29 replies to this topic

#21 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

I've shown these several times, but I can't resist showing them off. I built 'em both. I've got a thing for red oak and black finishes in F.L. Wright style. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

WOW :blink: WOW, and WOW :blink:

John. Am I correct in thinking you are a Cabinet Maker / Joiner by profession?
Those cabinets are of an exceptional quality. Stunning, both of them for different reasons which are plainly obvious.

You could make a comfortable living from making these to order.

Thanks for sharing your handi-work. Beautiful and functional cabinets, both.

Regards
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#22 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

The drawers on the display case are two trays wide so each drawer can hold 96 pens. The cool thing about the drawers is that I split the trays and raised the back end so pens slide to the front of the drawer and stay in place when the drawer is shut. The wider drawers are much better for displaying large homogenous groups like the combos in this picture. I probably should have built this one with 4 more drawers and made the lower display that much shorter.

Posted Image

The chest is about four feet tall. Its drawers are only one tray wide.

JJ
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#23 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

The drawers on the display case are two trays wide so each drawer can hold 96 pens. The cool thing about the drawers is that I split the trays and raised the back end so pens slide to the front of the drawer and stay in place when the drawer is shut. The wider drawers are much better for displaying large homogenous groups like the combos in this picture. I probably should have built this one with 4 more drawers and made the lower display that much shorter.

Posted Image

The chest is about four feet tall. Its drawers are only one tray wide.

JJ

Very nice, how much room have to taken up total in your two chests?

#24 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:46 AM

A thumbnail is a mineral specimen that will fit in a 1" x 1" "perky box" and is large enough to be viewed without a microscope like these:

Posted Image

A mineral dealer friend of mine just purchased a collection of 10,000 thumbnails housed in this mind blowing set of Hamilton cabinets

Posted Image

So, Hamilton type cabinets are not just good for storing pens, in case you wonder why they are so darned expensive!

#25 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

This Hamilton map cabinet started out with the 3 and 5 drawer sections screwed together and hung under a drafting table. The top and base were found by emailing an ebay seller who was listing a stack of larger size sections and noted he had others.

Posted Image

#26 Penprophet

Penprophet

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

The best I have seen is Tsachi in Israel. A custom room with all built in cabinets. I use old salemans cases and plastic pen cases- effective but not great looking.

#27 mstrpete

mstrpete

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

WOW. Considering that my "collection" resides comfortably in an eyeglasses case, I am well and truly impressed and inspired.

#28 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

WOW. Considering that my "collection" resides comfortably in an eyeglasses case, I am well and truly impressed and inspired.

All in good time :)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#29 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Great to see all the variety of storage/display, and I'll just add to the chorus of admiration for the artistry of John's cabinetry. Not only in the fabrication, but the design is strikingly beautiful.

However, if I ever look for John at a pen show, I'm going to find myself looking for someone that looks like Howard Stern!

#30 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I resisted as long as I could...

I'm delighted to see the title of this thread finally laid to rest the myth that nothing rhymes with orange.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users