46 replies to this topic

#41 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

I am sending another picture of the black junior. I don't want you to think I don't know black for burgundy. It is a very poor effort with pen photo. I was trying to be artistic at 1:am in the morning. Here is a better picture of the centre pen. It is indeed just over 5inches or 13 cm. I am surprised about the pencil. I thought everyone had tons of pencils. I am also impressed what infomation you all can glean from pictures.

Yep the Burgundy Canadian 1950-53 Vac Junior. There is one (with comments couple posts later) in the original post to this thread. Not common. Never made in USA. Less common even among the late Canadian pens than Major.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#42 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:21 AM

vacumatic juniors (which appeared in all three generations--some have double jewels, some are mottled, etc. so there's quite a variety) always have two bands and typically monotone nibs, being the "economy" line. standards are first-generation vacs--two jewels always. it's the major and the junior that look very much alike, except for the different cap bands.

i'll leave it to david i. to deal with the striped sections on the debutantes ;)

Both the standard and the junior are approx the same size. What makes a standard and a junior different. Date? Also not that bothe of the dubutantes have not got black sections?

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#43 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

vacumatic juniors (which appeared in all three generations--some have double jewels, some are mottled, etc. so there's quite a variety) always have two bands and typically monotone nibs, being the "economy" line. standards are first-generation vacs--two jewels always. it's the major and the junior that look very much alike, except for the different cap bands.

i'll leave it to david i. to deal with the striped sections on the debutantes ;)

Hi,

Debutante was a high-line miodel, indeed the last routine long-running high line model to be introduced. As such one would expect striped sections until striped sections in general gave way to black sections in early 1939. Of course, Canadian pens had black sections all along. Since the pens were introduced in 1938, only USA made pens with 1938 and some with early 1939 imprints will have striped sections.

Noting again that Burgundy Junior striped pens were never made in USA and only late in game in Canada, I offer image of a gem set I offered year or so back.

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#44 NABodie

NABodie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

I didn't think I saw a 2nd Gen Deb in here yet. Here is one I've had awhile with Star clip. The blob under the clip popped rt off when it was being polished.

Posted Image

..........oh and here are the rest of my Burgandy Vacs.

OS, Standard, 2nd Gen Major, 3rd Gen Major and Deb.

Posted Image

Interesting, I had not noticed before I made this shot tonight that the 2nd Gen is 5 3/8" Long Major.

#45 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:05 AM

A bit of Photoshopping to bring out the red color of NABodie's red pens.

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#46 amble63

amble63

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

In contrast to my uber-ambered burgundy, this one is rather transparent:
Posted Image