JonSzanto's Content

There have been 228 items by JonSzanto (Search limited from 10-May 23)

Sort by                Order  

#35844 Gold Bond by Waterman

Posted by JonSzanto on 10 July 2014 - 08:03 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I have 20 of the 94's (one is a 494).

headwall.jpg

#35860 Found a Vintage Parker With My Name On It

Posted by JonSzanto on 13 July 2014 - 12:06 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Shouldn't that read "ultimately assimilated"? :)

#35864 Pennant/PCA

Posted by JonSzanto on 14 July 2014 - 01:09 AM in Greetings + Latest News

Does that mean it's a big secret?

#35867 Pennant/PCA

Posted by JonSzanto on 14 July 2014 - 02:12 AM in Greetings + Latest News

Aha. I hope to see Paul in San Fran and can chat. I've been vocal, including to him, about what a great job he has always done in his position. This does not please me, unless it was Paul's choice.

Thanks, David.

#35880 From the "wow, ain't that gaudy department" comes...

Posted by JonSzanto on 15 July 2014 - 04:06 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Good grief, John - whatever you do, don't drop that sucker on your foot. That'll be a trip to the ER for certain.

I have a story with photos for this thread, but will have to wait a bit. Until then, use it wisely. :)

#35899 From the "wow, ain't that gaudy department" comes...

Posted by JonSzanto on 16 July 2014 - 01:59 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

For absolute shits and giggles I bought a Jinhao Dragon pen last year, which I dubbed "The Pen of Unrepentant and Universal Hideosity". I was fascinated by just how massively clunky and gaudy it was, in a non-blingy way. Far beyond was an orb that, in person, looks for all the world like Sauron's Eye:

jinhao-dragon-08a.jpg

You can use this not only as a pen (though it isn't a great writer), but as a club - it weighs 82 grams. When I got it (for < $20), I realized that not only did the orb rotate freely, you could shake the damn thing like a maraca (not sure if this will embed or not):

I scare my cats with it.

#35903 From the "wow, ain't that gaudy department" comes...

Posted by JonSzanto on 16 July 2014 - 03:50 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Are you sure that isn't a Montegrappa? Apologies to fans of Sylvester Stallone Montegrappa LEs.

I believe I originally posted that (elsewhere) in a thread that was all about the dread "Chaos" pen. I figured this was at least as ugly, just a lot cheaper. :)

#35921 Look at my new little Conklin.... what is that?

Posted by JonSzanto on 17 July 2014 - 04:58 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Prozac.

#35934 Skyline gurus: color question...

Posted by JonSzanto on 17 July 2014 - 10:01 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

I'm aware that there are all manner of derby/cap/barrel combinations, but I don't know if there is a precise listing anywhere. Since they are separate parts, I suppose they could be mingled. Therefore, I ask:

A pen with both derby and barrel of Navy Blue, with a cap of Red/Green stripes: is this kosher, or a Frankenpen?

#35941 Steel Quartz vs Grey Pearl

Posted by JonSzanto on 18 July 2014 - 05:35 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Swoon. Again.

#35967 Skyline gurus: color question...

Posted by JonSzanto on 20 July 2014 - 06:09 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Apparently, a question too mundane to elicit even a single response. I saw mention on the vintagepens site that this was an "uncommon Army-Navy" color configuration, and was wondering if this was a moniker given by collectors, or something that refers back to the initial marketing. 

#35969 Skyline gurus: color question...

Posted by JonSzanto on 20 July 2014 - 07:07 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Thanks, David. Not meaning to cast aspersions, and I'm posting in-between crises anyway. Just a curiosity to keep my mind off of real life.

I did land a Shadow wave this week, which made me a bit happy!

#35976 Skyline gurus: color question...

Posted by JonSzanto on 20 July 2014 - 05:38 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Hi, Widget - yes, this is the pen that caused the question, I just felt odd about linking to the post (I discussed it with him on Fountain Pen Geeks).

Well, things are still sucking very hard here at home, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, as I've found a wonderful assisted living facility for my mother. Still some hurdles, but I'm hoping we are now heading towards the best possible last period for her.

#35982 A kerosene lamp? Isn't this a pen discussion board?

Posted by JonSzanto on 20 July 2014 - 11:09 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

It's a vintage bong. ;)

Looks to be in immaculate shape - is it actually pewter or something? The emblem is lovely.

#35988 A kerosene lamp? Isn't this a pen discussion board?

Posted by JonSzanto on 21 July 2014 - 03:41 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I'm patting myself on the back, out here on the West coast, for guessing pewter. Good night. :)

#35993 Another lot saved from the pot

Posted by JonSzanto on 21 July 2014 - 06:55 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

The only 1 I have seen is the Masterpiece on here and Matt said it was the only lever fill and the top of my barrel doesn't look the same.  What am I missing?

You could do worse than taking a look at Richard Binder's site for information on things like this.

#35995 Another lot saved from the pot

Posted by JonSzanto on 21 July 2014 - 07:50 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Yes, now I am seeing this. I frequently get in over my head, and should learn to clam up. If any pen forum knows what's up with this pen, this one will.

#36015 Magic Lantern Slides

Posted by JonSzanto on 21 July 2014 - 11:39 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

What a great article it would be, and also deserving of a web page (as the graphics are illuminated, as it were). Make it so.

This is one of my favorite parts about FPB: getting to know some of the high-end collectors in the hobby. Pat, I hope some day to have a chance to meet you, as I delight in your collections. The following actually made me laugh out loud:

"Since I knew nothing about them, and had never seen one, I naturally said yes."

#36027 Conway Stewart Manufacturing (UK) ltd

Posted by JonSzanto on 22 July 2014 - 05:35 AM in BRITISH PENS

What a fucking joke. The biggest personal attack and bout of incivility was RichardandTracy's thoroughly unprofessional screed against MikeW. The absurdity rivals that of Beckett.

#36035 Conway Stewart Manufacturing (UK) ltd

Posted by JonSzanto on 22 July 2014 - 02:55 PM in BRITISH PENS

Well put, David. I've been fortunate to separate issues from people, and am happy to have a convivial repartee with Mary on other social forums.

#36039 Conway Stewart Manufacturing (UK) ltd

Posted by JonSzanto on 22 July 2014 - 03:15 PM in BRITISH PENS

It doesn't seem like you are going to enjoy a 'convivial repartee' with richardandtracy anywhere soon though, Jon!

Ya think? ;)

#36093 Moore set in box. Late 1930's/early 1940's?

Posted by JonSzanto on 29 July 2014 - 12:13 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Company data really is sparse after about 1930. I'm guessing this model to 1940+

My recent major discoveries include some Moore literature from 1932 and 1939 which apparently even Ross McKinney has not yet seen. Probably will show as PENnant article soon.

I'm going to necropost here to ask: David, did that lit ever see the light of day? I ask because I've added to my Moore lineup, and I'm curious to know the full range of materials in the 1940's era pens, specifically the 94A models. I really do like these pens, and as long as I've gotten a few it may make sense to try to complete a set (something I rarely do).

I've also seen a couple of those pens you show above, including one that was for sale just about a week ago. There is another color combo that I saw referenced on just one site, and it was stunning. I'll keep my eyes peeled over the coming years.

Anyway, if you have any sources of more catalog/advert info from that later era, I'd love to know where to look for deepening my knowledge.

#36096 Moore set in box. Late 1930's/early 1940's?

Posted by JonSzanto on 29 July 2014 - 12:53 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Thanks, David. I imagine it is just going to end up a compendium of original materials (ads, etc) and observed examples through people's collections. Sometime next week I'll do a shoot of the handful I have, which I hope to expand on. Again, I'm grateful to you for exposing me to these handsome and well-made pens.

#36099 Moore set in box. Late 1930's/early 1940's?

Posted by JonSzanto on 29 July 2014 - 04:14 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Yes, thanks, I've seen that thread. My latest arrival (today) is just like the first in the first photo, a 94-A brown/grey, and it is stickered as well. No rush on things, maybe I'll get lucky in SF in a couple weeks myself. BTW, in Googling (ack, in between making assisted care arrangements for Mom) today, I came across a Zoss thread from 2011 that ended up with some great photos from Jim Knight, among others.

David, I know the Zoss list has been around forever, and that these various modes of communication ebb and flow. Would it still be a valuable thing to join in, or have forums mostly replaced that particular gathering? Long-time collectives can be difficult for a newb.

#36101 Moore set in box. Late 1930's/early 1940's?

Posted by JonSzanto on 29 July 2014 - 04:48 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Mostly as I suspected, thanks.