• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Jim B

Jim B

journeyman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

You know what I consider the most valued tool of the great repair people? Their experience.

Yes, this is absolutely true. Learning from someone who has literally done thousands of repairs on a wide variety of pens is in valuable for the very issues mentioned above, for example, "How to get that stuck section safely loose from the body when it doesn't want to yield even after heating."

Having been lucky enough to have learned from such a fellow these last 4 years, what you say is wise Jon, there is no tool better than the experience.

Edited by Jim B, 16 August 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#22 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

You know what I consider the most valued tool of the great repair people? Their experience.

Yes, this is absolutely true. Learning from someone who has literally done thousands of repairs on a wide variety of pens is in valuable for the very issues mentioned above, for example, "How to get that stuck section safely loose from the body when it doesn't want to yield even after heating."

Having been lucky enough to have learned from such a fellow these last 4 years, what you say is wise Jon, there is no tool better than the experience.

How do you get a section off of a body without heat or hot water?

#23 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

To answer I would need to know which pen you are inquiring about and what has been tried and not worked.

#24 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

The most important thing when starting to do your own repairs is to start with low value practice pens. Better a busted Wearever than a PFM because as Jon says ...experience is the key. Mind you the cost of some the high end tools makes sending to a repairer a better option most of the time unless you plan to do a lot of work. And some pens are so hard to come by even if I had the tools I personally wouldn't risk the repair myself.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#25 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

To answer I would need to know which pen you are inquiring about and what has been tried and not worked.

It's a Homelink fountain pen, and ive tried heating the barrel with both water and a lighter. Nothing... I have two other Homelink pens that were already apart when i received them, so if you'd like pictures of the same pens with the sections undone, ill provide pictures.

Posted Image

#26 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

Do you own any of the standard repair books, like Frank Dubiel's guide?

#27 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

The pen looks to have the tail of a broken nib in the section. Thus I would like toss it in the parts bin and not take apart.

#28 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Do you own any of the standard repair books, like Frank Dubiel's guide?

Books are good. Frank's not so good any more, and I don't recommend it. There are lots of things to disagree with there... Marshall/Oldfield's books are good, with edition 3 containing updates and more information in the works.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#29 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Books are good. Frank's not so good any more, and I don't recommend it. There are lots of things to disagree with there... Marshall/Oldfield's books are good, with edition 3 containing updates and more information in the works.

Thanks, Ron. I've come to realize that many of his techniques and suggestions (and materials) from 'Da Book' seem to have been superseded in subsequent years, and I put that up there as mainly an example. I've done precious little repair on my own, but like to at least having the understanding of "what's under the hood". I suppose I should check out the M/O book at some point.

Edited by JonSzanto, 17 August 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#30 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

The pen looks to have the tail of a broken nib in the section. Thus I would like toss it in the parts bin and not take apart.

True, and id like to see what the nib was as these pens has nibs from Mabie Todd, etc. I can get a new nib, but i need to know how to take this apart. Also this company was in business for less than 5 years, so parts aren't easy to come by, and this pen is in better condition than the other aluminum pen i have.

#31 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

True, and id like to see what the nib was as these pens has nibs from Mabie Todd, etc. I can get a new nib, but i need to know how to take this apart. Also this company was in business for less than 5 years, so parts aren't easy to come by, and this pen is in better condition than the other aluminum pen i have.

Hi Brandon,

The one I came across was in excellent condition, from memory exact same pen. No dents, good nib (warranted), clip etc.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#32 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi Brandon,

The one I came across was in excellent condition, from memory exact same pen. No dents, good nib (warranted), clip etc.

Regards
Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

Im in the works to buy the pen from your contact, do you remember if it was colored or just plain like the pen i have shown?

#33 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

Hi Brandon,

Regards
Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

Im in the works to buy the pen from your contact, do you remember if it was colored or just plain like the pen i have shown?

Just plain

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#34 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

It's somewhat my fault, because he sent me an email of each pen that had work done, told me what was done, and price. On a few of these pens he told me the obscure parts he gave me, so i should of read more carefully before opening my wallet (ie: black section for Waterman cardinal???).

... or making a public issue of it, calling into dispute this unknown repair person's reputation.

Did i name a name? Ok, no problem...

And then eleven days later you posted the pens for sale, prominently touting "Professionally Restored by Tom Heath".

Now ain't that interesting...

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#35 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

This is how reputations are made.

#36 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Yup, reputations. I have known Said repair person for twenty years. I saw where this was going once I read the blog. I could put the pieces together real quick. I bet every pen repair person that reads this will prefer to send pens back to the OP rather than take that kind of professional liability.

As for The repair person named, I visit him about every 3-4 weeks, we do some complex repairs, have lunch, trade pens. He has a nice setup, parts like you would not believe. I consider him a great friend, and in high enough regard, a second father. Like I said in my original post, no wonder there are more pen repair people leaving the business than entering it.

#37 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yup, reputations. I have known Said repair person for twenty years. I saw where this was going once I read the blog. I could put the pieces together real quick. I bet every pen repair person that reads this will prefer to send pens back to the OP rather than take that kind of professional liability.

As for The repair person named, I visit him about every 3-4 weeks, we do some complex repairs, have lunch, trade pens. He has a nice setup, parts like you would not believe. I consider him a great friend, and in high enough regard, a second father. Like I said in my original post, no wonder there are more pen repair people leaving the business than entering it.

A genuinely honest, knowledgeable gentleman in my experience deserving of the highest praise.

The OP comes across by now as an avaricious type with only enough knowledge to be dangerous.

#38 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

I pass the following observations.

1. We all do make mistakes/errors of judgement and so on, I have. still do and will (unfortunately).
2. We all think someone else has made a mistake at times, sometimes correctly, sometimes incorrectly.
3. A reputation is made over a long period
4. A single person unhappy does not "ruin" a reputation
5. We all (or at least I ) have expectations that exceed reality at times.

The general consensus from those here with the knowledge is that the repair work carried out was acceptable, regardless of the desires of the pens owner, and reasons provided. Am I missing something? In fairness to the OP he didn't mention a name, someone else did. If the pen was restored by the person mentioned above why is it an issue that the pen be advertised as such? Looking at this topic from "arms length" it appears to me to be based more on personal issues than the real issue, that being the pen owner expected a result that exceeded (and maybe not possible) what would be considered as an acceptable, quality repair by most (if not all) here.

Regards
Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#39 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

1. We all do make mistakes/errors of judgement and so on, I have. still do and will (unfortunately).
2. We all think someone else has made a mistake at times, sometimes correctly, sometimes incorrectly.
3. A reputation is made over a long period
4. A single person unhappy does not "ruin" a reputation
5. We all (or at least I ) have expectations that exceed reality at times.

The general consensus from those here with the knowledge is that the repair work carried out was acceptable, regardless of the desires of the pens owner, and reasons provided. Am I missing something? In fairness to the OP he didn't mention a name, someone else did. If the pen was restored by the person mentioned above why is it an issue that the pen be advertised as such? Looking at this topic from "arms length" it appears to me to be based more on personal issues than the real issue, that being the pen owner expected a result that exceeded (and maybe not possible) what would be considered as an acceptable, quality repair by most (if not all) here.

Regards
Hugh

I appreciate you having to explain to these people what happened, as some of these people obviously didn't read very carefully. The morel of this was, i should of read the receipt better, and im happy with the work he has done and ill be doing more business with him.

#40 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

With all due respect, Hugh: at first I couldn't fathom the depth of angst and general upsettedness with regard to the CS forum at FPN. Only after people explained to me that there was a history involved, that a number of the people who were vocally candid had, indeed, been involved in matters for a long time.

Had I only read what I initially saw posted here on FPB, I really would have wondered what all the fuss was about. I asked around, and gradually realized that there was more to the picture than was presented in that contextual snapshot.

I'll just say that if, and only if, the issue was this one repair/posting/sale, it probably wouldn't matter. It is more that this general behavior has been observed by others, and has involved other people who are well-thought of in the pen world. I, for one, keep hoping Brandon will get a clue at some point. Having said that, I've seen enough go down that I won't suffer a fool gladly.

This is an explanation of my responses, most recently about "reputation" (I would have not used that word if I didn't think it applied), and I don't speak for anyone else or their motivations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users