• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

What is the name for a P51 in Cedar Blue with sterling silver cap, DJ, and the clear section with the red feed? I heard it called a sampler, is that correct?

#2 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

It is still just a DJ 51, me thinks.

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Whatever you do, don't call it Shirley.

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

A random collection of 51 parts assembled into a pen?

To go further one would need more details.

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

P51, Midnight blue, DJ, Silver Cap, Clear hood with red feed; is it called a demonstrator or a sampler or just a regular P51?

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

P51, Midnight blue, DJ, Silver Cap, Clear hood with red feed; is it called a demonstrator or a sampler or just a regular P51?

It's not necessarily called anything, because it sounds like more than one actual thing ;)

The clear hood and red collector (i assume you mean collector) are found with early Demonstrators, and while I am amenable to further input from other 51 guys, the rest sounds a bit off. My last true first-year Demo I sold to George. I think he flipped it since then.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I believe that those with the transparent collector shell (aka hood) are called half-demonstrators. My recollection is that unlike the full-demonstrators, the halfs were availible for sale to the public.

Word of caution: I am not a "51 guy" so take my general recollections with a health grain of salt.

Dave

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I believe that those with the transparent collector shell (aka hood) are called half-demonstrators. My recollection is that unlike the full-demonstrators, the halfs were availible for sale to the public.

Word of caution: I am not a "51 guy" so take my general recollections with a health grain of salt.

Dave

Thanks,

Half-demo is the perfect naming for such a thing. Ive seen many, this is just an example of what im talking about;

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ab8a32c4b

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have not seen these so advertised. The pen has a demo hood, but not sure any more about it can be said now, sans evidence.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#10 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

I have not seen these so advertised. The pen has a demo hood, but not sure any more about it can be said now, sans evidence.

Thanks for stepping in and setting the record straight. I tried to equivocate in my reply, as I was definitely posting from vague recollection of "something that I read or heard at some point." I, in fact, have one of these "half-demonstrators" with me at work today - a 1948 aerometric with standard collector (vice the red shown in the ebay link).

Dave

P.S. I had a nice Vacumatic 51 full-demonstrator that I sold some years back. I dearly wish that I hadn't parted with that one... (sigh)

Edit: My recollection of the "half-demonstrator" comes from Ernesto's page: "A twist in the aerometric series, is the large number of pens found with only a clear hood. According to recent literature found, these so called half-demonstrators, with just the clear hood, were production versions sold to the public. "

Edited by djohannsen, 12 September 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#11 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

First year (1941) demos have a clear hood, red collector, and are hot stamped "DEMONSTRATOR" on the barrel. The barrels/blind caps on the first year demos on Ernesto's site are all black, I think. Markings/date code on the blind cap, not the barrel. See parker51.com for other variations.

Half demos are the aerometric pens with the clear hood and can be found without and with O-ring.

Edited by matt, 12 September 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#12 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

In the future it would be helpful if you just linked to the auction instead of having us play a guessing game. It is possible you wanted education on the subject pen thinking that alerting us would give you unwanted bidders. BUT based on your posts you couldn't have afforded this pen. Most of us know the seller and in my opinion the ad speaks to the pen and the details quite well. You might try reading the details more closely, the cap is gold and there doesnt seem to be mention of the color blue.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

In the future it would be helpful if you just linked to the auction instead of having us play a guessing game. It is possible you wanted education on the subject pen thinking that alerting us would give you unwanted bidders. BUT based on your posts you couldn't have afforded this pen. Most of us know the seller and in my opinion the ad speaks to the pen and the details quite well. You might try reading the details more closely, the cap is gold and there doesnt seem to be mention of the color blue.

It's all good. He'll score a "Deal" that he has to give to sellers only of "exquisite" pens to sell for him at a loss ;)

-d

Posted Image

#14 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Let's refresh your memory:

OP: What is the name for a P51 in Cedar Blue with sterling silver cap, DJ, and the clear section with the red feed? I heard it called a sampler, is that correct?

Post 8 : this is just an example of what im talking about

You've put the 2 together and assumed your correct. You may be, you may not. If your wrong what does that make your post? We all ( or I do anyway) appreciate good advice and guidance delivered in a pleasant, friendly manner.
Hugh Cordingley

#15 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

OP: What is the name for a P51 in Cedar Blue with sterling silver cap, DJ, and the clear section with the red feed? I heard it called a sampler, is that correct?

You've put the 2 together and assumed your correct. You may be, you may not. If your wrong what does that make your post? We all ( or I do anyway) appreciate good advice and guidance delivered in a pleasant, friendly manner.

Hugh,

I appreciate your refreshing post, as i see FarmBoy trying to bash me, but that pen isn't of any interest to me in the ebay auction. I also know the seller, and he's got a great reputation. I know of two people who have pens like i mentioned, and while speaking with someone with a huge Parker collection, he said the pen i was talking about was a sampler. Id never heard that term juggled around in the Parker world, so i was just getting some other opinions.

#16 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

Hugh,

I appreciate your refreshing post, as i see FarmBoy trying to bash me, but that pen isn't of any interest to me in the ebay auction. I also know the seller, and he's got a great reputation. I know of two people who have pens like i mentioned, and while speaking with someone with a huge Parker collection, he said the pen i was talking about was a sampler. Id never heard that term juggled around in the Parker world, so i was just getting some other opinions.

I got to agree with some of the other posters... let's cut to the chase, instead of playing this game on every next "deal" around the corner, why don't you just share all the information. You seem to want to play some kind of game on every pen you seem to "discover" on eBay.

I read your first post and the first thing I thought, was "wow, wonder what eBay pen you are scouting now?"

I think everyone here already recognizes the pattern, where we are educating you on pen buying 101, so you can secretly score ebay deals.

I would offer the best policy in this hobby is honesty, and I think you can already see the problems that come with dishonesty.

You get one reputation to build on, and I offer that you take the best careful steps to build a good one.

Right now, I see that you have tripped a few times along the way, and a few more falls, you're going to have little left to salvage.

Just some friendly advice, best of luck on the eBay game.

These people that post here, and on other boards are pretty smart, they have been there and done that, you're not going to get much leeway with them.

Just things to consider.

Take Care.
RIck

#17 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Hugh,

I got to agree with some of the other posters... let's cut to the chase, instead of playing this game on every next "deal" around the corner, why don't you just share all the information. You seem to want to play some kind of game on every pen you seem to "discover" on eBay.

I read your first post and the first thing I thought, was "wow, wonder what eBay pen you are scouting now?"

I think everyone here already recognizes the pattern, where we are educating you on pen buying 101, so you can secretly score ebay deals.

I would offer the best policy in this hobby is honesty, and I think you can already see the problems that come with dishonesty.

You get one reputation to build on, and I offer that you take the best careful steps to build a good one.

Right now, I see that you have tripped a few times along the way, and a few more falls, you're going to have little left to salvage.

Just some friendly advice, best of luck on the eBay game.

These people that post here, and on other boards are pretty smart, they have been there and done that, you're not going to get much leeway with them.

Just things to consider.

Take Care.
RIck

Thanks Rick,

This pen that im mentioning was not a pen on ebay, or anyone who has one who i was going to buy from. It's was the pen the Greg Minuskin has, which i believe is exactly what ive described it as. If not, well, i like the idea of the pen that i listed.

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Rick,

This pen that im mentioning was not a pen on ebay, or anyone who has one who i was going to buy from. It's was the pen the Greg Minuskin has, which i believe is exactly what ive described it as. If not, well, i like the idea of the pen that i listed.

Rick's point is quite sound.

Playing it "coy and sly" already has has cost you and will increasingly cost you useful input from those who are positioned to help but who suffer fatigue from constant oblique references in pursuit of "deals".

regards

david

Posted Image

#19 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

Thanks Rick,

Rick's point is quite sound.

Playing it "coy and sly" already has has cost you and will increasingly cost you useful input from those who are positioned to help but who suffer fatigue from constant oblique references in pursuit of "deals".

regards

david

David,

I can promise both you and the whole FPB that this isn't any public/private deal. I was just asking for clarification on what this pen was called.

#20 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Nobody cared what kind of deal it was. The issue is with your presentation of an oblique question; you presented it poorly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users