#41 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Pedro;

As the 3-25 they were made 1930-1932 - they were certainly available thru the Christmas season in 1931 so made/available into 1932. Also, consider that as a junior it was likely made a bit later than 1932. Daniel possibly has more details on these.

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

I believe we don't know the Blue Balance was made 1930-32, though it might have been. IIRC, so far there are images out showing pens during 1931-2?

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#42 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for your replies but, since mine has a pinned lever, I thought it was a first year or 1929 pen.
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#43 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for your replies but, since mine has a pinned lever, I thought it was a first year or 1929 pen.

Hi Pedro,

As always, there are challenges to pinning dates on any pen.

Blue was not shown in the 1930 catalogue. I've not heard of any Sheaffer paper showing it that early. These observations do not preclude a 1930 release. I can but cite what is known to me.

Too, we need to know when the pinned lever began to cease use, and then we need to know if it ceased use across the entire product line at once... or not.

Always more to figure.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#44 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Hi Roger,

I believe we don't know the Blue Balance was made 1930-32, though it might have been. IIRC, so far there are images out showing pens during 1931-2?

regards

David

David;

'31-32 possibly into '33 but not listed by October '33. I inadvertently pushed it up a year.

Roger W.

#45 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hi Roger,

regards

David

The 1930 Catalog's Order Blank lists the Blue Balance, although it is not a pictured colour.

3-25 Line
N3TC Blue large $3.25
N3MC Blue short $3.25
N3MR Blue short with ring $3.25

Pencils
NTAC Blue regular $3.00
NMAC Blue Short $2.50
NMAR Blue with ring 2.50

So it does make sense that a Blue pen can have a correct pinned lever.
Pedro

#46 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

The 1930 Catalog's Order Blank lists the Blue Balance, although it is not a pictured colour.

3-25 Line
N3TC Blue large $3.25
N3MC Blue short $3.25
N3MR Blue short with ring $3.25

Pencils
NTAC Blue regular $3.00
NMAC Blue Short $2.50
NMAR Blue with ring 2.50

The order blank is for Christmas sales in 1932.

Roger W.

#47 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

3-25 Line
N3TC Blue large $3.25

SNIP

Hi Pedro,

I have vague recollection, that the price sheet you mention, though included with a 1930 catalogue, had a later date on it. Have to double check... or you can.

regards

David

Posted Image

#48 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

Then why is it in the 1930 catalog?!?!? Posted Image
Pedro

#49 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Hi Pedro,

That it is there, and that it is dated later, are what we have. All else... speculation.

One sound hypothesis was that it was done to give collectors headache 80 years later.

No?

Roger's reasonable model, iirc, is that with the hit from the Great Depression-- correlating to a five year gap in catalogue issue-- Sheaffer simply continued to use an already printed (at least already designed) catalogue, and simply during the next couple years released it with an updated order sheet. Makes sense, I s'pose.

-d

Posted Image

#50 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

Pedro;

You answered your own question - the blue balances are not in the 1930 catalog so what is it doing there? As David stated I would support that this catalog was the catalog for a number of years. It had most everything in it and was updates with the retailer reviews of which I think there were a lot done we just need to find them.

Roger W.

#51 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

SNIP 1932 dated paper (illustration of course could have been done earlier), showing flat-top Jade, yellow items (known to those who know), and... blue.

Posted Image

Whoa! Take a look near the top of that counter-top display and note the reference to a "Catho-Glo" light, then go here http://www.bulbcolle...article005.html for an article on the actual neon bulb used in the display (I referenced this site a while back in Roger's desk lamp topic). Roger, you're going to want more than just a bulb....

#52 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

My collection of Blue/Black, it should cover all the blue/black balance models

Posted Image

Mostly 3-25, except the one on the right is truncated balance and the 3rd from the right is Balance with #3 nib but I don’t have any prove whether #3 nib appeared in blue/black balance, any comment ?

Note : it should be Blue/Dark Blue as David said at the beginning, but I am still prefer to call them blue/black as the dark blue looks black to me :D

CC

Edited by snorkelcc, 09 January 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#53 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

...and we thought you only had Snorkel's ;)
Thanks for sharing, that's a nice group. On some pens the dark blue has turned rather black but on others you can tell it's blue, hence the confusion. Mine has the 3-25 nib.
Pedro

#54 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Note : it should be Blue/Dark Blue as David said at the beginning, but I am still prefer to call them blue/black as the dark blue looks black to me :D

I believe Sheaffer just called 'em "Blue", which circumvents symantic issues entirely.
;)

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users