23 replies to this topic

#21 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

It might be nice to give it to Greg or to hang onto it in a junk box. A Sheaffer #3 nib is a humble, small-ish nib. It is one for which replacements today can be found pretty easily.  Will that be true in 20 years?  WIll it be worth more than scrap then?  Putting aside dollar value, will someone need that nib as our hobby progresses?

Unless you need the bucks, and I respect it if you do, I would like to see even a tipless nib meant to go in a collectable pen not disappear from the pool.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#22 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Will

My guess is that re-tipping would exceed the value of the nib.  Check with Greg M

There is a point of diminishing returns and I think you are there.  Alternatively there are those out there (pen folk) that will buy nibs for scrap possibly later to repair.

Jerry

#23 Mastersmith043

Mastersmith043

journeyman

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

It might be nice to give it to Greg or to hang onto it in a junk box. A Sheaffer #3 nib is a humble, small-ish nib. It is one for which replacements today can be found pretty easily.  Will that be true in 20 years?  WIll it be worth more than scrap then?  Putting aside dollar value, will someone need that nib as our hobby progresses?

Unless you need the bucks, and I respect it if you do, I would like to see even a tipless nib meant to go in a collectable pen not disappear from the pool.

regards

david

That was the thing. I cringe whenever I ask after pens and the people tell me that they pulled the nibs out to sell for scrap, and I didn't want to be the one to do that. I know that the nib itself isn't very special, but -at the risk of appearing sappy- it was special to someone at sometime, and I don't want to be the one to destroy that, when it could be special again with a bit of work. 

Wow. Yeah, really sappy.

Will

My guess is that re-tipping would exceed the value of the nib.  Check with Greg M

There is a point of diminishing returns and I think you are there.  Alternatively there are those out there (pen folk) that will buy nibs for scrap possibly later to repair.

Jerry

Jerry, 

I was thinking the same thing. I know that Greg Minuskin sells nibs by themselves occasionally, and I was hoping to give it to him in partial trade for the retip that I need on my Burgundy Oversize Vacumatic. He may not take it, but I know of anyone, he'll treat it right. 

Will

Check out my fledgling pen blog: http://kimballspens.blogspot.com

#24 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

Will

You know if you don't ask you will never know.

Scrap/repair value ca $8.00 or so.  Gold value has crashed.  To David point and it is well taken thye aren't making these kind of nibs anymore and when this one is gone it's gone.  I too have that dilemma, I have a monster Moore Monarch and the nib has a major crack.  Repairable?  Yes, but the price for the repair nearly exceeds the value of the pen.  The nib is an 8 size and would sell for about $150 in excellent condition.  So, I take it to pen shows and if someone is interested I will sell the whole pen.  That way it stays in the mainstream of pendom and does not end up in some melting pot.

Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users