brando090's Content

There have been 715 items by brando090 (Search limited from 01-July 23)

Sort by                Order  

#16476 Bargain Pen Storage. Hamilton Cabinet on ebay...

Posted by brando090 on 02 August 2012 - 04:14 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Hamilton's are great, but i needed something smaller. After alot of research on design's, i found a Hamilton that would be perfect, but was overprices IMO. Id buy it, if that took the 1 and 6 away, and exchanged the 6 for a 2. So, id been eyeing this case for a while, and i finally had it sent off to BamaPen's to work his magic.

#16362 An exciting pen crossed my bench today.

Posted by brando090 on 27 July 2012 - 06:26 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Wow, what a mechanism! Are you still taking repairs? Ive got a few piston fillers than a restorer doesn't want to repair for some reason, though he does fix piston fillers.

#17182 Parker True Blue

Posted by brando090 on 26 August 2012 - 06:13 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Wow! That actually looks close to NOS since the endcap looks like fresh ebonite (or plastic) and the color is as good as it gets. I think this is more of a preservation pen, more so than a work horse pen. I wouldn't write with it, as you'll be using it in light and the color will go darker.

#18090 Waterman 454 Night and Day. Photo...

Posted by brando090 on 20 September 2012 - 01:19 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Sell the set to me David.

I'll get those babies polished up in no time. :rolleyes:

Posted Image Posted Image, i hope not. Great set David, you've got some really nice Waterman's.

#17880 Hi Everyone

Posted by brando090 on 14 September 2012 - 08:10 PM in Say Hello!

Welcome,

Im 16, so it's really a generation gap. Anyway i like your Waterman overlay's, take a look at the "What are your Jewels" and post your respectable collection there.

#18066 Query re value of WWII Peace Treaty P51

Posted by brando090 on 19 September 2012 - 01:23 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

How would one know for sure this pen was the same one used in the signing of anything? How can one prove any such claim?

You cant, unless you have a written testimony from the man who used it, or the contractor used to make the pens, or the guy who inscribed the pen. Other wise picture comparison's are the next best thing.

#16174 Pelikan Silver Pens

Posted by brando090 on 15 July 2012 - 06:01 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Thank you,

I have now learned they were only overlays in silver for Pelikan, none were factory. Do you mind posting your Pelikan collection?

#16153 Pelikan Silver Pens

Posted by brando090 on 14 July 2012 - 08:58 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Did Pelikan make any vintage silver pens? The Pelikan 110 is white gold, not silver...

#17889 Hi Everyone

Posted by brando090 on 15 September 2012 - 09:18 PM in Say Hello!

I’m only 47-- I say “only” because I left another html board for pens & opted for this one because... Maybe-- for the first time-- I’m encountering a generation gap.

Can't let you off the hook - I just turned 59. You'll have to go back to the "young people's" board.

j/k...

It's a small population here, and not so chatty, which is why you haven't been inundated with "Hi!!!" msgs. But it sounds perfect for your needs, so welcome. The guys around here that know their stuff are very open about sharing that knowledge. Enjoy.

Right.

Back to 40 something board I go! Then to folks <40's... "Ah... I remember when I was your age..." <roll eyes>

About chatty though, have to admit I go straight to forum, post my question (or may comment) & bye bye!

Never a word of welcome to others & maybe that's a bit selfish of me, so thanks for encouragement & kind reply.

Hopefully we aren't too serious though. Silly sidebar:

As Newbie, will be form welcome committee & pad post total with insightful replies like "Welcome aboard!"

Hi!!!

lol sorry Jon I couldn't resist.

For chatty foofery you can go 'there' for serious pen information and history people come here. I'm new to the board too and this place keeps blowing my socks off with the depth of knowledge.

Agree with blown socks.

Question though.

Are we allowed to actually mention sites or names? Have feeling people know what 2 sites mentioned, but easier to just type XYZ board or A&B site rather than having to dance around actual names.

Oh & thanks for reply too.

Hi!!! <Insert emoticons here>

Welcome,

Im 16, so it's really a generation gap. Anyway i like your Waterman overlay's, take a look at the "What are your Jewels" and post your respectable collection there.

Generation gap, maturity, or just different interests? Thought provoking. You strike me as someone who might be far more level headed & mature than people I know who are my age!

Anyway, thanks for compliment about pen gallery. Am glad at least one person had a gander that them!

With so many heavy hitters here, get the feeling it's like:

"That's nice you have a couple of overlay pens Bruce. And they are of interest to us because?"

Anyway, all the best!

--Bruce

Ive been told i do act older than i appear, and personally i take it as a complement, but i do reminisce of the past and how easy and a joy it is for little kids. For instance, in Michigan the cider mills are just opening up, and as you get older the reason to go or not is if you really need the "calories" from the donuts. But as a kid, it used to be such a great family trip and you'd get to play around on the hay and see all these animals and sit down for some cider and doughnuts. But, those days are gone, and i guess ill only get them back when i have my own kids.

Dont worry about the heavy hitters to much, stick around and before you'll know it people will be saying the same thing about you! Ive only been around for ~3 years, and im still continuing to learn.

#18111 Band on a 51

Posted by brando090 on 21 September 2012 - 01:42 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

This is quite unique, is it gold filled like the cap? Maybe that gives a bit of relevance, hence 14k GF cap and GF band?

#16018 The Skinny on Skinning:

Posted by brando090 on 09 July 2012 - 01:02 AM in Greetings + Latest News

What happen to these?

#24714 Waterman 94 Moss Agate Stages-of-Manufacture set

Posted by brando090 on 06 May 2013 - 01:25 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

What a fine array of dummy pens! Thanks for sharing these.

Agreed, very cool indeed. Great display items.

Getting over the cool, there is a lot to be learned from such pieces regarding the manufacturing process. I believe David N has the mounted version and perhaps the text that goes with it.

Is there anything you can garner about pen manufacture from the picture?

T

Is this a question for me?

If so, i take from this image the respect that these craftsman had for their skills back in the 30s-40s. I've owned dummy pens, no Watermans, but they give a great insite to potential customers about the pens if they were buying. Also its quite a process to make these, given the steps in which these sets show.

#17893 Greetings from Portland, OR

Posted by brando090 on 16 September 2012 - 01:43 AM in Say Hello!

Welcome John,

Seeing you like European and Japanese after 1970, maybe look into Pilot and other Japanese pre 1950. That's something that im confident you'd like Posted Image

#18238 Sunday finds.... figured we would share a day's haul

Posted by brando090 on 25 September 2012 - 11:18 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Nice lot Rick, that Olive ripple desk pen sure is nice Posted Image

No it's not, it's a POS, bent nib and missing the lever box.

Sorry to hear about the repair needed.

#23345 A quick stop while driving today...

Posted by brando090 on 04 April 2013 - 09:48 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Wow. Nice haul! I just went into an antique stores for the first time, found 5 no name cheap pens, and one green J Esterbrook (if that's the right model, don't own an Estie) for $15 lowered to $10 that I passed on. Wish I could find some boxes Parkers or something.

#24292 Happy, Happy Vasco!!!

Posted by brando090 on 30 April 2013 - 06:14 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Congrats on the MB.

Its the one MB I actually want to own :) I can't tell, but is it silver or GF? I love the nibs on MB's and the piston makes it much more enjoyable.

#17302 Killer Trio of 1930's Sheaffer Balances. Recent Finds.

Posted by brando090 on 30 August 2012 - 05:10 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Along with the nice cap bands, your black pens appear inverted. (let's let the young one ponder this for a moment before spilling the beans)

Posted Image You are the best, i know you've been told, just wanted to reassure you. I have no clue on the black one, on the left, unless your talking the bottom black one, which would be what i believe to possibly be an early Sheaffer, since it would be a white dot, but it's a tad too early.

#15833 What Waterman #7?

Posted by brando090 on 02 July 2012 - 05:15 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Im wondering what Waterman number 7 i have. There i no color on the nib, and it says 52 on the bottom. The band books redish/blackish/pinkish. Slight hue of red/pink on the white bands.

https://picasaweb.go...618697836898306

Hi Brandon,

Think it is a bit of a mix.

The Waterman #7 is size of a waterman 55. One must watch for barrel swaps.

Perhaps less well known than the Ripple #7 is its little brother, the Ripple #5 which is the size of... a Waterman 52.

A Ripple #5 should have a keyhole #5 nib iirc (which is same size as earlier #2 nib, just as the #7 nib in a Ripple number seven is same size as earlier 55's #5 nib)

I think you have a 52 barrel with a #5 cap.

regards

david

Got da...

I made a best offer of $80, how did i do? This sucks!

#15831 What Waterman #7?

Posted by brando090 on 02 July 2012 - 05:04 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Im wondering what Waterman number 7 i have. There i no color on the nib, and it says 52 on the bottom. The band books redish/blackish/pinkish. Slight hue of red/pink on the white bands.

https://picasaweb.go...618697836898306

#15784 Happy 2nd Birthday, FPB!

Posted by brando090 on 30 June 2012 - 07:49 PM in Greetings + Latest News

Congrats David,

So far so good. How many users do you know have?

#15835 What Waterman #7?

Posted by brando090 on 02 July 2012 - 05:38 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

So pretty much i need a new barrel... What color do you think the cap is?

#15838 What Waterman #7?

Posted by brando090 on 02 July 2012 - 07:37 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Thanks, ill just sell it. I already have a Canadian Ripple 52, so no need for this. David N., i was also amazed someone got all the way down to the ripple.

#17677 The First Pen I Ever Collected (But Not Used)

Posted by brando090 on 09 September 2012 - 03:46 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Very nice pen, take care of it Posted Image

#15551 Waterman "Oriental" Overlay. Happy David.

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 11:35 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

I'm not particularly a fan of gold plated pens, but that really is a stunner. The patina is exquisite!

Tim

Are you sure Tim?

https://picasaweb.go...gCI7Y_4X-x6z0IQ

#17844 My LA Pen Show Haul

Posted by brando090 on 14 September 2012 - 01:44 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Cool, unique pens. Congrats!