53 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

At the Los Angeles Pen Show, February 2011, I picked up the last Sheaffer pencil I needed to complete my collection of 1932-ish Sheaffer Balance in Blue (blue/white marbled), a short run and relatively scarce Sheaffer color. I've slowly put the set together, when items became available in reasonable fashion.

When hunting Blue Balance, be aware of some of the core condition issues that affect them. On most pens the dark blue panels appear black, a small thing as the color still looks great. I know no one who objects to this. Might not have a choice anyway, as save for pencils, all seem to be somewhat affected. I don't mind it. More concerning is when the light blue background fades, often moving to a darker blue/gray. That hits the eye appeal. One must watch for hairline cap lip cracks. All general grading issues of course remain in play.

The series was made only in slender size, with nib suggesting third tier status (the 3-25 nib later would be replaced in other Balances of this tier with the #3 nib). Unlike most early Balance colors which features three slender sizes- long, short and petiite (extra short), the Blue Balances is found only in long and petite slender sizes. Later in the general Balance run most 3rd tier slender Balances would be offered only in long and short.

I've been accumulating Blue Balances probably 10 years. I'd guess one who goes to several pen shows a year likely could put together the set in a year or so, but I was in no rush so waited for "right pen right price".

All these are pretty clean. The long pen probably has the most discoloration of barrel, although that flaw still is fairly mild, and which in the photo is minimized by the bright flash photography, done outside the usual lightbox.

Here is the challenge for readers: While the collection below is a complete Sheaffer Balance collection in Blue, it is not a complete collection of Sheaffer products in Blue. What other Sheaffers can one find in this color? (I'll ask Daniel to hold back for a bit, as I know he knows and indeed bought one of the remaining items recently)

Small and large images below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the challenge for readers: While the collection below is a complete Sheaffer Balance collection in Blue, it is not a complete collection of Sheaffer products in Blue. What other Sheaffers can one find in this color? (I'll ask Daniel to hold back for a bit, as I know he knows and indeed bought one of the remaining items recently)

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 June H

June H

journeyman

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

At the Los Angeles Pen Show, February 2011, I picked up the last Sheaffer pencil I needed to complete my collection of 1932-ish Sheaffer Balance in Blue (blue/white marbled), a short run and relatively scarce Sheaffer color. I've slowly put the set together, when items became available in reasonable fashion.

When hunting Blue Balance, be aware of some of the core condition issues that affect them. On most pens the dark blue panels appear black, a small thing as the color still looks great. I know no one who objects to this. Might not have a choice anyway, as save for pencils, all seem to be somewhat affected. I don't mind it. More concerning is when the light blue background fades, often moving to a darker blue/gray. That hits the eye appeal. One must watch for hairline cap lip cracks. All general grading issues of course remain in play.

The series was made only in slender size, with nib suggesting third tier status (the 3-25 nib later would be replaced in other Balances of this tier with the #3 nib). Unlike most early Balance colors which features three slender sizes- long, short and petiite (extra short), the Blue Balances is found only in long and petite slender sizes. Later in the general Balance run most 3rd tier slender Balances would be offered only in long and short.

I've been accumulating Blue Balances probably 10 years. I'd guess one who goes to several pen shows a year likely could put together the set in a year or so, but I was in no rush so waited for "right pen right price".

All these are pretty clean. The long pen probably has the most discoloration of barrel, although that flaw still is fairly mild, and which in the photo is minimized by the bright flash photography, done outside the usual lightbox.

Small and large images below:

Posted Image

regards

David

Could it be a jack knife? I have seen knives with the same colours which remind me of Fountain Pen colours. Not this colour.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Could it be a jack knife? I have seen knives with the same colours which remind me of Fountain Pen colours. Not this colour.

Creative guess. :)

I have never seen such a thing, though that does not preclude existence

No, in this case I reference writing instruments.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Golf pencil, I'd think.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Golf pencil, I'd think.

Tim

Hi Tim,

A sound stab, but I've never seen a golf pencil in this color, and there is no known documentation to suggest that item.  Too bad really... I'd like a GP in that color.There is something else...

regards

david

Posted Image

#6 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

I guess I'm not smarter than I look.

It surely can't be a ball pen... which leaves a dip pen holder. Does such a thing exist?

Tim

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

I guess I'm not smarter than I look.

It surely can't be a ball pen... which leaves a dip pen holder. Does such a thing exist?

Tim

Nope ;)

-d

Posted Image

#8 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Desk pen just occurred to me as conceivable as well, though unlikely.

Tim

#9 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

If it's not a golf pencil (my first guess) and it has to be a writing instrument (that eliminates a holy water sprinkler), that leaves.....a pen with a telephone dialer end or a desk pen?

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Desk pen just occurred to me as conceivable as well, though unlikely.

Tim

Nope ;)

-d

Posted Image

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

If it's not a golf pencil (my first guess) and it has to be a writing instrument (that eliminates a holy water sprinkler), that leaves.....a pen with a telephone dialer end or a desk pen?

Nope, though I wish they'd done those.

-d

Posted Image

#12 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

A combo??

#13 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

Oooo, sneaky. Sheaffer products obviously includes sub-brands... like WASP and such... or even flat bottomed Sheaffer Jr pens. The key words are "Sheaffer Balance". Must be a non "Sheaffer Balance" pen (or pencil, I suppose).

Tim

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

A combo??

I wish...

-d

Posted Image

#15 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Oooo, sneaky. Sheaffer products obviously includes sub-brands... like WASP and such... or even flat bottomed Sheaffer Jr pens. The key words are "Sheaffer Balance". Must be a non "Sheaffer Balance" pen (or pencil, I suppose).

Tim

A truncated-Balance Jr? I once had such a pencil in red veined grey pearl.

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Tim

Better. ;)

Sheaffer indeed produced in this color the flat-ish-end Sheaffer Junior-- often called by collectors today the "Truncated" Balance, as it has a bit of taper to cap, looking rather like a Balance with the ends chopped. By around 1936 the Junior label was incorporated as a Balance, proper, as a slender model in short and long (long might have appeared bit later, not sure). But pre 1936 and intro'd perhaps as early as 1933 (there is no formal catalogue out between 1929 and 1935) the truncated pen was the Junior. The pen is well known in gray/black, gray/red and black. Far scarcer is the blue. I don't have one in blue.

d

Posted Image

#17 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Ha ha! Maybe I'm smarter than I look, after all.

After I typed "WASP and such" I recalled something about Daniel and Sheaffer Jr pens. That was the other big clue.

Yes, you can call me Sherlock. ;)

Tim

#18 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Nice collection, David. You better hide those under lock and key!
I have seen many of them but never in that condition.
What size FP's are those? Vest, Petite, Junior?
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:01 PM

Nice collection, David. You better hide those under lock and key!
I have seen many of them but never in that condition.
What size FP's are those? Vest, Petite, Junior?

Hi Pedro,

The smaller is Petite (Slender, extra short), which is Sheaffer's formal name for what many collectors do call vest pocket. The longer pen is the long slender. Blue Balance is found only Petite and long slender.

regards

David

Posted Image

#20 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:59 AM

Hi Pedro,

The smaller is Petite (Slender, extra short), which is Sheaffer's formal name for what many collectors do call vest pocket. The longer pen is the long slender. Blue Balance is found only Petite and long slender.

regards

David

David;

It is actually found in the classic setup of long clip, short clip and ringtop (long and short refering to the pen length, of course). This classic three option setup was used from the early 1920's with the 22 Student Special, 46 Special and the Secretary lineups.

Roger W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users