Photo

Anyone like Sheaffer pencils? Golf pencils?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

My collection of early 1930's Sheaffer Golf Pencils. Note that the Ebonized Pearl i believe is undocumented. Not sure about the Autograph.

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

I only collect OS Balance pens....but all these pictures are very tempting!
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

Hi David,

Nice collection, haven't seen those before. The Brits seem to call that type "Bridge" pencils.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#4 Gary

Gary

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDublin, IN.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

How in the world can you change your golf score if you make a mistake and write the wrong number with one of those things? I make mistakes all the time and have to correct them.
Gary

My collection of early 1930's Sheaffer Golf Pencils. Note that the Ebonized Pearl i believe is undocumented. Not sure about the Autograph.

regards

David

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

How in the world can you change your golf score if you make a mistake and write the wrong number with one of those things? I make mistakes all the time and have to correct them.
Gary

Hi Gary,

The top unscrews to reveal a rather plump eraser.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 Joe - the pencil guy

Joe - the pencil guy

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 41 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

Nice stuff, Dave. I just added a second set of the common colors/patterns; picking them up at the Baltimore Pen Show. I thought my original pencils had gone lost/stolen. They were so short of course, I couldn't easily see them in my unusual standing storage/display cabinets.

Joe Nemecek

#7 Gary

Gary

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDublin, IN.

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Well, that's good to know. Guess my golf score could stay the same even with one of those. (Just funnin' with you David)
Gary

Hi Gary,

The top unscrews to reveal a rather plump eraser.

regards

david

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:54 AM

Big promotion for the Ebonized Pearl Sheaffer Balance Golf Pencil.

The latest color found (?) in golf pencil, it is overwhelmingly more scarce than the other colors shown above. Not shown in the annual Sheaffer catalogues, I was happily surprised to spot it in the 1934 Sheaffer dealer brochure I recently found. Described as a utility pencil rather than golf pencil, at least in this instance, I can now consider this color golf pencil to be documented. Now if only I could find a catalogue that shows it.

What's weird is that this Sheaffer brochure has been in hobbydom for years, and no one ever volunteered in prior threads on this subject that it was shown in this brochure. I'm pleased to spread the word.

From a 1934 Sheaffer brochure

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#9 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

David;
That's a nice find. I don't see any of the bigger sets advertised with golf pencils in the early/mid 30's. One thing I had started doing to help find ads was a spreadsheet with what items were advertised. Now if I had that completed I'd be able to find this stuff almost instantly. For the ads it would make sense but, you aren't going to put everything that occurs in a brochure or a catalogue in a spreadsheet - then again, maybe you could...the endless possibilities.

Roger W.

#10 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David

Hi David,
Thanks for sharing these nice pencils.

I don't collect pencil except Golf Pecil or come with kit...

Here is my collection, Ebonized Pearl is missing, assume it is rarer than the other colors for unknown reason. Ads with Ebonized Pearl Golf Pencil is also seldomly seen compare to Black and Pearl, Green Marble...

Posted Image

I saw a 1931 Sheaffer Ad havng a box set of Black Autograph including pen, pencil, deskpen, golf pencil & ink well, all with Autograph band... This is the only Ad I have seen showing the Autograph golf pencil.

CC

#11 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

A few ads showing golf pencils (I've also got one showing a golf pencil and 2 of the 3 desk bases Roger pictured above, but I'll save it if David is going to split the thread)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And don't forget, there's one more:
Posted Image

#12 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

Below is a boxed set including a Sheaffer golf pencil. This is the way I acquired it - the box a bit tattered and the pen and pencil with different clips - but these boxed sets are tough to find.

Posted Image

And here are a few more golf pencils of the style that Matt pictured at the bottom of his post:

Posted Image

Best,
Pat

Edited by PatM, 27 January 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#13 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

OK - I'm on a roll. The key point here is the two lengths of the black Sheaffer golf pencils shown with the sticker remnants, and then the contrast against a Craig golf pencil. David's first post starting this thread showed a longer early marine green golf pencil with 14K trim which caused me to look for another example of the longer golf pencils.

Best,
Pat

Posted Image

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hi,

Note that the posts regarding Balance era Desk Set/Boxed Set/Ink Bottle have been promoted to an independent thread that can be found via this link:

http://fountainpenbo...om-early-1930s/

Regards

david

Posted Image

#15 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

OK - I'm on a roll. The key point here is the two lengths of the black Sheaffer golf pencils shown with the sticker remnants, and then the contrast against a Craig golf pencil. David's first post starting this thread showed a longer early marine green golf pencil with 14K trim which caused me to look for another example of the longer golf pencils.

Best,
Pat

Posted Image

Hi Pat,
Interesting find, I always assume Sheaffer golf pencil has one size, even the Ads with golf pencil are only shown one size :angry:...

Can you let me know the length of the longer Golf Pencil ?

CC

#16 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

CC -

The longer golf pencil is 3 3/8" with the ring fully extended versus about 2 15/16" for the standard length, again with the ring top fully extended. Not a huge difference but very noticeable when the two pencils are next to each. Also, the Craig golf pencil measures exactly the same as the shorter Sheaffer pencil.

Best,
Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users