#21 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:34 AM

David;

It is actually found in the classic setup of long clip, short clip and ringtop (long and short refering to the pen length, of course). This classic three option setup was used from the early 1920's with the 22 Student Special, 46 Special and the Secretary lineups.

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

Certainly a useful parallel to earlier pens, but note my response to Pedro was accurate. He did not ask about trim configurations, just about sizes. The image of course shows the three variants for both pen and pencil, as per your note.

Don't get me started on the triple deco band version that should be arriving soon...

... Just kidding ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#22 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

:)

#23 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

The gap between the top and bottom half of the pencils is easy to correct. It happens when the brass tubes that line the barrel slip a bit from their original position after years of pulling the top off.

Interesting. I'd been under the impression the gap was created after 80 years by slight celluloid shrinkage on the metal. I know some restorers will grind a bit of the metal away to allow better fit, but the gap never really bothered me. You solve it, how, by sliding the plastic back after heating or some such?

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#24 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

I generally don't hunt pencils, per se.

But, I do like pen/pencil sets, so I am amenable to buying pencils that complete sets of interest to me. Too, I don't object to grabbing decent vintage pencils, when they are priced right as part of larger collection purchases.

This thread has addressed Sheaffer's Blue (marbled) celluloid, used relatively briefly on the Balance line. I note too that the Junior (truncated Balance) was produced in this color. I don't own a truncated Balance yet in this color, though I know where some lurk.

I note, too, that I am fond of pens/pencils with original price/model stickers.

At the Ohio Pen Show November 2011, as part of a pile of pens purchased, I acquired a second ring-top Sheaffer Balance in blue. An example already was shown in this thread, but this one no doubt is a bit of an upgrade to my personal collection.

Or... Happy David

Posted Image

regards

-d

Posted Image

#25 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Here's mine:
Posted Image

Now, where's that triple deco band? ;)
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#26 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Here are the Jr versions. The picture may not show it well but they have flat tops and a flat bottom on the pen barrel. The pen has a Sheaffer Junior nib.

Pat

Posted Image

#27 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

Here are the Jr versions. The picture may not show it well but they have flat tops and a flat bottom on the pen barrel. The pen has a Sheaffer Junior nib.

Pat

Posted Image

Hi Pat,

Thanks for showing that set, which is quite rarely seen. Have you published that image before? I don't recall any online discussion showing the truncated Balance in blue.

regards

David

Posted Image

#28 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

David, no. I just took the picture this afternoon after you started this thread. These guys had just been lurking in a slotter box for years previously.

Pat

#29 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

David, no. I just took the picture this afternoon after you started this thread. These guys had just been lurking in a slotter box for years previously.

Pat

Well, then, thanks again :)

That our wee website manages to pull some of your interesting pens into the public eye bodes well for the Board. I'm glad we are managing to develop some topics that catch the attention of those with grand collections.

regards

david

Posted Image

#30 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

Pat

Posted Image

This is just absolutely grand!

The color has to be about as good as it gets, and I think the white furniture really works with this color. Plus, the angularity of the color patterning really fits with the flat ended shape of the pen.

Game over. This one wins.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#31 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

It is quite interesting that the Blue Sheaffer Jr's have truncated tops and bottoms.
Was Sheaffer unsure of the design's success? Truncated ends in the Blue only?
Pedro

#32 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

It is quite interesting that the Blue Sheaffer Jr's have truncated tops and bottoms.
Was Sheaffer unsure of the design's success? Truncated ends in the Blue only?

Hi Pedro,

The truncated pens are catalogued as Juniors in the 1995 catalogue, iirc, though Blue does not appear.

The flat Juniors appear to be Sheaffer's introduction of "Junior", which-- by 1936 (earlier?) morphed truly into a Balance pen. Perhaps introducing a Junior line, Sheaffer initially feared to corrupt the cachet of Balance with a low price point, but later said, "ah, heck, let's do it". This is, obviously, speculation, but does parallel our other speculations of this sort, such as our attempt to explain Parker introducing Jade celluloid as a very Duofold-like non-Duofold, before releasing it with Duofold markings.

Note that Blue is not shown in period Sheaffer catalogues, though there was a gap irrc from 1930-1935 for catalogue appearance, and noting iirc, that a 1932 or 1933 price list insert found with some 1930 catalogues, does mention Blue. I do have Blue pens imaged in a Sheaffer non-catalogue paper from around 1931-2.

It is likely that the Blue Junior (as "truncated-Balance") pen had vanished from Sheaffer's line before the 1935 catalogue appeared, which did show other colors in this model/shape.

Too, "truncated Balance" is, i believe, collector jargon for these flat-end pens, noting though that they really do look like chopped Balances, which in retrospect, might be what they are/were.

Fun stuff.

regards

David

Posted Image

#33 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:18 AM

Here is a gift to the hobby and to this thread, something iirc I promised Roger I'd post several months ago. I grew... distracted.

As noted above, Blue was not shown in the Sheaffer catalogues. There was a catalogue skip period of around 5 years.

Thus, this 1932 bit of Sheaffer-to-dealer literature has a bit of added power. I have not seen similar posted online, though of course I have not seen all that is posted online.

1932 dated paper (illustration of course could have been done earlier), showing flat-top Jade, yellow items (known to those who know), and... blue.

Nice stuff.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#34 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

David;

The desk base shown in your picture is #913 in the October 8, 1931 Retailers Review. Also, in that review is pictured the 2N25 Ensemble with the N meaning blue. The typical trio was available being the long clip, short clip and ring top. The blue Sheaffer Juniors were likely later still as colors often roll down to lower models as time goes on. The blue balance was certainly a Christmas item for 1931 and would have likely been available into 1932. Very nice display.

Posted Image

Curiously enough this is labeled 905 and not 913. 905 is a number I have no reference for though desk sets being factory mislabeled happens 1-2% of the time in my experience.

Roger W.

#35 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:32 AM

At the Los Angeles Pen Show, February 2011, I picked up the last Sheaffer pencil I needed to complete my collection of 1932-ish Sheaffer Balance in Blue (blue/white marbled), a short run and relatively scarce Sheaffer color. I've slowly put the set together, when items became available in reasonable fashion.

When hunting Blue Balance, be aware of some of the core condition issues that affect them. On most pens the dark blue panels appear black, a small thing as the color still looks great. I know no one who objects to this. Might not have a choice anyway, as save for pencils, all seem to be somewhat affected. I don't mind it. More concerning is when the light blue background fades, often moving to a darker blue/gray. That hits the eye appeal. One must watch for hairline cap lip cracks. All general grading issues of course remain in play.

The series was made only in slender size, with nib suggesting third tier status (the 3-25 nib later would be replaced in other Balances of this tier with the #3 nib). Unlike most early Balance colors which features three slender sizes- long, short and petiite (extra short), the Blue Balances is found only in long and petite slender sizes. Later in the general Balance run most 3rd tier slender Balances would be offered only in long and short.

I've been accumulating Blue Balances probably 10 years. I'd guess one who goes to several pen shows a year likely could put together the set in a year or so, but I was in no rush so waited for "right pen right price".

All these are pretty clean. The long pen probably has the most discoloration of barrel, although that flaw still is fairly mild, and which in the photo is minimized by the bright flash photography, done outside the usual lightbox.

Here is the challenge for readers: While the collection below is a complete Sheaffer Balance collection in Blue, it is not a complete collection of Sheaffer products in Blue. What other Sheaffers can one find in this color? (I'll ask Daniel to hold back for a bit, as I know he knows and indeed bought one of the remaining items recently)

Small and large images below:

Posted Image

Here is the challenge for readers: While the collection below is a complete Sheaffer Balance collection in Blue, it is not a complete collection of Sheaffer products in Blue. What other Sheaffers can one find in this color? (I'll ask Daniel to hold back for a bit, as I know he knows and indeed bought one of the remaining items recently)

regards

David

Just Curious David; how stable is this color vs. the other color combinations? I have only seen this blue marble once in person.

Greg Minuskin

#36 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

Just Curious David; how stable is this color vs. the other color combinations? I have only seen this blue marble once in person.

Greg Minuskin

Seems not to suffer from fluorescence or from crazing, something more common to pearlescent celluloids.

The dark blue panels often appear black (pens more than pencils, suggesting fading not original), with caveat that if the light blue portions are intact, the "black" vs dark blue looks just as nice and has no value impact. Indeed I wonder if the cut/thickness of the dark blue areas affect which appear blue, which black.

The light blue does fade to a less appealing gray-blue, barrel more than cap, suggesting ink/sac effects more than intrinsic instability or sun effect. Cap-lip stress cracks occur with moderate frequency.

Preservation of the light blue color contributes to value.

regards

david

Posted Image

#37 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

Greg;

As far as coloring I get into this one. Your looking for a bright blue with hints of purpling. The barrel seems to suffer more often and to give a sense here I would say look for the telltale signs of the pen looking muddy. They only came in the smaller size 3-25's (and juniors) and the smaller sized pens are often more stable.

Roger W.

#38 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Q: Blue colour Balance pens were made in what years?
I always seen it with the long humped clip.

Comment: At Columbus, one vendor was offering a couple of Parker 51's made from Sheaffer's Blue celluloid! It looked beautiful, the colour was perfect. Wish I had taken a pic.
Pedro

#39 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Comment: At Columbus, one vendor was offering a couple of Parker 51's made from Sheaffer's Blue celluloid! It looked beautiful, the colour was perfect. Wish I had taken a pic.

Pedro;

As the 3-25 they were made 1930-1932 - they were certainly available thru the Christmas season in 1931 so made/available into 1932. Also, consider that as a junior it was likely made a bit later than 1932. Daniel possibly has more details on these.

Roger W.

#40 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hi Pedro,

You will see Bob Novak again, as he attends the major shows routinely. The Torrelli-made custom 51's made from vintage celluloids indeed are sweet.

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users