47 replies to this topic

#41 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

No doubt some good lessons lurk in this thread, but then that is a big part of why FPB is here... to help us learn how to collect better ;)

We see that ebay "bargains" are not always bargains.

We see that real knowledge of pens is hard fought and of great value.

We see that the community is small and that people know each other.

We see that one must be careful when making assumptions.

We see, no doubt, that early on learning to appreciate the pens and their context is more important than trying to find "deals".

We see that newer collectors must be cautious before assuming they can create and broker deals among seasoned players without getting burned.

We see that pen parts have value and that those with usable parts will tend not to "give them away".

We see that a bit of discretion is a good thing.

We see that playing honorably on ebay (etc.) and sucking up one's own mistakes there are better in the long run than sacrificing reputation to save a few dollars in the short run.

These lessons are more natural to some, but must be (and can be) learned by others. Noting that our hobby probably has a median age of 50+, at least based on pen show attendance, it is easy for median-age pen folk to forget the indiscretions of youth and the lessons painfully learned. ;)

This thread has been instructive. I don't see any great evil here. I do see opportunity to learn. Always a good thing.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#42 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

This thread has been instructive. I don't see any great evil here. I do see opportunity to learn. Always a good thing.

Posted Image

#43 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

I appreciate you having to explain to these people what happened, as some of these people obviously didn't read very carefully. The morel of this was, i should of read the receipt better, and im happy with the work he has done and ill be doing more business with him.

I think these people did read very carefully. There are lessons in their observations worth considering.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#44 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

I appreciate you having to explain to these people what happened, as some of these people obviously didn't read very carefully. The morel of this was, i should of read the receipt better, and im happy with the work he has done and ill be doing more business with him.

I think these people did read very carefully. There are lessons in their observations worth considering.

-d

I take from your above post very important lessons ive learned through the way, and i need to apply those at some pen shows and personally meet some pen collectors which i need to visit soon and finally be able to meet them in person.

#45 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:34 AM

I pass the following observations.

With all due respect, Hugh: at first I couldn't fathom the depth of angst and general upsettedness with regard to the CS forum at FPN. Only after people explained to me that there was a history involved, that a number of the people who were vocally candid had, indeed, been involved in matters for a long time.

Had I only read what I initially saw posted here on FPB, I really would have wondered what all the fuss was about. I asked around, and gradually realized that there was more to the picture than was presented in that contextual snapshot.

I'll just say that if, and only if, the issue was this one repair/posting/sale, it probably wouldn't matter. It is more that this general behavior has been observed by others, and has involved other people who are well-thought of in the pen world. I, for one, keep hoping Brandon will get a clue at some point. Having said that, I've seen enough go down that I won't suffer a fool gladly.

This is an explanation of my responses, most recently about "reputation" (I would have not used that word if I didn't think it applied), and I don't speak for anyone else or their motivations.

Hi Jon,

It is clear , as you mention, that there is a "history" attached to Brandon. I'm unaware of the details as pointed out by "at arms length" , and as a general rule I take people at "face value" rather than on rumour ( again whether correct or incorrect) initially. Of course I've been taken at times, it has some risk but I'd prefer to give people the chance to prove themselves rather than prejudge. Up to this point I've seen little in Brandon's post/topics here that greatly concern me, if his past is indeed as you suggest then now would be an appropriate time for Brandon to address those issues, put the past behind him and move on. If Brandon did decide to make a "new start" this topic would be as good as any for him to express that wish, the choice is his and I'm sure if he made a genuine attempt all would appreciate it, if not then I'm sure it will be pointed out.

A number of people have made their feelings known, a point not lost on me in the bigger picture. Still this topic did escalate away from the issues in the OP (which where resolved and accepted with about as close to "I was wrong" as you can get) and that wasn't the OPs fault , I take on board the title could have been better worded. I stand by my observations as being sound.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#46 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

I pass the following observations.

With all due respect, Hugh: at first I couldn't fathom the depth of angst and general upsettedness with regard to the CS forum at FPN. Only after people explained to me that there was a history involved, that a number of the people who were vocally candid had, indeed, been involved in matters for a long time.

Had I only read what I initially saw posted here on FPB, I really would have wondered what all the fuss was about. I asked around, and gradually realized that there was more to the picture than was presented in that contextual snapshot.

I'll just say that if, and only if, the issue was this one repair/posting/sale, it probably wouldn't matter. It is more that this general behavior has been observed by others, and has involved other people who are well-thought of in the pen world. I, for one, keep hoping Brandon will get a clue at some point. Having said that, I've seen enough go down that I won't suffer a fool gladly.

This is an explanation of my responses, most recently about "reputation" (I would have not used that word if I didn't think it applied), and I don't speak for anyone else or their motivations.

Hi Jon,

It is clear , as you mention, that there is a "history" attached to Brandon. I'm unaware of the details as pointed out by "at arms length" , and as a general rule I take people at "face value" rather than on rumour ( again whether correct or incorrect) initially. Of course I've been taken at times, it has some risk but I'd prefer to give people the chance to prove themselves rather than prejudge. Up to this point I've seen little in Brandon's post/topics here that greatly concern me, if his past is indeed as you suggest then now would be an appropriate time for Brandon to address those issues, put the past behind him and move on. If Brandon did decide to make a "new start" this topic would be as good as any for him to express that wish, the choice is his and I'm sure if he made a genuine attempt all would appreciate it, if not then I'm sure it will be pointed out.

A number of people have made their feelings known, a point not lost on me in the bigger picture. Still this topic did escalate away from the issues in the OP (which where resolved and accepted with about as close to "I was wrong" as you can get) and that wasn't the OPs fault , I take on board the title could have been better worded. I stand by my observations as being sound.

Regards
Hugh

Hugh,

Many people including myself appreciate people like yourself who get a better picture of someone by having the person prove themselves over time, over the people who take information and twist it into something its not. Im sure if someone has a problem with me, i hope for that person to step up and address the issue, and for i to clear up any misconceptions. There have been some twisted facts over the last few months, which i may of been a bit too antsy, which assumably could of been the cause to some of the accusations made.

Edited by brando090, 26 August 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#47 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

Hugh,

Many people including myself appreciate people like yourself who get a better picture of someone by having the person prove themselves over time, over the people who take information and twist it into something its not. Im sure if someone has a problem with me, i hope for that person to step up and address the issue, and for i to clear up an misconceptions. There have been some twisted facts over the last few months, which i may of been a bit too antsy, which assumable could of been the cause to some of the accusations made.

I'd be cautious about too aggressively playing martyr.

Folks who have issues here seem to have been quite willing to step up and address the issues. ;)
But, again, I note that behaving honorably in ebay dealings (shipping pens won to the auction winners), being careful to offer pens implicitly for potential sale only if you actually have them, recognizing that most on the boards are aware or can find pens for auction when questions are asked about auction items, not overobsessing on 'deals' can make life... easier.

d

Posted Image

#48 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

I am so weary of this. If the section had a chip it was likely the sac nipple. They frequently break there. It may have been possible to repair that fault with a 2 part epoxy. One should have sent the section and feed and broken off chip with the pen along with a one line note so the repaiman had a clue as to what was expected of him. This is not quantum physics that Jake Leventhal teaches a great penman in his own right. Think about what was supposed to have been done and inform th repaiman what was expected of him.
Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users