• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

I have a few questions regarding the Parker Giant pens. Now are the Giant Lucky Curves the same as the Giant Parker 12s? Also what do the prices fall for, for these pens?

Edited by brando090, 14 April 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

Pricing a Parker Giant is difficult as they do not publicly sell on a regular basis. Price will depend heavily on condition though this should be obvious. In my case, I would expect a very good example to cost less than a week at my day job. For others it will cost less and still others, more.

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

Now from what I recall, I think I remember reading $2k for one. Now is the Giant the same as the Parker 12? Also what about examples with bands on the cap?

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

I refrained from answering further because early Parker hard rubber pens are not my focus and I have never heard of a Parker 12 pen.

(Even with my limited knowledge of early Parker HR, I do suspect your 12 means something different and the answer is both yes and no. We shall see.)

#5 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hey,

Your knowledge is most definitely more that what I have. Right now I'm collecting early Parkers and learning as I go.

And yes my 12 means true nib size, I thought it was another BHR pen size, but I was wrong.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hey,

Your knowledge is most definitely more that what I have. Right now I'm collecting early Parkers and learning as I go.

And yes my 12 means true nib size, I thought it was another BHR pen size, but I was wrong.

A Parker Black Giant indeed has a #12-marked nib. A Parker #12 is a different pen

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hey,

A Parker Black Giant indeed has a #12-marked nib. A Parker #12 is a different pen

regards

david

Yes sir, it my my fault for not rereading ;)

Are Giants scare with cap bands?

#8 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

I have a few questions regarding the Parker Giant pens. Now are the Giant Lucky Curves the same as the Giant Parker 12s? Also what do the prices fall for, for these pens?

Hope this might help a little: http://parkercollect...ss=674j133746j6
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#9 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hope this might help a little: http://parkercollect...ss=674j133746j6

Thanks for the great resource. Safely I have checked itvoutv previously, and nothing much to add from it.

#10 csikora

csikora

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Prices can fluctuate widely. Excellent condition ones are hard to come by. The lot below all have flaws of some sort. I would like to have an aftermarket capband installed on one or two of these, simply to stabilize the cracks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

First off, let's level set. All of my comments and the comments of others earlier in the thread pertain to the Parker Black Giant. The Parker Red Giant would change the value discussion completely.

As David noted, the Parker Giant and the Parker #12 are two different pens. Actually, they're very different. If I had a 12 I would photograph it next to a Giant, but alas I do not.

Here's an early catalog page showing the Parker #12. As you can see, it's a bit of a mix of a Parker 6 and a Parker 15, with the conical cap of the 6 with the shell panels of the 15, both having the GF barrel bands.

Posted Image

As far as value, IMHO the Parker 12 should command a higher price than the Giant. The 12 doesn't show up very often at all. The Giant commands a pretty decent price due to cache and its size, but they show up pretty regularly on eBay or on the vendor websites. I personally wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a Giant, and at that price it better be a really clean example with minimal wear. I think you would be hard pressed to get a 12 for less than $1500, and that would be a dicey example.

Lastly, on your question of cap bands, the Giant wasn't offered with a cap band. If you have one with one, please post a photo to further the discussion. The Giant caps I've seen with bands have all been contemporary aftermarket add-ons, usually to deal with a cap lip crack.

Adding in a couple of pieces of ephemera for the Black Giant. The ad is from 1920, near the tail end of the run for the model. The box is pretty scarce. I wish I had the box and not just the photo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#12 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Prices can fluctuate widely. Excellent condition ones are hard to come by. The lot below all have flaws of some sort. I would like to have an aftermarket capband installed on one or two of these, simply to stabilize the cracks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Very nice collection. I do like the translucent barrel, I happen to have the smaller version of that.

Rough around the edges, but you can say you have one where as I don't have mine yet.

Edited by brando090, 14 April 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#13 csikora

csikora

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Very nice collection. I do like the translucent barrel, I happen to have the smaller version of that.

Rough around the edges, but you can say you have one where as I don't have mine yet.

...I can actually say I have four (Giants). Although my personal favorite is the Knights of Columbus emblem pen.

C

#14 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

First off, let's level set. All of my comments and the comments of others earlier in the thread pertain to the Parker Black Giant. The Parker Red Giant would change the value discussion completely.

As David noted, the Parker Giant and the Parker #12 are two different pens. Actually, they're very different. If I had a 12 I would photograph it next to a Giant, but alas I do not.

Here's an early catalog page showing the Parker #12. As you can see, it's a bit of a mix of a Parker 6 and a Parker 15, with the conical cap of the 6 with the shell panels of the 15, both having the GF barrel bands.

Posted Image

As far as value, IMHO the Parker 12 should command a higher price than the Giant. The 12 doesn't show up very often at all. The Giant commands a pretty decent price due to cache and its size, but they show up pretty regularly on eBay or on the vendor websites. I personally wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a Giant, and at that price it better be a really clean example with minimal wear. I think you would be hard pressed to get a 12 for less than $1500, and that would be a dicey example.

Lastly, on your question of cap bands, the Giant wasn't offered with a cap band. If you have one with one, please post a photo to further the discussion. The Giant caps I've seen with bands have all been contemporary aftermarket add-ons, usually to deal with a cap lip crack.

Adding in a couple of pieces of ephemera for the Black Giant. The ad is from 1920, near the tail end of the run for the model. The box is pretty scarce. I wish I had the box and not just the photo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

John thank you very much for the informational post.

Regarding the Parker 12, I had it confused with the nib. The correct nib I read for a Giant should be a size 12 Lucky Curve nib, is this correct? Also the Lucky Curve Giant and Duofold Giant and Black Giant all pertain to the same pen, is this statement true?

Also sadly given the way I'm typing this, im unable at this time to get you pictures. What I can say, is like are Parker Bakelite baby pens, the caps looks just like that. Obviously scaled up, and the bands are right under the screw top, for the clip, and right above the lip, some BHR showing. I take that since its above the lip, its hot hiding cracks. I'll need to check for originality when it arrives.

#15 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

...I can actually say I have four (Giants). Although my personal favorite is the Knights of Columbus emblem pen.

C

Now I thought that was a Waterman, but we're on a Parker forum, so is it Parker?

#16 csikora

csikora

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

C

Now I thought that was a Waterman, but we're on a Parker forum, so is it Parker?

They're all Parker pens. I don't have an interest in early Watermans...too confusing for me.

#17 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

C

They're all Parker pens. I don't have an interest in early Watermans...too confusing for me.

Understandable,

Very similar IMO to the Waterman enamel emblem pens.

#18 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

The correct nib I read for a Giant should be a size 12 Lucky Curve nib, is this correct? Also the Lucky Curve Giant and Duofold Giant and Black Giant all pertain to the same pen, is this statement true?

The nib on a Giant is a number 12, that's correct. I understand there's one or more Giants with number 8 nibs, which are probably non-factory replacements.

The proper name for the model is the Parker Black Giant. I've never heard it referred to as the Lucky Curve Giant. There is not such thing as a Duofold Giant nor would there be any stretch of the imagination to call it that.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#19 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

The correct nib I read for a Giant should be a size 12 Lucky Curve nib, is this correct? Also the Lucky Curve Giant and Duofold Giant and Black Giant all pertain to the same pen, is this statement true?

The nib on a Giant is a number 12, that's correct. I understand there's one or more Giants with number 8 nibs, which are probably non-factory replacements.

The proper name for the model is the Parker Black Giant. I've never heard it referred to as the Lucky Curve Giant. There is not such thing as a Duofold Giant nor would there be any stretch of the imagination to call it that.

Thank you John,

Regarding the number 8 nibs were something im happy you covered as well.

#20 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

Mistakenly I got the Giant mixed up with the Senior. I thought the cap was band less, but a closer look shoes two (missing bands, looking at a picture, so sorry for wasting anyone's time). So I thing what I have is a Parker Duofold Senior/Sir. With two cap bands and its a button filler.

I do apologize if I wasted anyone's time. I did learn a thing or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users