84 replies to this topic

#1 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

On FountainPenNetwork, there is a thread in the Montblanc forum which is called "the rare ones". People do post there Pictures of their pens, of which they think the should be called "rare".

I did some Research here on he board and didn't find that much about vintage Montblancs. But Montblanc was one of the most importand manufatcurer of vintage european pens. I noticed that recently some serious Montblanc collectors joined this board, that's why I thought, we should start a similar thread here. Because I hate to decide which pen is "rare" and which not, I simply called this thread "pics of vintage Montblancs". I think this is focus enough.

...now the bad news: I do not collect Montblanc pens myself! When I came to the Hobby in 2004, Montblanc pens have been already very sought after, and to expensive for my wallet. But during the years, a very few MB found their randomly way to me and stayed. So I'll start with this ones.

Here's the first one:

Posted Image

It's a Montblanc Meisterstück 138 from ca.1939. The pen is a piston filler and is fitted with the famous telescopic mechanism and a steel nib. I got this pen from a friend in bad condition (not the friend). This is one of the few pens I own which I didn't restored by myself. Francis Goossens did a great job in repairing the mechanism.

The second:

Posted Image

This is a Montblanc Meisterstück L139. Probably a pre war example because the cap and the filling knob are made of hard ruber and the barrel has the so called "long window". The pen came to me in perfect condition and I just had to disassemble and clean it and replace the cork seal. Easy job....nevertheless I was quite nervous while doing this :)
There's one thing I'm not sure about: The nib is just plain gold. No platinum plating. I don't know it this is original or not. But there have been no signs of plating on the whole nib.

Posted Image

The third and last for the moment:
Posted Image
Posted Image

This one is a little bit special. It's a Montblanc Meisterstück 124S. S stands for the German word "schraffiert" and means in this context chased. Now, the special thing is the chasing. It's not the common barley corn pattern as known from other 124S. It's a very unique wavy pattern. There has been lots of discussions about this pen, if fake or not and I am not an expert. Defintely not. So I just refer to Tom Westerich who wrote about a pen like this on his own homapage. See here: http://www.caprafico...4s-wavy-pattern

Now. Let's see what pens you have. I am pretty courious to see your collections, specially yours Guy, Bob, Vik, Vasco, Ariel etc...

Christof

Edited by Christof Z, 27 May 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#2 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Nice topic Christof, but I can´t compete with any of those 3 pens!!!

I have some vintage MB hard to find, but I would only say that one is truly rare, a MB 20 from the the late 20'ies early 30'ies with a solid gold overlay. It´s a push button filler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The striated group: 146, 144, 142, 644,642´s striated greens and greys, 246, 244, 242 tiger eyes brown and grey

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a MB 149 from the 50íes, first model, Ebonite ski slop feed, Tri colour nib all celluloid with silver rings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by piscov, 27 May 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#3 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

Vasco
Thanks a lot for posting these excellent pics of your great collection. Of course your pens can compete with my small batch, easily!
I specially like the Montblanc card board boxes. Just great.
Hope that other member will also jump in with some pics. Let's see what happens.
Christof

#4 soot

soot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Late to the party here. Sorry!

Here are my vintage Montblanc pens... [Click on the pictures to see the 1024x768 version]

Posted Image
The Blacks (left to right): 236, 136 War Time, 146
The Colors (left to right): 146 Grey, 146G Grey, 234½ Jade, 234½ PL

I don't have a particular focus in my vintage Montblanc collection (or any brand for that matter); the collection is small in size and sporadic in theme, but they do have one thing in common: the brass telescopic piston mechanism.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

After collecting a certain number of vintage Montblanc pens, I have found their writing characteristics to be individually different from one another and their flexi-ness varies. That is especially the case for Palladium nibs. The Palladium nib on my War-time 136 writes like a dream, soft and responsive, while the other Palladium nib on one of my 234½ (not pictured here) writes very stiff and is close to a nail.

As for modern Monblanc-- I have few 149s laying around... with hard-to-find caps or nibs.

Posted Image
Posted Image
** The Triangle Cap 149 (left) is no longer in my possession **

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
149 KOB nib -- Kugel(feder) Oblique Breit

--- Bob

Edited by soot, 29 May 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#5 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

Hi there,

Traveling at this point but I will send some shots next week.
Regards, Ariel

#6 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

1369873363[/url]' post='25792']
Hi there,

Traveling at this point but I will send some shots next week.
Regards, Ariel

That's great Ariel!
Your collection will be a shocking for some uf us... :)<div><br></div><div>Christof

</div>

Edited by Christof Z, 30 May 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#7 Josephine

Josephine

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Wow.

I adore the striated MBs, but doubt I'll ever afford to own even one of them. Those are GORGEOUS.

#8 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Wow.

I adore the striated MBs, but doubt I'll ever afford to own even one of them. Those are GORGEOUS.

@ Josephine

Sometimes we get lucky and score one for a fraction of the price ;)

@ soot,

Great pens, thank for sharing with us!! I love the 234 1/2 PL, superb and one of my all time favorite celluloids. Would love to have one

The 149 with triangle is very curious, was it made for the Arab market?

The 149 nib/fed/ section in the picture is a bit strange to me. I tough that that feed and nib would always go with a one piece barrel from the 50 in celluloid or from the 60ies already in acrylic.

@ Ariel
Travel fast!! We want to see your amazing collection!!

Best regards
Vasco

#9 soot

soot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

@ Josephine
Sometimes we get lucky and score one for a fraction of the price ;)

Yes, but that doesn't come too often though. :unsure:

@ soot,
Great pens, thank for sharing with us!! I love the 234 1/2 PL, superb and one of my all time favorite celluloids. Would love to have one <<< Vasco, you should get one, they're beautiful to look at! The nib is pretty good too!
The 149 with triangle is very curious, was it made for the Arab market? <<< Yes, it was.
The 149 nib/fed/ section in the picture is a bit strange to me. I tough that that feed and nib would always go with a one piece barrel from the 50 in celluloid or from the 60ies already in acrylic. <<< I thought the same; I didn't know it was possible to fit the older type feed/nib into the newer housings. But then again, I didn't assemble this, I acquired the pen just for the nib and that's how it came to me. I'll swap it out when I get the chance.

@ Ariel
Travel fast!! We want to see your amazing collection!!

+1 on that. :rolleyes:

#10 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Here are somo of my vintage Montblanc pens for your enjoyment...

Green Marbled 25
Posted Image

Green Marbled 322
Posted Image

Black 138 Jewler clip & ring
Posted Image

Black 4 F Lever Filler
Posted Image

Black 314 Original clip, Safety nib: Simplo 4 14 k 314
Posted Image

Set Tiger 242
Posted Image

Set Green 226
Posted Image

Lapis blue 20 Lever filler & Coral HR 25 Lever filler
Posted Image

Black 206 Safety nib: Simplo pen Co # 6
Posted Image

Wood grain 6 Lever filler
Posted Image

Black 4 Pneumatic
Posted Image

#11 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Ariel, the wait was worth it!!! The Lapis and the woodgrain are my favorites!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Best regards
Vasco

#12 soot

soot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

The Lapis and the Wood grain really stand out in this set of pens, beautiful! That engraved band 138 is also interesting too~

#13 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Beautiful old pens in a fantastic condition !

#14 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Thank you Ariel. These are great pens. I specially like the green marbled Meisterstück 25. This is such an atypical pen for Montblanc! It rather would fit between Wahl Eversharp Dorics and faceted OMAS Extras. ..just cool!

This thread will be a fine collection of pics of extraordinary pens! Thanks to all for helping.

Christof

#15 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

I confess the Pneumatic is my favorite Ariel, followed by the woodgrain. I've never seen a pneumatic in person. But they are all beautiful!
--Virginia

#16 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Vasco,
For some reason the colored Montblanc are always very attractive... and lever filler !!!

Christof,
The 25 is Danish production and I found one in the new book about the Denmark Montblanc... the 322, I was told that the color was produced for the Swiss market although I found it in Hamburg !!

Soot,
I was very surprised to find a 138 with such a decoration, I have all the 13.. from 132 to 139 but not as attractive as those from Christof.

Wahl
you are right, their condition is surprising.

Spotted and speckled,
It is the very first time I see a pneumatic, like Chilton, it is very nice to handle.

In the next days i will add a couple of images of the metal ones.
Thanks for your comments
Ariel

#17 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

1370561717[/url]' post='26025']

Soot,
I was very surprised to find a 138 with such a decoration, I have all the 13.. from 132 to 139 but not as attractive as those from Christof.

That's just the photographs Ariel. I would love to photograph a collection like yours. The best will be you bring your pens with you when you're visiting CH next time and we meet for a photo shooting, haha.
Looking forward to see more of your excellent collection. Thanks for sharing.
Christof

#18 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

journeyman

• ADVISORS
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

My Montblanc collection is small and most everything in it has already been depicted (and a whole lot more that I would give a lot to own), but here are a couple of pieces not yet depicted

This first, an early 14 K 744 set

Posted Image

and this 25 safety

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Visit The PENguin
rickpropas@comcast.net

#19 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Just to complete what I offered I add a couple of images, and I have enjoyed the wonderful new pens that came to this topic during the last days.

MB 20 Gold PF

MB 1 Gold Safety

Posted Image

MB 25 Silver

MB 25 Silver PF

MB 2 Silver Overlay Safety

Posted Image

#20 pavoni

pavoni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCheshire, England

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Bravo! You guys have some unbelievable pens. I can't stop returning to this awe-inspiring thread. Fabulous pens, simply fabulous.

Brilliant thread. Please keep them coming.

Pavoni.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users