#1 Pentangle

Pentangle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi,

I'd be grateful for advice, please.

I have several Burnham B48s/51s and have bought cheaply what was advertised as a Burnham pen flanked by 2 dips.  Please see the photos.

I took a chance even though I don't believe that it is a Burnham.  The nib is a Burnham 14 ct and the words 'non-corrosive' appear on the barrel.

The pen looks too streamlined for a company that close in 1965... unless anyone knows any different.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Attached File  Is this a Burnham.doc   116.5KB   18 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Pentangle, 10 December 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hi,

Not sure what happened with the image posts, though they seem to have extra text.  Going into them, I harvested the address that let me pull up an image.

$_12.JPG

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hi Paul,

The lever doesn't "look" Burnham to me.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#4 Pentangle

Pentangle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Thank you, David.

Grateful for your prompt reply, Hugh.  Thanks.  Pengrauncher's site does include some examples of lollipop levers.  However, I agree with you as most are tapered. 

Best.

Paul

#5 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

The middle supposed 'Burnham' pen is a desk pen, missing its stand, and the shape of these hasn't generally changed a lot since the 1920s so the streamlined shape is not an issue.

You say the words 'non corrosive' appear on the barrel, this would have described the original nib, indicating that this would not have been gold but one of the cheaper alloys, so the present 14ct nib would in any case be a replacement. However, I also note from Steve Hull's 'English Fountain Pen Industry' specifically that desk pens, and pens with nibs described as 'non-corrosive', formed part of the Burnham range in 1937, so it is possible that this really is a Burnham. Unfortunately, I have never seen one so I can't be sure myself.

Is there anything on the lollipop of the lever? Either a gothic 'B' or a plain 'BP' would confirm it as a Burnham.

Andy

#6 Pentangle

Pentangle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for your very helpful information, Andy.

The pen is in transit, so I'll respond to the lever question when it arrives.

Best.

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Burnham, burnham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users