• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Im curious about the market price for red collectors and clear hoods. What are they going for these days?

#2 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

You mean for a 51 right?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

You mean for a 51 right?

Nope.

Southern pensters. Folks with sunburn And transucent crooks...

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Im curious about the market price for red collectors and clear hoods. What are they going for these days?

Those are some odd parts that you're looking for. What are the chances of having a correct heat stamped demo barrel that needs a hood and collector?

Regards,
George

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Those are some odd parts that you're looking for. What are the chances of having a correct heat stamped demo barrel that needs a hood and collector?

Regards,
George

Though of course the question remains in theory.

Too, the converse poses challenge. If one has spares, finding someone who has a Demo sans proper front end and thus wants to buy parts... poses challenge. ;)

But strange parts requirements do arise (there have been articles)...

There is not a readily defined market, as it depends greatly on how badly one needs parts for actual pen and how eager one is to sell parts from an incorrect (or damaged, etc) pen.

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

You mean for a 51 right?

Nope.

Southern pensters. Folks with sunburn And transucent crooks...

-d

I knew that.. Posted Image

#7 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Regards,
George

I agree, not easy parts to come across. Most collectors keep those parts hoping to find the rest of the pen.

#8 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

I talked to a Parker collector, with a heck of a collector of P51's and earlier pens, and he didn't have them. He said he'd pay $200 for the hood and collector. I wasn't aware that those parts are that expensive to buy...

#9 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Sounds like someone is looking to make a commercial demonstrator....
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

I talked to a Parker collector, with a heck of a collector of P51's and earlier pens, and he didn't have them. He said he'd pay $200 for the hood and collector. I wasn't aware that those parts are that expensive to buy...

So sell it to him...

-d

Posted Image

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

So sell it to him...

-d

I dont have one, im looking for buy them. This particular guy doesn't have any, and he said that's what he'd pay. So id most likely pay a bit more for them.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

I dont have one, im looking for buy them. This particular guy doesn't have any, and he said that's what he'd pay. So id most likely pay a bit more for them.

And that might even make sense... if you have a proper Demo lacking the front end, not just the wrong barrel or an attempt at a custom.

d

Posted Image

#13 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

And that might even make sense... if you have a proper Demo lacking the front end, not just the wrong barrel or an attempt at a custom.

d

It would be a custom, since it somewhat hard to find what im looking for at what i want it at Posted Image Ill probably do something interesting, like a Flighter with a red collector and clear hood.

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

It would be a custom, since it somewhat hard to find what im looking for at what i want it at Posted Image Ill probably do something interesting, like a Flighter with a red collector and clear hood.

Knock yerself out, but no serious "51" collectors will find favor in such a critter, and if you want nice custom, you probably can get an entire pen starting in that range. For a bit more, you can get one of Novak's vintage-celluloid Torrellis.

Shame to spend big chunk for desirable correct vintage parts only to make something a bit silly.

http://nycpens.com/custom_pens.html

Posted Image

regards

d

Posted Image

#15 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

I know that, and hence id post likely put the original parts back on before re-selling since post wouldn't pay an extra few hundred for an original clear demonstrator hood and red collector.

#16 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

A clear hood backed with a red collector might look good on a midnight blue double jewel body with a Sterling silver cap.

Or not.

#17 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

My head hurts.

#18 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

A clear hood backed with a red collector might look good on a midnight blue double jewel body with a Sterling silver cap.

Or not.

That too..

#19 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

To Brandon 0090 - If you want a 51 Demo just buy a kit of parts from Ariel Kullock and stop wittering inanely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users