gweddig's Content

There have been 40 items by gweddig (Search limited from 15-May 23)

Sort by                Order  

#39827 WTB - Parker 51 desk pen

Posted by gweddig on 24 February 2015 - 03:10 PM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

I think I can help you. Just picked one up last weekend, Aero, black, it's soaking now. I've yet to open it up and check the internals. Will try to send a photo later today.

It's in fine shape internally. Though it seems to have a Vac "51" feed with a Vac length (short), "Teflon" breather tube. No vent hole in the tube. I don't have a correct feed available. I'm putting in an appropriate length Teflon tube with a vent hole. Pictures still to come.

--greg

gallery_16310_207_295970.jpg

#39897 WTB - Parker 51 desk pen

Posted by gweddig on 01 March 2015 - 05:22 AM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

Greg,

The plastic tube and feed are likely correct.

Thanks Farmboy, Is that a late "51" feature or deskpen or some reason unknown?

#39967 What's up at FP Geeks??

Posted by gweddig on 05 March 2015 - 11:01 PM in Greetings + Latest News

There are several active Google+ Fountain Pen groups. Not sure how many more are needed.

While we wait, write with your pens.

I'd be interested to know how to contact them?

Here are three that I belong to:

"Fountain Pens"

"Pen Fiends"

"Fine Writing"

If one searches for "fountain pens" in Google+ you will find dozens of Communities.

#39939 What's up at FP Geeks??

Posted by gweddig on 05 March 2015 - 02:35 PM in Greetings + Latest News

Good for you Dan, hope that the break is productive. Look forward to seeing what's coming.

Edited to add: a post on another forum indicates that it's not Dan's doing. I hope he gets it worked out with his partners.

#39957 What's up at FP Geeks??

Posted by gweddig on 05 March 2015 - 07:51 PM in Greetings + Latest News

There are several active Google+ Fountain Pen groups. Not sure how many more are needed.

While we wait, write with your pens.

#37483 WE'RE A WEEK AWAY FROM HAVING A BABY SALE

Posted by gweddig on 26 September 2014 - 05:34 AM in Pens for Sale

Got the pens today. Hope everything goes well with the baby.
Thanks again!
--greg

#37667 Waterman Lady Patricia Ink-Vue-Type I (2-pc barrel)

Posted by gweddig on 07 October 2014 - 02:47 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

I believe the original had the rubber washer and I have always included it.

#37687 Waterman Lady Patricia Ink-Vue-Type I (2-pc barrel)

Posted by gweddig on 08 October 2014 - 10:12 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

The ones I have done always had a rubber washer on the "floor". Sometimes it was hardened and very difficult to differentiate from the floor. As Richard says it is a sealing surface and I can't imagine it being very efficient without it.

Marshall & Oldfield (edition 2 & 3) do not mention the washer, I have a note on the Ink-Vue Mk I page about the size as a reminder.

--greg

#39774 They should all clean up nicely

Posted by gweddig on 20 February 2015 - 05:12 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

A recent find, farm fresh:

(L to R)

Montblanc pencil (modern)

Sheaffer Balance:  I think it's an oversize but I have to do a little comparing.Tight lip crack but good color (photo shows a little darker).

Sheaffer Balance Combo, need to research what years these were in the catalogs and if the band was an indicator of anything other than trim level, ie: early/late etc.

Carter's Inx? Is there a model name for this or just a number? (in this case 10125) The color seems to be good, though is this a color that warrants a silicone sac? Also of note is the top of the cap has an "(88)" engraved or "86" in parenthesis. Has anyone seen this before?

Golf style pencil marked "Germany".

gallery_16310_207_350579.jpg

#36082 Summer road trips & small town antique stores

Posted by gweddig on 27 July 2014 - 05:37 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Great finds! I hope there are some good stories with some of those.

--greg

#36279 Sheaffer Pontiac Reverse trim for how much...

Posted by gweddig on 08 August 2014 - 02:33 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

That was helpful, thanks. Basically what I was guessing. It's been sitting in the case for several years, I'll wait another 5 years and make another offer. I can get a lot of pens for 300$.

Now let's hear some stories from the show.

--greg

#36276 Sheaffer Pontiac Reverse trim for how much...

Posted by gweddig on 07 August 2014 - 09:38 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

First of all I didn't get a photo but I have a line on a Balance set, Grey Pearl Striated, reverse trim (gold) with a badge on the clip.  Badge is also gold and has an infilled enamel red "indian" head with the words "Service Craftsman" or "Craftsman Service". It was a little hard to see the imprint on the nib but I believe it was a 5.

Edit: Seems to the the same as the one David shows here. (top right example)

Pen and pencil seems to be in good shape, no cracks.

Owner is asking $300 which to me for an unrestored Balance seems to be on the high side. Owner cites the Pontiac cachet for the high value, I'm not seeing that even with the emblem.

Am I too cheap?

#39875 Sheaffer Balance -- pressure fit?

Posted by gweddig on 27 February 2015 - 11:06 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Typically yes.

#36053 Rusted vac-fill rod

Posted by gweddig on 24 July 2014 - 01:35 AM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

No wonder the rod didn't want to move. I try to pull the rod out just a bit so as not to break off the feed tail when unscrewing the section. This one was a bear.

gallery_16310_207_392408.jpg

#36071 Rusted vac-fill rod

Posted by gweddig on 25 July 2014 - 08:35 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Discovering the inside of the barrel is crusted with rust but not ink strangely enough.

#36264 Public Domain Pen Documents Now Online

Posted by gweddig on 07 August 2014 - 05:14 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

...collecting undergarments worn by Mae West, Lana Turner, and Judy Garland. ...... And maybe Donald O' Conner. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm.

Agreed... would those be seperate forums?

#36197 Public Domain Pen Documents Now Online

Posted by gweddig on 05 August 2014 - 05:57 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Thanks for the clarification Roger. I was not kidding, I was just not aware of the source of all of the PCA's materials. If I found something on the Internet Archive I would absolutely think it would be a good thing for the PCA archive to have, if only to have relevant data together. (It would be morally dubious to transfer the files from the Archive too.)

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm well aware of the amount of work that goes into digitizing materials like this and I appreciate the PCA's efforts.

--greg

#36192 Public Domain Pen Documents Now Online

Posted by gweddig on 05 August 2014 - 05:24 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Interesting discussion. Just a thought, can it be said that the files at the Internet Archive were obtained from the PCA and not vice versa.
I could not find an upload date on the files at the Archive, though it might be worth digging for.
Did the PCA scan them? Or simply receive them in a file form from a generous member? (who may have uploaded them prior to providing them to the PCA)

--greg (PCA member, now ducking)

Edited to add that the creation date on the four files seems to be December 2008.

#40986 Parker Lucky Curve #24

Posted by gweddig on 17 May 2015 - 02:29 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Good find JBB!

The nib looks like it needs a little work too. Hopefully you'll get to see an intact example of the Lucky Curve feed.

--greg

#40700 Parker Eyedropper

Posted by gweddig on 30 April 2015 - 04:08 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

I was asked to look at a friend's small collection and see what I could repair, there was a Skyline, Parker 21, and a few modern pens that needed a soak and this...

"granny's old pen".  It's out of my range of knowledge but what I can tell is eyedropper, intact Lucky Curve feed, two deep chased gold bands, flexy stub nib, "6" in a circle at the end of the barrel, good color and chasing.  Maybe a "6L"?

I told her to keep it out of the light and the section may need a soak to clean it out.  Didn't take it with me. I asked if she had ever written with it, "no". So we dipped it, wrote with it, rinsed  and put it away to dry.

I said she needs to baby it because it's a very old and relatively valuable pen, was I pretty accurate?  Apologies for the lousy photos.

gallery_16310_207_2271.jpg

gallery_16310_207_215976.jpg

gallery_16310_207_5339.jpg

gallery_16310_207_58751.jpg

#39899 Never before seen (?) Sheaffer Balance mini collection.

Posted by gweddig on 01 March 2015 - 05:29 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

They seem to be missing something.

#40847 Moore B-15 cap needed

Posted by gweddig on 08 May 2015 - 05:06 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

FWIW I'm looking for one for a Moore Safety. There is one that keeps showing up on eBay for an unreasonable price (for me anyway).

In other words, bump!

#37443 Mom found some pens

Posted by gweddig on 23 September 2014 - 04:55 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Oof. What a good mother!

#36884 Interesting Parker?

Posted by gweddig on 03 September 2014 - 05:49 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I don't know where to start on this one. I'm not a big 'early rubber Parker' guy but still, where to start.

Rare Antique Parker Lucky Curve.

I'll drive down, knock on his door and offer him $20.

#36226 Interesting pair of Sheaffer's auctions

Posted by gweddig on 06 August 2014 - 05:09 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

I would have gone for at least one. Like David says lots of nibs. Plus all the nice looking caps. I'd be a little at a loss with all those desk pens besides parts and I don't have that kind of volume.

I might hit you up for one of those Snorkel tubes at the show.

--greg