3 replies to this topic

#1 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:28 AM

I've been very fortunate to find and to acquire from eBay (at near-sumgai prices, I must say) two gorgeous woodgrain Bexleys: one, a Bexley De Luxe in rosewood, and the other, a Bexley Giant.

_57_zpsdqmoffad.jpg

_57-1_zpsk0ixv4nc.jpg

I'm a big fan of woodgrain pens, so these two are prize acquisitions for me, although I might be selling one or the other (there's already a long line of dibs from my pen friends) to fund other purchases.

I think I know enough about the history of the Giant, but the other pen (sold as a "De Luxe") puzzles me a bit, as I've never been able to locate in anywhere in the usual Bexley references online. It looks like a De Luxe and has a 10K clip, but has no wide band. The color is also not listed for the De Luxe. Could this possibly be a prototype, or a later reissue? Any information from Bexley experts would be appreciated.

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

When my friend, the late Jeff Ash, introduced me to collecting old pens in 1998, one of his foci was on the then relatively new Bexley label, which of course is tied to long time collector Howard Levy. I remember looking through his pen papers during our first chats about collecting and seeing the brochure for Bexleys from that time.  The Giant always appealed. I have not yet managed to grab one. Well done :)

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:39 AM

thanks, david. i was surprised that only two of us bid on that giant. i think it was a case of everyone expecting to be roundly outbid anyway at the last second, so nobody pulled the trigger ;) i'm glad i did.

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#4 Kenmc

Kenmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:24 PM

Beautiful pens! Congrats!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: woodgrain, bexley, ebay, giant, de luxe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users