.
  • Oversize Monroe (I like Monroe) in black
  • Supremacy OS RHR Combo. Most impressive
  • Many Parkers, various Duofolds including clean yellow
  • Couple OS Postal Pen (original, not Richard's)
  • Black/Orange (my school color) Diamond Point combo in very nice shape.
  • ... and so forth.
I have large crates of pen trays filled with pens as well, though those photos will have to wait.

Back when I started collecting, finding a large crate of old pens seemed to be the dream. It is nice to live the dream ;)

Posted Image

Regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hey David,

The fifth pen from the left on the bottom row of Parkers looks like a slip cap 20 or 23. If it is and it's pretty clean, shoot me a message if you're thinking of dumping it.

John

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hi David,

That Supremacy combo is massive!! Didn't think it that big when you posted it before but now in context......What's the combo 5th from the bottom right, looks like a conklin but the colour is one I'm not familiar with. Hours of fun....I mean workPosted Image....in that lot.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

Hey David,

The fifth pen from the left on the bottom row of Parkers looks like a slip cap 20 or 23. If it is and it's pretty clean, shoot me a message if you're thinking of dumping it.

John

Hi John,

"Dump" is such a negative term; I lean more toward "might be willing to part with" ;)

Recollection is the fairly clean pen, possibly an 18. If not a 20, still interested?

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:31 AM

Hi David,

That Supremacy combo is massive!! Didn't think it that big when you posted it before but now in context......What's the combo 5th from the bottom right, looks like a conklin but the colour is one I'm not familiar with. Hours of fun....I mean workPosted Image....in that lot.

Regards
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Diamond Point.

Available in some remarkable colors.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users