Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Fp collecting - just started during my Christmas break about a month ago. I received a karas Bolt pen and that created interest in good gel ink refills which brought me to boards and forums where the FP rules... I had to have one. My first FP was a cheap Scripto that looks great and now jas a new nib. Then I purchased a Twsbi Mini, some ink and a few pads. Then came the discovery of the John Mottishaw Falcon flex youtube videos. I had to have some flex! I ordered a Serwex MB with flex (really enjoy it) and recently I was on the hunt for vintage FP. That brings me here. I purchased a Parker thrift time of some sort that needed some repair (i'll start a new thread). I'm almost done with the repair as I only need a new sac and some shellac now.

On a personal side I'm a very avid golfer (around scratch) and an art director for a custom club company. FP seem so natural of a hobby for me since my passion for typography is something I work at everyday. I never thought much of calligraphy - just typefaces - untill recently. I've really enjoyed a lot of examples and videos of hand crafted phrases and lettering. In college I spent a lot of time learning about type and character design, yet very little on handwriting. Well, here I am... Ready to learn!

Thanks, Ryan

#2 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Welcome!

​You will find the folks here at the FP Board really knowledgable and very friendly, and frankly, a much more learned audience willing to help you out. This "IS" the place to grow and to know about fountain pens!

My wife is a master calligrapher www.janettakahashi.com and we are also close friends with Michael Sull www.spencerian.com In fact, he is coming to our home for the L.A. Pen Show this week and will be teaching classes in San Diego, and other locations (outside the L.A. Pen show, for the L.A. Pen Show Organizers forbid any workshops to be taught that people have to pay to attended/learn) and will spend some down time with me doing some "tourist" activities like going to the beach.

​If there is something I can do for you, please let me know!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#3 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hi Greg,

I recognize your name! I've been reading the boards feverishly the past few weeks and you are a well respected NIbmeister? I would love to attend the LA Pen Show, but I have a new baby at home, so travel is not an option at the moment. One reason I've really grown to like this hobby is I can stay home and enjoy it! Golf takes about 5 hours out of my day to play a round, so FPs are more realistic at the moment.

-----

Here is the pen that brought me to this board. I'm interested in it's history, value, etc.

http://fountainpenbo...-a-1935-parker/

Thanks, Ryan

#4 ac12

ac12

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, SFO

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Ryan

Wait till August and the SF Pen show.

It will be a lot closer than LA.

BTW there is a Pen Posse that meets in Millbrae.

Next meet up will be

Post-LA Pen Show Pen Posse

This is the annual post-LA recap pen posse.

Sunday Feb. 23rd @ 1:00 pm
Peter's Cafe
10 El Camino Real, Millbrae
CA 94030

#5 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Awesome. I did not realize there is an SF Pen show. August is a perfect time to beat the Sacto heat with some cool Bay area air.

Thanks

#6 Wahl

Wahl

journeyman

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Welcome to the Board, Ryan !

#7 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

Hi Greg,

I recognize your name! I've been reading the boards feverishly the past few weeks and you are a well respected NIbmeister? I would love to attend the LA Pen Show, but I have a new baby at home, so travel is not an option at the moment. One reason I've really grown to like this hobby is I can stay home and enjoy it! Golf takes about 5 hours out of my day to play a round, so FPs are more realistic at the moment.

-----

Here is the pen that brought me to this board. I'm interested in it's history, value, etc.

http://fountainpenbo...-a-1935-parker/

Thanks, Ryan

Hi Ryan!

Yes, I have a presence in the pen world, albeit a minor one and not sure about the level of "nibmeister" but thank you! 

Congrats on your new family member! 

For sure, the SF show will be closer for you. I am going to sign up, and I think I can get Michael Sull to come out,  and teach calligraphy, so it may well be worth your time to attend. 

Nice pen you bought; David I, our fearless leader, is the guy to know for this pen, and glad he told you about that pen.

Hope to meet you soon!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#8 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

As I said before I've very new to this passionate hobby. I thought I'd share why I am so thrilled with this new adventure of FP everthings....

I've been the "artist" in the family. I don't consider myself one at all. iIm a graphic designer. Similar tools, concepts and techniques, but the end result and goals are very different. An artist satisfies self while the graphic designer has to satisfy an audience to learn a task, buy a product, become informed, etc. very different responsibilities. FPs motivate me to be a bit more of an artist. I draw more now, so that I can use my FPs.
My handwriting has improved as I practice.
There's a fun ritual type experience of prepping a pen, cleaning it, inking it...
I can stay home and doodle with my daughter. Golf is my main passion, and that takes away from family time.
The hunt for GAS!! G.ear A.quisition S.yndrom. Finding new notebooks with good paper, new inks, new nibs etc. It's a treasure hunt.

Here's a drawing I just did for my daughter's homework... Second graders learning about fossils.
[attachment=1052:image.jpg]

#9 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

Also of interest: the aforementioned Pen Posse has an occasional meeting in Sacramento. None on the schedule right now but that can be remedied.

Welcome to the group!

--greg

#10 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Also of interest: the aforementioned Pen Posse has an occasional meeting in Sacramento. None on the schedule right now but that can be remedied.

Welcome to the group!

--greg

Hi,

What goes on during the Posse meetings?

#11 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

Oohing, ahhing, eating, sharing, laughing, eating, learning, giving, taking, resaccing, filling, spilling, chilling, eating, tuning, flossing, smoothing, writing and meeting. Plus some other random stuff.

#12 ac12

ac12

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, SFO

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

There is another Pen Posse this Sunday

Pen Posse Post PPPC Meeting March 16th

Since the PPPC is on March 15th, I figure we'll have another Pen Posse the day after for pen overload. I think we will have more SF Pen Show discussions at this one.

This one is back to our normal place and time.

Sunday March 16th   1:00pm

Peter's Cafe
10 El Camino Real
Millbrae, CA 94030

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users