Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

HI,

I recently aquired this little Parker. I'm just starting off in this hobby, so this is my first restore. I've done as much research as I can, but value seems to be the hardest to find. I've found a lot of info on this site and here's what I gather...

It's very likely a thrift time Parker, and I rarely see pictures of this style.

The nib and barrel have 45 on them.

The blind cap and clip cap match the barrel's color

All the pieces (3 part pressure bar, nib, feed, button, caps, clip, and bands) seem very well used/old, but they are all in working condition... sac is in the mail! No chips, but there is a lot of wear and a small crackrunning from the bottom of the cap to the first band. I can only see it with my loupe.

I've done some dip ink tests with it as the sac is not yet here. I really like the nib! It has a flex that I would say is much like my Serwex MB flex (I also have VERY little experience with flex, so that nib opinion is only worth 1 cent.)

Please educate me on the value, history, name, etc. I think I may part with it to help fund a more modern purchase.... I'm jonesing for a Pilot Falcon with Mottishaw flex nib for daily use.

Attached File  cap_close.jpg   67.42KB   0 downloads

dip test, not yet fit a new sac:

Attached File  nib.jpg   25.04KB   0 downloads

Attached File  nib_flexed.jpg   96.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  parker_1.jpg   94.91KB   0 downloads

#2 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

45 = 4th qtr 1935 Thrift Time/Depression pen. Contact Ron Zorn if you want to explore getting the cap lip crack repaired.

#3 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

Once the new sac is on what do I price this FP? I've only found one exactly like it (that looked to have less barrel browning on Peyton Street Pens). What is the protocol for listing something like this? How do I package it? Is it even worth selling?

Edited by Finalist, 11 February 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Hi Finalist,

I'm need another nap and have to run some errands before night shift at hospital.  Won't do pricing this minute, but later.  However, I offer you the web's only real discussion about the Challenger-like Parker "thrift" pens. 2 pages

link-  Parker's, "Challenger-like Thrift Pen"-- link

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

Hi Finalist,

I'm need another nap and have to run some errands before night shift at hospital.  Won't do pricing this minute, but later.  However, I offer you the web's only real discussion about the Challenger-like Parker "thrift" pens. 2 pages

link-  Parker's, "Challenger-like Thrift Pen"-- link

regards

david

Thank You!

#6 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

neat pen, but....

for pricing, I offer that the bright green area near the top of the cap is unstable plastic. 

with the discolor and the unstable plastic "crystalization" 

you might just be best to hold on to it. 

Retail, with the condition issues, taking into account the nib, maybe $60-$90, in that neighborhood.

For collectors of this series, there is not a lot of appeal due to condition, for users, that is about the price point for the flex nib. 

This pen in prime condition would easily fetch $175-$250 maybe more. 

#7 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Rick!

I saw the exact pen, refurbished by pros and in better condition for $105 on Peyton Street pens, so I was thinking $90 is the max I could expect based on their pen. Your value seems right to me... But I'm very very wet behind the ears in all this. If I can sale it I get that much closer to the Falcon needle point flex that I'm lusting over daily. The hobby is so new for me it's hard to convince my wife to let me spend $250 on a pen... For now! :) ... But I will! Gotta have the current "grail" pen!

#8 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:35 AM

Sac is now installed and I'm letting the shellac dry before ink testing. I did try the sac installed and used water instead of ink with no shellac added and everything worked great! The button filler is very smooth!
I'll post real ink test and final pics later.

Thanks for all the help.

#9 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

Sac is now installed and I'm letting the shellac dry before ink testing. I did try the sac installed and used water instead of ink with no shellac added and everything worked great! The button filler is very smooth!
I'll post real ink test and final pics later.

Thanks for all the help.

#10 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Maybe it's the photos, but the nib looks like it's lacking iridium on the tip. Is it definitely there?

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#11 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Maybe it's the photos, but the nib looks like it's lacking iridium on the tip. Is it definitely there?

There is definitely not a ball of metal like there is on my TWSBI, but the bottom of the tip has something. I'll post a pic when I get home.

What does that signify? Normal? Used up?

#12 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

I'm going to post this pen for sale soon.

Any suggestions on price or anything is appreciated.

#13 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Here's picture from this morning. I have the sac installed and everything working well. The nib is definitely a different feel than my Serwex MB flex. The unflexed line is thicker, but it flexes much easier and over all feels softer. Here's a sample in Apache Sunset on Leuchtturm1917.

I'll post a better nib picture once I'm back home.
Also, I must be limited on file uploading size? Pics have to be under 37k?

Attached File  image.jpg   25.74KB   0 downloads

Edited by Finalist, 16 February 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#14 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

Nib pics.

Attached File  image.jpg   13.44KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   13.55KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   15.72KB   0 downloads

Server size isn't allowing me to post high res.

#15 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

There is definitely not a ball of metal like there is on my TWSBI, but the bottom of the tip has something. I'll post a pic when I get home.

The resolution and size is way too small on your photos to see what kind of iridium is there. These nibs would not have had a ball of iridium like the Vac nibs and those newer than that. It could be that there wasn't much to begin with or that it's wearing down. But as long as you have some, then you're not writing directly on the gold.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#16 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

The resolution and size is way too small on your photos to see what kind of iridium is there. These nibs would not have had a ball of iridium like the Vac nibs and those newer than that. It could be that there wasn't much to begin with or that it's wearing down. But as long as you have some, then you're not writing directly on the gold.

I have high res pics, but I can't post them on this site as the memory upload won't allow anything higher unless I'm mistaken. I can email them or post them on the other FP forum sites? There is definitely iridium (non gold metal) on the sides and bottom.

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

HI,

Certainly try to cut images to 1000 pixels wide to fit. Al\so, there is relatively low storage per post,, BUT you can use our GALLERY at top of page for nearly unlimited  image storage..

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#18 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

Thanks!

I created an album titled, Parker Thrift Time 1935.
I did not realize the gallery is what it is. I'll definitely have something new to explore now.

#19 Finalist

Finalist

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:38 AM

Is this the same exact model? It has the Emerald coloring, all caps are emerald, three rings of the same size, the nib looks to be the same with the same imprint, and barrel has the same imprint.

http://m.ebay.com/it...WATCHING_ACTIVE

$350!!! Whaaaaat!?
I know the ebay FP is in better condition, but what makes this pen so much more than all the Thrift Time Challengers out there?

Edited by Finalist, 17 February 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#20 Paul-H

Paul-H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

Because its being sold by an ebay Chancer that's what makes it worth so much ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users