brando090's Content

There have been 715 items by brando090 (Search limited from 01-July 23)

Sort by                Order  

#17742 Ebay Sumgai or Dumbgai. Sheaffer Pen.

Posted by brando090 on 11 September 2012 - 08:35 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Just need the pencil now Posted Image

#17500 Rather Special Sheaffer Snorkel

Posted by brando090 on 03 September 2012 - 04:59 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Solid gold though I know not what carat level in wavey line or pseudo fish scale pattern.

Most are usually 9k, so that's my .2 cents.

#15519 Waterman "Oriental" Overlay. Happy David.

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 04:33 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Let's just say, he wasn't a very knowledgeable seller :)

#17902 Greetings from Portland, OR

Posted by brando090 on 16 September 2012 - 03:33 AM in Say Hello!

Ah, Rick, there you are! That was an excellent dinner, in fact. Look forward to seeing you in the future, possibly in Ohio - let's see if my planets align.

Brando, I've been thinking of starting with the "pocket pens" that Pilot, Platinum and Sailor all seemed to produce for a good long time.

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

John M.

Im not sure what a pocket pen is... Could you brighten my horizon, would this be it? Im almost thinking ringtop, but im somewhat sure that the three companies listed didn't make ringtops.

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/251140523328

#17906 Greetings from Portland, OR

Posted by brando090 on 16 September 2012 - 03:48 AM in Say Hello!

Im not sure what a pocket pen is... Could you brighten my horizon, would this be it? Im almost thinking ringtop, but im somewhat sure that the three companies listed didn't make ringtops.

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/251140523328

A pocket pen is 99% of all pens, that which goes (or can go) in a pocket. Unlike a desk pen

regards

david

Thanks, never heard the term used before.

#24689 Waterman 94 Moss Agate Stages-of-Manufacture set

Posted by brando090 on 05 May 2013 - 06:52 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

What a fine array of dummy pens! Thanks for sharing these.

Agreed, very cool indeed. Great display items.

#24577 Happy, Happy Vasco!!!

Posted by brando090 on 04 May 2013 - 02:54 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Beautiful Montblancs, and though I've never owned one, they are truly great writers, even exceeding their hype of the brand.

#18219 Sunday finds.... figured we would share a day's haul

Posted by brando090 on 24 September 2012 - 08:15 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Nice lot Rick, that Olive ripple desk pen sure is nice Posted Image

#17292 Killer Trio of 1930's Sheaffer Balances. Recent Finds.

Posted by brando090 on 30 August 2012 - 04:24 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Between ebay and the Washington DC Pen Show August 2012, I added the following three 1930's Sheaffer Balance pens to my collection

The black pen at left is the charming "stubby" (full girth but short). The fuchsia pen is a long slender and the black pen in foreground is a short slender.

Posted Image

Anything catch the eye?

regards

David

The pattern's on the cap bands?

#17301 Killer Trio of 1930's Sheaffer Balances. Recent Finds.

Posted by brando090 on 30 August 2012 - 05:08 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

The pattern's on the cap bands?

That indeed is part of it. Now, if you were spending a few tens of dollars at the PCA and thus receiving PENnant Magazine, instead of just buying pens here n' there, you'd know even more :)

Still, there is a bit more to the pens and more we can expand on the theme...

regards

david

Posted Image Well, sometimes i splurge on a book or two Posted Image I think you posted a Sheaffer reply a while back showing off some Sheaffers, of course this has to be experimental, non-cataloged right?

#15526 Waterman "Oriental" Overlay. Happy David.

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 05:02 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Dont even get me started on the 10-15 you'd keep. I know that RHR silver overlay Waterman 20 baby would be one of them :)

Regarding this oriental pen, there was one on ebay that sold a few months back for under $200.

#16210 Parker Jack Knife Safety 23-1/2 New In Box

Posted by brando090 on 17 July 2012 - 02:17 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Thant is M-I-N-T!

#16032 What is it?

Posted by brando090 on 09 July 2012 - 05:35 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Did you win that auction? I was bidding on it, but i didn't see many pens that i liked. I was also not sure what the fifth pen was from the left, it looks to be some sort of switch filler. Im not sure what that means, :rolleyes:. The jade set is very nice, and is probably worth $60+, the Waterman nicle trim 52, $70,etc.

#16034 What is it?

Posted by brando090 on 09 July 2012 - 08:00 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Interesting sliding lock feature. I don't know this one, Boston did a couple variations, patents on these started arising just after 1900. Rhodes Lockwood had one in 1903. He was President of Davidson Rubber which supplied hard rubber to many of the pen makers of the day.

Roger W.

Maybe a hump filler?

http://www.pensandwa...pen_company.htm

#18236 Skyline - Multiple Bands

Posted by brando090 on 25 September 2012 - 11:16 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

This one is also interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c674ff030

Nice condition, that's for sure.

#15811 Lucky Auctions

Posted by brando090 on 02 July 2012 - 03:15 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Somebody got very lucky. Even if the pens are missing their nibs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300735558578

Wow! I wonder who bought this lot! There is a beautiful unknown/Waterman hand etched/acid etched sterling silver full overlay pen, almost looks like a full length 0552 1/2. Also all the Parkers easily payed off the lot.

#16176 What Waterman RHR Pen

Posted by brando090 on 15 July 2012 - 06:49 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

I remember bidding on a Waterman RHR pen like this, and i believe it went in the $700-1000 range, and it was a checkbook pen or something i think. Just to double check, can you guys assist me...

https://picasaweb.go...469592668968018

#19420 Dasi, Australia's first FP manufacturer.

Posted by brando090 on 14 October 2012 - 03:31 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Thank you for the history on a great small pen company.

#16180 What Waterman RHR Pen

Posted by brando090 on 15 July 2012 - 08:09 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

What do you think it is? Im not sure if its Waterman, but im going to assume :)

#17313 Who won this auction?

Posted by brando090 on 30 August 2012 - 04:09 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Mr Saskatoon
It is truely right and just to feel uneasy about this post.
Jerry Adair

I apologize that i like the pens.

#16270 What Waterman RHR Pen

Posted by brando090 on 22 July 2012 - 05:59 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

possibly an Onoto or Eagle.

The Waterman checkbook pen has a very specific look and having handled some in the past they are unmistakable as anything but. If you collect Watermans I would highly recommend Gary Lehrer and Max Davis' book Waterman past and present, it's a terrific pictoral reference guide especially if you are not familiar with the models.

Thank you, i want/need the book, i just havent bought books in a long time, and i rather spend $80 on a pen that a book. I need used copy's Posted Image

#16188 What Waterman RHR Pen

Posted by brando090 on 15 July 2012 - 09:26 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

What do you think it is? Maybe a sylograph?

#17557 Skyline - Multiple Bands

Posted by brando090 on 06 September 2012 - 12:15 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Beautiful pens!

#17641 G vs. GF vs. GP vs. ??

Posted by brando090 on 08 September 2012 - 04:42 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Fairly straightforward for UK made pens. Solid gold overlaid pens (vintage or modern) will always bear a full set of UK hallmarks showing a letter that indicates date of marking, with fineness (ie number of carats), assay office and sponsor's (maker's) marks. The full set of marks will normally appear on the largest part (barrel), each removable part (cap, for instance) will also bear a partial set of marks, and of course the date letters should be the same on each piece if all the parts are original. Solid gold bands are not always marked in the same way as minimum size regulations varied over the years, so you do see solid gold bands just marked '9ct', especially pre-1930.

Most other overlays of a gold appearance would be of rolled gold (often marked 18ct RG). Rolled gold is made by pressure bonding a thin sheet of gold onto a brass substrate, the layer of gold is much thicker than in gold plating and so it should be more durable. Beware false hallmarks that were sometimes applied to RG to confuse or deceive! 'Gold filled' is not a term normally associated with UK pens - I've always assumed it to mean the same thing as our RG but I could be wrong in that. Gold plating is not generally seen on UK pens.

If you have access to back copies of the WES Journal, my article on the hallmarks found on Conway Stewart pens in no. 75 (2006) may be worthwhile background reading!
Andy

I also appreciate your input, i see alot of 9k overlay pens pre 1930. Did they ever make pens with 18k overlays?

#17130 Who won this auction?

Posted by brando090 on 24 August 2012 - 04:27 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Here's how you contact the buyer: go into the seller's feedback - this lot is not listed yet, meaning the seller hasn't been paid/left feedback so you'll have to check back for a few days - scroll through until you find that lot and the buyer's name will be listed. Click on the buyer's name and up pops his/her feedback along w/ a link to "contact member". This doesn't always work; some sellers list so many lots that they don't get around to leaving feedback.

You'll need a pretty good offer if you want to buy the entire lot; the buyer probably likes overlays as much as you do. I've got a 50% success rate trying to buy one item out of a lot. One buyer countered w/ an acceptable price, the other said he had bought that particular pen for a customer (odd that it reappeared on ebay a month later...Posted Image ). Just be polite so you don't get into problems w/ ebay.

Thanks, will do.