cedargirl's Content

There have been 31 items by cedargirl (Search limited from 03-May 23)

Sort by                Order  

#29098 A new Daily Writer

Posted by cedargirl on 11 October 2013 - 03:49 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Nice looking pen.

#27293 Why should I want waterproof ink?

Posted by cedargirl on 27 July 2013 - 10:55 AM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

I don't need all my ink to be waterproof. I do like to address envelopes and sign cheques with waterproof ink, so I do make sure I always have at least one bottle available.
It is a need for those people who use it in pen and wash sketching.

I am as baffled as you with the "unfortunately it's not waterproof so it won't make it into my collection" line that I read quite often.

#27065 They're at it again over at the FPN..

Posted by cedargirl on 14 July 2013 - 11:55 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I think I have reached a happy medium with FPN. I do visit - there is a lot of good info there.
I do post occasionally, but mostly view.
But here is where I draw the line - I do not visit their classifieds any more. I will not buy from FPN. So if they want to sell to me (hey, of course they do!), they better list elsewhere.

#26393 Mabie Todd Numbers

Posted by cedargirl on 18 June 2013 - 08:21 AM in BRITISH PENS

I have a pdf file called "SwanChart" that I think I downloaded from FPN - not sure. As I can't identify the author, I can't post it.
But in relation to the postwar 4 digit numbering of Swans, here is what it says about the first digit -

Filler:
3 = Lever
4 = Leverless
(5 = Blackbird?)

#26171 pictures of vintage Montblanc pens

Posted by cedargirl on 11 June 2013 - 10:56 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Wow - wow - and wow! ... Pen heaven.

#25929 Take the Quiz

Posted by cedargirl on 04 June 2013 - 07:24 AM in What's New in Your Life

Another: Is "route 1" pronounced "root 1", like the root of a tree, or "rout 1", as in "Washington routed Denver in Super Bowl 22".

Wow. That's interesting. I thought all Americans said "rout" not "root". Seems some of you speak English after all ... [runs for cover!]

#25630 IMPERIAL I

Posted by cedargirl on 24 May 2013 - 12:14 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Thanks Hugh that makes sense. I'll give it a try.
John

Let us know how you get on.

#25596 Ebay Watch: Sheaffer 1940's Black Tuckaway Set

Posted by cedargirl on 23 May 2013 - 05:10 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

If he says no reasonable offers are refused, then he should take any offer of 30 bucks or more.

Ah but that's the charm of bullshit ad verbiage.

"Reasonable" to whom? Defined how? ;)

regards

david

By the seller - always their prerogative. I just hope he's not too surprised when they don't sell.

I saw a few boxes of dip pen nibs and a handful of junky holders listed for $500 the other day.
By that standard, surely these pens are worth double!

#25234 Really?

Posted by cedargirl on 16 May 2013 - 07:21 AM in Say Hello!

Hi Manny

I'm glad The Amalgamated Beungaling Society has made it to this board too.

#25233 Carter's ribbed oval....quart

Posted by cedargirl on 16 May 2013 - 07:00 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Does it have ink? Are you going to post a writing sample? I'd love to see the colour.

#25232 Pelikan Ephemera

Posted by cedargirl on 16 May 2013 - 06:59 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

I love the way they have printed the box and the case over the page border. I didn't think you saw much of that back then.

#25047 a cool two-tone feed

Posted by cedargirl on 13 May 2013 - 07:26 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Wow. Very neat.
Can you tell us anything about it?

#24978 Hello from Germany

Posted by cedargirl on 11 May 2013 - 05:29 AM in Say Hello!

Hi Mark. Welcome. I agree that aerometrics are a nuisance to clean.

#24977 Apa Khabar from Malaysia!

Posted by cedargirl on 11 May 2013 - 05:26 AM in Say Hello!

Hi Noor. Glad you found us here.

#24810 51 vacumatic UK

Posted by cedargirl on 07 May 2013 - 04:33 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

WES might still be a good idea, I believe they are about to launch a webcast class for its overseas members. Drop Ian Williamson at Cathedral Pens an email, he can provide full details.

Yep the Summit site is my effort (when I have time to keep it up to date). The S.175 is a good quality pen (but the black ones are rather conservative)

Paul

And what's wrong with black?? (mock indignation!) I'm rather found of it - it's my only chased BHR pen. I quite like the quiet elegance of a decent black pen and this one has a nice flexy nib. Not that I can write with flex, but I like the springiness of a soft nib when writing.

Re WES - Brilliant. I'll certainly contact Ian. Thank you.

Thanks for the Summit website. I am truly grateful to anyone who takes the time to maintain such a useful resource.

#24758 51 vacumatic UK

Posted by cedargirl on 06 May 2013 - 12:00 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Glad to hear that you're finding the blog helpful, Claire. The Marshall & Oldfield book is excellent and covers most situations.

A chance to thank you in person!
Yes, it's a great resource on pen fixing and vintage UK pens. Lots of very useful info.
I like your no nonsense no hype approach. Thanks for all your efforts in making this information available.

#24751 51 vacumatic UK

Posted by cedargirl on 06 May 2013 - 08:02 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

A English Parker 51, I assume you are UK based.

If you are contemplating repairs / restoration like this then you would do well to join WES (Writing Equipment Society). In addition to good newsletters, and valuable contacts, they run a three day repair course that is both cheap and comprehensive.

Hi Paul. I would love to do a three day course, but alas, I'm not UK based and it would be a long trip for me. I'm an Aussie. Lots of UK pens here!

I only started buying pens to restore very recently - I have Marshall & Oldfield and Dubiel's book. I'm scouring the web for the good stuff too. I've bought a few tools and I'm starting easy with some lever-fills that only require a sac replacement - mostly UK brands - CS, Mentmore, Onoto. I'm finding Deb's Goodwriter's blog useful.
I had put aside my single P51 and a Snorkel for later.

BTW - I have a nice hard rubber Summit (175) in need of some love! I'm assuming it was your web site I used to identify it as a Mk I. Am I right? It is a great site. Now I'm keeping my eye open for more Summits. It wasn't a brand I was aware of until I picked this one up in a mixed lot.

Claire

#24748 51 vacumatic UK

Posted by cedargirl on 06 May 2013 - 06:43 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Here is a Richard Binder Pen Doctor article with more detailed info:

http://www.richardspens.com/?pendoc=18

He suggests taking the nib out of the collector before removing the collector from the barrel.

He also has good information about reassembly. Often 51s have been taken apart in the past and the components have not been properly aligned on reassembly. One thing to watch out for is not to lose the tiny hard rubber plug in the hidden end of the collector. It often comes out during ultrasonic cleaning and can easily be dumped down the drain.

That's great - thank you.

#24710 51 vacumatic UK

Posted by cedargirl on 06 May 2013 - 12:31 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Once you have the hood off, you are done with the hard part.

All you need to do then is soak the nib and collector in water for a day or so (just to be safe). Then pull the collector assembly out of the barrel with a slight twist. Heat is usually unnecessary. The collector is supposed to have a slit in it, so what you think is a split may just be the slit to provide ink to the nib. The nib and feed can then be pulled out of the collector. Pull straight out without twisting.

Thank you!
Soaking starting now.

#24695 51 vacumatic UK

Posted by cedargirl on 05 May 2013 - 10:15 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Here is a photo of a spare 51 nib I have sitting on my desk. It shows the location of the date (in this case 1953).

EDIT - having now removed the nib from the grey 1949? vacumatic previously mentioned, it did not have any date on it... so perhaps the early 51 nib, like the later ones, had no date mark?

Thanks for that. It clearly shows that any markings are on the part of the nib buried in the collector. I haven't attempted any restoration on this pen yet, so all I have done is remove the hood.
I'm not sure how to proceed from there. How do you remove the nib? Is it just a friction fit. Will a bit of dry heat do it? Or am I better off soaking it? I'm not sure what the collector is made of and how it will react to heat.
I'll need to be careful because my pen has a small split in the collector where someone has been a bit too heavy handed already, presumably in an attempt to remove the nib.

Claire

#24643 51 vacumatic UK

Posted by cedargirl on 04 May 2013 - 10:19 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I believe the English 51 Vacumatic was produced from 1947 thru to 1949. The produced a Brown one that turns up from time to time, but there was no production model in Burgundy, so yours is probably the former. I think the nib will usually have a date on it, down near the foot.

The pens do often have a date code at the bottom of the barrel stamp, although that said I have today received a English grey 51 Vacuamtic that simply has "made in England" on the barrel. This grey example is in the Navy Grey usually associated with the aerometric, rather than the dove grey seen in the US vacs. (which makes me think it is 1949

Thanks Paul. Yes, I have come to the conclusion that my pen is cordovan brown. I've taken the grip section off and there is no date making visible on the nib. Unless of course it's on the portion inserted into the feed.

Your pen sounds very nice.

Claire

#24399 Mini collection - COMPLETE!

Posted by cedargirl on 01 May 2013 - 06:56 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Nice mini collection, Josephine.

May a 644 and a 744 come your way soon!

#24398 Hi from Australia

Posted by cedargirl on 01 May 2013 - 06:48 AM in Say Hello!

Hi Bogon007

I'm glad you found your way here.
Lots of terrific vintage knowledge here!

I see you have promoted yourself with an extra 0 Posted Image

#24183 What's with this?

Posted by cedargirl on 28 April 2013 - 10:26 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Thank you very much David. "End of day" says it all.

#24180 What's with this?

Posted by cedargirl on 28 April 2013 - 10:10 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

I just came across this vintage pen - unknown maker.

Posted Image

Have a look at the colouring. Looks like it's made of bits of leftovers.

I guess this might be very familiar to some here, and it's just me that thinks it unusual.

Can anyone shed any light on it?

The listing is here - with more photos - My link