110 replies to this topic

#61 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

If you have not seen it, a very interesting Waterman silver overlay pen was just found lurking in an antique mall. The thread is here

#62 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

If you have not seen it, a very interesting Waterman silver overlay pen was just found lurking in an antique mall. The thread is here

I do have some interest in the pen, please PM me.

#63 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'm not the owner, but I would have enjoyed finding it!

#64 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Use care with backchannel communication Farmboy. Best everything be out in the open with some members of the forum, for your own safety.

#65 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm not the owner, but I would have enjoyed finding it!

Thanks for showing me the thread. A nice pen, but nothing too rare about the pen. I just caught wind of an Italian collector selling some very rare Italian, and Canadian silver Watermans. Currently trying to hold onto some cash to purchase them. It will be the most expensive pen I've bought gfo date so far.

Edited by brando090, 13 April 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#66 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for showing me the thread. A nice pen, but nothing too rare about the pen.

The word, "clueless", comes to mind...

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#67 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

Thanks for showing me the thread. A nice pen, but nothing too rare about the pen.

-d

I may be, but this pen still doesn't change. The pattern is not special, there is no insignia given someone of interest, the only thing going for it is an uncommon size. I'm not an expert, but maybe a $5-800 pen?... Retail.

Edited by brando090, 14 April 2013 - 04:10 AM.

#68 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

I'm not expert...

Well, there you go.

I'll trust the experts.

#69 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

I'm not expert...

Well, there you go.

I'll trust the experts.

OK.

We all have access to public information that gives us the intellect to be our own little expert.

#70 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:23 AM

-d

I may be, but this pen still doesn't change. The pattern is not special, there is no insignia given someone of interest, the only thing going for it is an uncommon size. I'm not an expert, but maybe a $5-800 pen?... Retail.

How many overlay pens of this size have you seen? Several of the participants here have been collecting pens longer than you have existed. Most have considerably more resources than an 18/hr supervisor and several have indicated they have not owned such a pen.

Reread the thread. Knowing the details of who has seen what gives you an advantage over other less knowledgable buyers. There have been several good lessons on the board in the last week. Knowledge is power and right now the lessons are free-should you choose to buy and sell with the more seasoned players dealing in exquisite pens, the lessons could get expensive.

#71 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

-d

How many overlay pens of this size have you seen? Several of the participants here have been collecting pens longer than you have existed. Most have considerably more resources than an 18/hr supervisor and several have indicated they have not owned such a pen.

Reread the thread. Knowing the details of who has seen what gives you an advantage over other less knowledgable buyers. There have been several good lessons on the board in the last week. Knowledge is power and right now the lessons are free-should you choose to buy and sell with the more seasoned players dealing in exquisite pens, the lessons could get expensive.

0. And yes, knowledge is power. That is why I'm a #1.

You do understand though for me, size doesn't matter. I'm after much harder to come by Watermans. We all have a different motive for our collections, so let's not argue over why size may or may not matter.

#72 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

David nailed it with one word. Holy fuck, this is painful.

#73 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

[quote name='JonSzanto' date='14 April 2013 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1365916216' post='23586']
David nailed it with one word. Holy fuck, this is painful.

Edited by brando090, 14 April 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#74 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

You do understand though for me, size doesn't matter. I'm after much harder to come by Watermans. We all have a different motive for our collections, so let's not argue over why size may or may not matter.

Note, Brandon, that you don't sound smart, so you don't qualify for what you claim.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#75 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Note, Brandon, that you don't sound smart, so you don't qualify for what you claim.

regards

david

What reasoning presents itself if you don't mind me asking...?

#76 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

-d

You mean, "I 'might' be", rather than "I 'may' be", since the giving of permission never was suggested.

Furthermore, no one suggested the pen was... changing, so your imaginings about changing pens is irrelevant.

The remainder of your comments serve our community well, as an example of poor insight into collecting in general and into pen collecting in particular.

Perhaps the best example of this is the mistake of equating rarity and cachet with mere price.

Too, the pen is not an uncommon size.

Perhaps you can tell us how many Pansy Panel 472 1/2 Waterman pens you have handled...

regards

david

Posted Image

#77 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

What reasoning presents itself if you don't mind me asking...?

Abysmal language skills and poor insight even into your lack of insight, for a start.

regards

david

Posted Image

#78 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

Snip

Straw Man

Assertions of Size "mattering" were never in play, and claims about collector motivations never were in play.

And, it remains quite clear you have poor insight regarding which Waterman pens are hard to come by. You appear to have latched onto a couple widely known pens of significant popular interest, without a deep understanding of the series.

regards
david

Posted Image

#79 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

OK.

We all have access to public information that gives us the intellect to be our own little expert.

This of course is nonsense.

But, it is a bit entertaining.

-d

Posted Image

#80 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

-d

You mean, "I 'might' be", rather than "I 'may' be", since the giving of permission never was suggested.

Furthermore, no one suggested the pen was... changing, so your imaginings about changing pens is irrelevant.

The remainder of your comments serve our community well, as an example of poor insight into collecting in general and into pen collecting in particular.

Perhaps the best example of this is the mistake of equating rarity and cachet with mere price.

Too, the pen is not an uncommon size.

Perhaps you can tell us how many Pansy Panel 472 1/2 Waterman pens you have handled...

regards

david

I previously stated I've not handled any. You also have said the same, so why say this is not an uncommon size?

Im not exactly sure what sort of insight you'd like me to gather. I suppose my spectrum isn't wide enough, but I do know a thing or two. Or at least I'd like to think that (I'll let you decide). As you know I do focus of Watermans primarily, and German pens.

The Fountain Pens of Europe Book and Waterman Past and Present Book I suppose are being more and more apparent to buy.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users