• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

Nobody cared what kind of deal it was. The issue is with your presentation of an oblique question; you presented it poorly.

Ill try harder next time, and will learn to not beat around the bush, as it seems to be.

#22 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

In the future it would be helpful if you just linked to the auction instead of having us play a guessing game. It is possible you wanted education on the subject pen thinking that alerting us would give you unwanted bidders. BUT based on your posts you couldn't have afforded this pen. Most of us know the seller and in my opinion the ad speaks to the pen and the details quite well. You might try reading the details more closely, the cap is gold and there doesnt seem to be mention of the color blue.

Let's refresh your memory:

OP: What is the name for a P51 in Cedar Blue with sterling silver cap, DJ, and the clear section with the red feed? I heard it called a sampler, is that correct?

Post 8 : this is just an example of what im talking about

You've put the 2 together and assumed your correct. You may be, you may not. If your wrong what does that make your post? We all ( or I do anyway) appreciate good advice and guidance delivered in a pleasant, friendly manner.

Hugh,

I appreciate your refreshing post, as i see FarmBoy trying to bash me, but that pen isn't of any interest to me in the ebay auction. I also know the seller, and he's got a great reputation. I know of two people who have pens like i mentioned, and while speaking with someone with a huge Parker collection, he said the pen i was talking about was a sampler. Id never heard that term juggled around in the Parker world, so i was just getting some other opinions.

I got to agree with some of the other posters... let's cut to the chase, instead of playing this game on every next "deal" around the corner, why don't you just share all the information. You seem to want to play some kind of game on every pen you seem to "discover" on eBay.

I read your first post and the first thing I thought, was "wow, wonder what eBay pen you are scouting now?"

I think everyone here already recognizes the pattern, where we are educating you on pen buying 101, so you can secretly score ebay deals.

I would offer the best policy in this hobby is honesty, and I think you can already see the problems that come with dishonesty.

You get one reputation to build on, and I offer that you take the best careful steps to build a good one.

Right now, I see that you have tripped a few times along the way, and a few more falls, you're going to have little left to salvage.

Just some friendly advice, best of luck on the eBay game.

These people that post here, and on other boards are pretty smart, they have been there and done that, you're not going to get much leeway with them.

Just things to consider.

Take Care.
RIck

Thanks Rick,

This pen that im mentioning was not a pen on ebay, or anyone who has one who i was going to buy from. It's was the pen the Greg Minuskin has, which i believe is exactly what ive described it as. If not, well, i like the idea of the pen that i listed.

I have an interest in 51s. I shall contact Greg about selling the pen if you are not interested in purchasing it. Thanks for the heads up.

#23 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

In the future it would be helpful if you just linked to the auction instead of having us play a guessing game. It is possible you wanted education on the subject pen thinking that alerting us would give you unwanted bidders. BUT based on your posts you couldn't have afforded this pen. Most of us know the seller and in my opinion the ad speaks to the pen and the details quite well. You might try reading the details more closely, the cap is gold and there doesnt seem to be mention of the color blue.

Let's refresh your memory:

OP: What is the name for a P51 in Cedar Blue with sterling silver cap, DJ, and the clear section with the red feed? I heard it called a sampler, is that correct?

Post 8 : this is just an example of what im talking about

You've put the 2 together and assumed your correct. You may be, you may not. If your wrong what does that make your post? We all ( or I do anyway) appreciate good advice and guidance delivered in a pleasant, friendly manner.

Hugh,

I appreciate your refreshing post, as i see FarmBoy trying to bash me, but that pen isn't of any interest to me in the ebay auction. I also know the seller, and he's got a great reputation. I know of two people who have pens like i mentioned, and while speaking with someone with a huge Parker collection, he said the pen i was talking about was a sampler. Id never heard that term juggled around in the Parker world, so i was just getting some other opinions.

I got to agree with some of the other posters... let's cut to the chase, instead of playing this game on every next "deal" around the corner, why don't you just share all the information. You seem to want to play some kind of game on every pen you seem to "discover" on eBay.

I read your first post and the first thing I thought, was "wow, wonder what eBay pen you are scouting now?"

I think everyone here already recognizes the pattern, where we are educating you on pen buying 101, so you can secretly score ebay deals.

I would offer the best policy in this hobby is honesty, and I think you can already see the problems that come with dishonesty.

You get one reputation to build on, and I offer that you take the best careful steps to build a good one.

Right now, I see that you have tripped a few times along the way, and a few more falls, you're going to have little left to salvage.

Just some friendly advice, best of luck on the eBay game.

These people that post here, and on other boards are pretty smart, they have been there and done that, you're not going to get much leeway with them.

Just things to consider.

Take Care.
RIck

Thanks Rick,

This pen that im mentioning was not a pen on ebay, or anyone who has one who i was going to buy from. It's was the pen the Greg Minuskin has, which i believe is exactly what ive described it as. If not, well, i like the idea of the pen that i listed.

I have an interest in 51s. I shall contact Greg about selling the pen if you are not interested in purchasing it. Thanks for the heads up.

FarmBoy,

You need to re-read what i posted, the pen he has isn't for sale, and neither of us is going to buy it... its not for sale.

#24 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

FarmBoy,

You need to re-read what i posted, the pen he has isn't for sale, and neither of us is going to buy it... its not for sale.

Writing with clarity and not obliquely (and/or with weak grammar) will facilitate conveying your ideas.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#25 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

FarmBoy,

Writing with clarity and not obliquely (and/or with weak grammar) will facilitate conveying your ideas.

regards

david

Clarity would be good. A mutual friend (and reader here) contacted me to report he discussed this very thread with Greg and that Greg does not have such a pen.

#26 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

FarmBoy,

regards

david

Clarity would be good. A mutual friend (and reader here) contacted me to report he discussed this very thread with Greg and that Greg does not have such a pen.

Correct,

The pen he has, is a Parker 51 with sterling silver cap, DJ in midnight blue pen.

#27 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

The pen he has, is a Parker 51 with sterling silver cap, DJ in midnight blue pen.

Geez, I'm all for newbie enthusiasm but you really are pathologically clueless, right?

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#28 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Geez, I'm all for newbie enthusiasm but you really are pathologically clueless, right?

-d

If that's your assessment, than i take it as, it is what it is. I got it mixed up with a members pen which they purchased from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

#29 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

If that's your assessment, than i take it as, it is what it is. I got it mixed up with a members pen which they purchased from ebay.

Really, I suppose once we see a pattern of straightforward, coherent, non-manipulative, non-grandiose posts, the mistakes (or whatever) won't be such a big deal. One can but hope...

-d

Posted Image

#30 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

Really, I suppose once we see a pattern of straightforward, coherent, non-manipulative, non-grandiose posts, the mistakes (or whatever) won't be such a big deal. One can but hope...

-d

Are we still integrating?

#31 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

Just remember, every pen, everyone has, is for sale. It just depends on a mutually agreeable number. Don't ever let someone discourage you by saying something is not for sale, that just means you have to add another zero or two.

#32 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

Just remember, every pen, everyone has, is for sale. It just depends on a mutually agreeable number. Don't ever let someone discourage you by saying something is not for sale, that just means you have to add another zero or two.

So true. But the seller needs to actually have the pen that is for sale.

#33 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

So true. But the seller needs to actually have the pen that is for sale.

Luke, trust the Force.

#34 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Do you really believe that? I've got pens that I would not sell for any amount no matter how many 0's you add to the end. On the other hand some of my pens I would gladly give away and I would probably have problems doing that.
Widget

#35 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Do you really believe that? I've got pens that I would not sell for any amount no matter how many 0's you add to the end. On the other hand some of my pens I would gladly give away and I would probably have problems doing that.
Widget

If you believe that you have pens that are not for sale at any cost, then you are simply fooling yourself, or plain dumb. Memories, family heirlooms, and significant history can all be replaced, for a price. I know that if someone offered a ridiculous sum of money for my grandfathers 51 set, he would come back from the great beyond, and tell me to sell. In the end, you can't take it with you, and your kids will sell it anyway.

#36 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

But why should I sell the pens I love using. I don't need the money there is nothing I want to buy. I promise you that some of my pens will never be sold until I die and I won't be bothered then. I suppose I'm at a fortunate time in my life and can afford to buy the pens I desire without having to sell any. I did sell 3 pens and lost a total of £170 but I can't say it worried me unduly and I was glad to see the back of the MB. My pens are not heirlooms they are just the pens that make me smile when I write with them. None of them are particularly valuable but I still prefer to keep them even if someone offered me a 100x the retail value. I have things in my life that I just will not sell but I never thought a pen would fall into that category. It has always been my pets that were not for sale not inanimate objects. So I guess in your eyes I am plain dumb that money doesn't interest me.

#37 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

If you believe that you have pens that are not for sale at any cost, then you are simply fooling yourself, or plain dumb. Memories, family heirlooms, and significant history can all be replaced, for a price. I know that if someone offered a ridiculous sum of money for my grandfathers 51 set, he would come back from the great beyond, and tell me to sell. In the end, you can't take it with you, and your kids will sell it anyway.

Rick, I say the following with all due respect: while your subject is pens, the underlying philosophy could attach to most any object. In this light, I have to disagree, and note that this is your personal perspective. When you say "memories, family heirlooms, and significant history" can be replaced, I have to say that I do not find that at all my viewpoint, and certainly know other people this way. I have a handful of items from my late father that no compensation or coercion could ever relieve me of. That is just how it is. YMMV, which seems to be the case, but intrinsic value - not monetary - can be a strong and personal worth.

#38 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Back to the pen...I have named it Faust.

#39 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Rick, I say the following with all due respect: while your subject is pens, the underlying philosophy could attach to most any object. In this light, I have to disagree, and note that this is your personal perspective. When you say "memories, family heirlooms, and significant history" can be replaced, I have to say that I do not find that at all my viewpoint, and certainly know other people this way. I have a handful of items from my late father that no compensation or coercion could ever relieve me of. That is just how it is. YMMV, which seems to be the case, but intrinsic value - not monetary - can be a strong and personal worth.

Thank you. I could not beleive that anyone could be so judgemental about someone whose personal circumstances they know nothing about.

#40 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thank you. I could not beleive that anyone could be so judgemental about someone whose personal circumstances they know nothing about.

Well, let's try to remember it is the net, and typed communication, which makes it difficult (sometimes) to judge the tone of a posting. Rick's a good guy, just with a different perspective. I'm sure he wasn't casting aspersions.

Though I wish he'd cast me a few spare pens... ;)

Edited by JonSzanto, 17 September 2012 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users