• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Link or not?

Looks good from here.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Awesome! Thanks!

#4 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

My guess would be that it's a yellowstone, but it's pretty hard to tell the difference on a computer monitor. In any case, an incredible buy for that price. I guess the single jewel buckskin is rarer, but either one is very scarce. If you were the buyer - Congrats!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#5 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

The seller is now backing out of the transaction. Thanks!

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

The seller is now backing out of the transaction. Thanks!

??????

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

I shouldn't have posted until I had received the pen. Because really how many people comb through the ended listing on a daily basis.

Someone contacted the seller after the fact. I don't know what was said, other than the pen is not cocoa . The seller refunded my money and attempted to cancel the transaction, which I denied. My 'thanks' was anger as sarcasm and not really directed towards anyone other than the backbiter/s.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I shouldn't have posted until I had received the pen. Because really how many people comb through the ended listing on a daily basis.

Someone contacted the seller after the fact. I don't know what was said, other than the pen is not cocoa . The seller refunded my money and attempted to cancel the transaction, which I denied. My 'thanks' was anger as sarcasm and not really directed towards anyone other than the backbiter/s.

Ah, now I at least understand the post ;)

Geez, there are so many levels of educational material to how this is evolving, that we should have it in the "Elements of Collecting Forum".

In the context of a recent thread on backchannel dealings, which was rather gentler than many such threads throughout the history of the internet, we now move into a thread on back-back-channel dealings. More in next post.

Thread ON BACK CHANNEL WAHL, ETC

Posted Image

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Continuing from above, there can be little doubt that, besides the ethical yea/nay of back channeling, there is need for back channelers to do such things with discretion, as other back channelers have no qualm interfering initial back channelers' attempted back channels.

I say this a bit flippantly but not (i hope) snarkily. Upshot is... announcing items before taking possession carries risks. Too, back channel offers that have some connection to actual item value tend to go south less often.

Not sure any of this helps.

As an aside (yeah, let's open cans o' worms), while most folks will be happy to comment on an active ebay auction when folks on Boards have questions, there are risks to bringing to the attention of the crowd unsold pens of interest.

regards

d

Posted Image

#10 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

Idiot sellers are common. They normally don't have the exceptional pieces, which is my lament about this situation.

#11 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

Doesn't the ebay "contract" bind a seller who sells an item to a buyer? In other words, if the pen truly was set up as a $75 BIN with no previous offers, then you and the seller have a completed contract bound by ebay.

I guess this begs the question, how serious is the ebay "contract"?

Regards,
George

#12 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Doesn't the ebay "contract" bind a seller who sells an item to a buyer? In other words, if the pen truly was set up as a $75 BIN with no previous offers, then you and the seller have a completed contract bound by ebay.

Regards,
George

You would think that's that case, but unfortunately ebay does not always follow through on things.
Two years ago I bought a sheaffer set for $250, without making an offer. It was set up as a buy it now.
I then posted the link on the pen network because I was really excited about it. The next day, the buyer had cancelled the deal.

Regards,
Gabriel

#13 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

They can refund your money. You can refuse to cancel the transaction when they ask. I don't know how to force them to follow through; if anyone does, kindly speak up.

#14 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

Contact ebay right away, as long as you don't accept the "cancel transaction" then you should be able to still get the pen.

I wouldn't think ebay would want to be seen not following their own policies.

#15 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

I paid again. You can't file a claim after they've refunded your money. We will see how this plays out.

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

With the caveat that I have not of late read the ebay contract... I would nonetheless advise... significant... caution about pursuing aggressively with ebay for conclusion of a sale generated under such circumstances. Ebay has long looked askance at those who attempt to arrange outside ebay dealings. This sale was not outside ebay, but if the seller presents ebay with a story and with context, about backchannel enticement and with follow up info as to value of item, I could well imagine ebay taking unilateral action against the buyer not the seller. I could be wrong.

regards

david

Posted Image

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Regards,
George

Note that that is not the meaning of "begs the question" ;)

David (Grammar Police) I

Posted Image

#18 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

David,

Why go to school when I can get knowledge for free here ;)

Regards,
George

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

David,

Regards,
George

Ouch,

Well.. the info you get here is worth every penny you are paying for it Posted Image

Here are some question begging links

http://begthequestion.info/

http://en.wikipedia....ng_the_question

http://www.nizkor.or...e-question.html

In my view, it might be nicer if "begging the question" by convention in fact meant something that really does inspire us to ask a targeted question, but history uses it in another way. Whether the language should evolve I'll leave to more clever linguists...

Posted Image

#20 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:34 AM

David,

Regards,
George

Ouch,

Well.. the info you get here is worth every penny you are paying for it Posted Image

Here are some question begging links

http://begthequestion.info/

http://en.wikipedia....ng_the_question

http://www.nizkor.or...e-question.html

In my view, it might be nicer if "begging the question" by convention in fact meant something that really does inspire us to ask a targeted question, but history uses it in another way. Whether the language should evolve I'll leave to more clever linguists...

I hope you're ok, I never intended to hurt you :P

Looks like I am a BTQ abuser - I never knew the proper usage until now.

Regards,
George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users