#21 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

Hi
In that case, please allow me to present my "Ripley`s" content.

Regards
Paul.

Great set Paul. I've seen- I'd guess- fewer than 20 of the Ripley's pens over the years. Many had issues. As with most old writing tools, pencils are more scarce than pens. I doubt I've seen five pencils in my time in the hobby and have owned only one.

Thanks for sharing.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#22 amble63

amble63

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

And after all that detective work, THIS looks remarkably like my pen, right down to the nib: http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...=STRK:MEWAX:IT. A late model Canadian (hey, I'm a late model Canadian, so I guess that works for me). Of course I'm speculating a bit, since the imprint is so weak on mine but what is discernible seems consistent with the pen on eBay.

#23 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

that would be a vacumatic standard then. i have one exactly like yours, also canadian, date-coded to 1935 with a black section and an amazing flexible nib, a lucky buy a few years ago in london's portobello road for 35 pounds. have you tried writing with yours? often as not, my canadian vacs have the sweetest nibs. (as you can see from this shot, it had been mislabeled as a 50s pen):

Posted Image
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#24 amble63

amble63

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:14 AM

that would be a vacumatic standard then. i have one exactly like yours, also canadian, date-coded to 1935 with a black section and an amazing flexible nib, a lucky buy a few years ago in london's portobello road for 35 pounds. have you tried writing with yours? often as not, my canadian vacs have the sweetest nibs. (as you can see from this shot, it had been mislabeled as a 50s pen):

Posted Image

ah, I remember you posted a picture of this on FPN. I had to send my pen off to Danny Fudge for a new sac and I asked him to smooth the nib. It is now a gorgeous writer, especially inked up with Diamine Oxblood.

#25 June H

June H

journeyman

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

ah, I remember you posted a picture of this on FPN. I had to send my pen off to Danny Fudge for a new sac and I asked him to smooth the nib. It is now a gorgeous writer, especially inked up with Diamine Oxblood.

Here are my burgundy vacumatics. Wondering what the size are? I should say all of these pens are Canadian

#26 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

a very quick read, left to right:

a standard, much like the one i posted above, about 5"; a debutante, about 4-5/8"; a black junior, not a burgundy, also around 5"; a pencil to go with the debutante; another debutante. very nice pens!

#27 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

a standard, much like the one i posted above, about 5"; a debutante, about 4-5/8"; a black junior, not a burgundy, also around 5"; a pencil to go with the debutante; another debutante. very nice pens!

Hi Jose,

Note the bonus with the pencil ;)

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#28 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

you got me there, david--i know next to nothing about vac pencils (i know, an all too common lacuna even among avid pen collectors)--aside from your observation that the rarest ones are often harder to find than the pens. :( your intervention will be most welcome.

#29 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hi
In that case, please allow me to present my "Ripley`s" content.

Regards
Paul.

Ouch! Nice!
Only second pencil I've seen depicted!

I have two Ripley's, one marked Vacuum Filler, one imprinted Vacumatic. This is the VF:

Posted Image

/Tony
Posted Image

#30 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

you got me there, david--i know next to nothing about vac pencils (i know, an all too common lacuna even among avid pen collectors). :( your intervention will be most welcome.

Note cap larger than barrel. Most pencils not like that. Injector/Repeater pencil. In USA pretty much just couple months or so production around start of 1939, bridging the earlier 1.1mm lead and later .9 mm writefine lead.

regards

david

Posted Image

#31 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

ah, so.... thanks! i should start paying my pencils more attention--i just stash them away somewhere!

#32 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

very nice pen, tony. i don't suppose this just turned up somewhere in sweden ;)

Ouch! Nice!
Only second pencil I've seen depicted!

I have two Ripley's, one marked Vacuum Filler, one imprinted Vacumatic. This is the VF:

Posted Image

/Tony

#33 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Shot this long ago. Still, it has merit... I suppose.

Can you identify the pens and quirks?

//snipped//
regards

David

Only one I could add to this line-up is this one:
/Tony

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

very nice pen, tony. i don't suppose this just turned up somewhere in sweden ;)

Nope, bought it from Lynn Sorgatz many years ago.
Posted Image
/T
Posted Image

#35 amble63

amble63

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

okay, here's a dumb question. Both my vac and the one in eBay listing I posted have a nib that says "Duofold" - is this common or just random luck?

Anna

#36 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

not common to me at all--haven't had one in my 80+ vacs--and would seem to indicate nib replacements.

#37 June H

June H

journeyman

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

I am sending another picture of the black junior. I don't want you to think I don't know black for burgundy. It is a very poor effort with pen photo. I was trying to be artistic at 1:am in the morning. Here is a better picture of the centre pen. It is indeed just over 5inches or 13 cm. I am surprised about the pencil. I thought everyone had tons of pencils. I am also impressed what infomation you all can glean from pictures.

#38 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

thanks for the new pic. seems like i'm the one who doesn't know black from burgundy ;) but it was hard to tell from the first pic.

if it's a burgundy junior then your have a truly rare (i think that word would be justified here) pen. i'm sure david i. will chime in on this one. congrats!

#39 June H

June H

journeyman

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

thanks for the new pic. seems like i'm the one who doesn't know black from burgundy ;) but it was hard to tell from the first pic.

if it's a burgundy junior then your have a truly rare (i think that word would be justified here) pen. i'm sure david i. will chime in on this one. congrats!

Both the standard and the junior are approx the same size. What makes a standard and a junior different. Date? Also note that both of the dubutantes have not got black sections?

#40 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

Only one I could add to this line-up is this one:
/Tony

Posted Image

There goes Tony again... upping the ante with the solid-gold-cap-band Canadian pens.

I really hate when people do that ;)

... as per this thread...

Vacumatic collection solid gold cap-bands. Canadian

Couple of those shots. Are we into shown-and-brag yet? Posted Image

Should be some red in the bunch...

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users