214 replies to this topic

#41 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:45 AM

This thread has taken a strange turn.  Reaper has eliminated all his pictures before I could see them.  Which makes it sort of hard to follow.  Then he promises he will be back to someone named Kevin, who doesn't seem to have posted, as far as I can tell. Hmmm ....  I am a bit confused.

Well, regardless of this, I thought I would throw in my thoughts on creating fake double jewel 51s. I think I might go in the opposite direction. That is, put unjeweled blind caps on certain DJ pens - namely Buckskin Brown, Yellowstone, and Nassau Green.  Of course those are harder colors to duplicate, and the original pens are a bigger investment, but single jewel pens in these colors bring big bucks because they are so rare. I guess getting plastic in these colors would be difficult, but I actually have a SG Vac 51 in Navy Grey (itself sort of rare) that is almost the same color as one of my DJ Nassau Green pens.  I guess it is pretty unlikely, but an amusing thought.

Looking over my 51s, I was actually surprised to find that I had NO black 51s of any kind.  A strange omission from my collection.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#42 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

I'm sitting here looking over a reasonable pile of 51s.  I've been known to purchase a few 51s on eBay and a few more at pen shows/club meetings and even a few from the internet boards.  I compete friendly with some and collude on buying with a few others.

I find nothing reasonable about the purchase price of the pen in question and even less resaon in the BIN price the second time around.

And yes the blind cap, tassie, and jewel appear to be reproductions.  I agree the barrel was also likely a single jewel barrel.  I see no evidence that the hardware on any of the pens in question have 14K trim.  The caps are common and not particularly well photographed.  No clue what pens Reaper and Kevin are talking about.

But I'm with David, I'm am but a wee dabbler in 51s.

Farmboy

#43 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:18 AM

I'm sitting here looking over a reasonable pile of 51s.  I've been known to purchase a few 51s on eBay and a few more at pen shows/club meetings and even a few from the internet boards.  I compete friendly with some and collude on buying with a few others.

I find nothing reasonable about the purchase price of the pen in question and even less resaon in the BIN price the second time around.

And yes the blind cap, tassie, and jewel appear to be reproductions.  I agree the barrel was also likely a single jewel barrel.  I see no evidence that the hardware on any of the pens in question have 14K trim.  The caps are common and not particularly well photographed.  No clue what pens Reaper and Kevin are talking about.

But I'm with David, I'm am but a wee dabbler in 51s.

Farmboy

OK, here we go again.  Who the hell is Kevin?  Seems like I remember Brian McQueen using another name on some other site.  Is Brian actually Kevin?  I use "Procyon"  on several sites, not just pen sites, but, at least here, I put my real name in my signature ( at least the first part).  I doubt if anyone actually thinks my name is Procyon. And I have often put in my last name in some posts here.  "Procyon"  is obviously an alias. Most handles like this are obviously fake.  It sort of bugs me that someone would use a seemingly normal name which is completely fake.

Edited by Procyon, 18 April 2015 - 04:59 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#44 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

"Kevin" Would appear to be a mistake on the part of reaper, perhaps referencing somebody different conversation a different place.

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#45 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

Allan (Procyon) and all other interested parties: There is no Kevin. Or at least, I am not him.  I used to go by "RobertNFrappuls" here and elsewhere.  My real name is actually Brian McQueen.

Farmboy, in case you misunderstood me, I agree that these pens were sold way out of line.  Black 51 sets with common caps in not perfect condition = sub $150 sets.

Reaper, a little clarification since you asked for some.

So changing the clips around is not considered alterations from the original? So I assume all this discussion is just showing what you all know about Parkers and what is acceptable to you all is okay... Again I agree to disagree with you! If the clips were changed in the era they were made then that would be acceptable to me..

What David is talking about doing, when he mentions swapping clips, is swapping one part for another original, Parker made, period correct part.

What the eBay seller was selling were pens which had parts swapped out for non-original, reproduction parts.

There is a marked difference between the two.  The first method creates a pen that could have originally come from the factory in that configuration.  The second method creates an entirely new thing which could NOT have come from the factory.

So to the original forum subject just tell what it is because the value is in the eye of the beholder!

True, the value of an object is solely in the eye of the beholder.  Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  I think we can all agree, though, that for two black Parker 51s with the same cap and in the same condition, the double jeweled pen is more valuable than a single jeweled pen.  When someone swaps on a reproduction piece and then tries to pass it off as an original piece, that seller is deceiving the buyer.  I have a problem with that.  My original point was to warn buyers of the potential for reproduction parts getting swapped in and passed off as originals.

Let's do a little math scenario (I will use prices from the SOLD pens page at parker51.com, so these are real prices paid for real, original pens)

---BEGINNING OF SCENARIO---

Ernesto sold a Single Jewel black Vacumatic 51 set with GF caps for $180.

He also sold an ORIGINAL Double Jewel black Vacumatic 51 set with the same caps for $375.

Ariel Kullock's site doesn't exist anymore, but he used to sell a black reproduction blind cap with tassie and jewel for under $50 shipped to the US.  These are the pieces that were on tatsy123's pens.

Let's say I purchased Ernesto's SJ set from him for $180.  I want to sell it for $375, but nobody is going to give me that much for it.  So I buy a $50 DJ blind cap from Ariel and put it on my pen.  I now have $230 invested in the pen.  I tell people it is "100% Original" when I put it up for sale.  Someone believes me and pays me $375 for my set.  I've now committed fraud.  This is not OK.

Let's say instead that I buy Ernesto's SJ pen for $180, Kullock's blind cap for $50, and put it up for sale for $375.  This time, though, I let the buyers know that the blind cap is a reproduction piece.  Someone then decides that it is worth $375 to them, and buys it.  This is OK.

---END OF SCENARIO---

I had sent Tatsy123 a question about THIS PEN while the auction was still active. Note that the auction makes no claims about originality, but it also makes no mention of reproduction parts (save for the brass filling unit)

Fake DJ Pen
I asked him if it was a reproduction tassie.  His response was (direct quote) "Hi, its the original blind cap & jewel . I had the tassie replaced but it's from Parker dunfold."

It can be very clearly seen, however, that the jewel at least is NOT original.  I can't say definitively that the blind cap is not original.  The tassie appears to be a Kullock tassie, not a Duofold tassie.

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 18 April 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#46 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:52 AM

The potential markup cited by Brian is even more exaggerated factoring in the wholesale market, which the seller in play might or might not be able to acess. Taking Brian's numbers, let's say a clean, restored, retailed, with year-warranty, single jewel set without dings is priced at $180 and a DJ set with similar common cap is $375, a two-fold price. And let's say the fake Ariel blindcap/tassie is $50. Fine. So far as that goes.

But for those who buy aggressively at shows and such, who take the good with the bad, who might buy 50 Parker 51's at once, and who might get some in ready-to-roll shape at that price but others which need $80-90 (retail) in additional work (steel cap pen needing restoration, dedinging of cap and refrosting of cap by one of the very few restorers who can refrost to truly original look), it is not uncommon to be able to buy single jewel 51s for $50 or lower price.  But, double jewel pens rarely are found even "wholesale-ish" at pn shows for < $175-200. So, buy a $50 Parker 51, put a $50 Kullock blind cap on it, put it on ebay where DJ pens tend to pull $300+...

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#47 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

geez who would by fifty 51s at a time...

#48 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

geez who would by fifty 51s at a time...

I wonder... ;)

-d

Posted Image

#49 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

Well David I apologize for having to run off yesterday... And the "Kevin" you all mocking me about was a typo I was meeting Kevin & trying to multitask which in turn cause me to make a mistake.. So again sorry if It confused anyone...

#50 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:45 PM

I don't mock.

regards

-d

Posted Image

#51 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

Brian,

I love the last two lines of the guy's description on his auction:

SERIOUS BIDDERS ONLY Please ask questions before bit

ALL SALES FINAL

For me when I see someone that seems to sell pens that are restored and has no return policy combined with pictures that are hazy the red flag goes up.

As for these 51's yes the tassie is a knock off to most of us that know a little wee bit about 51's. For those who know me I am anything but a 51 collector but I do buy one now and again.

#52 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

Brian,

I love the last two lines of the guy's description on his auction:

SERIOUS BIDDERS ONLY Please ask questions before bit
ALL SALES FINAL

For me when I see someone that seems to sell pens that are restored and has no return policy combined with pictures that are hazy the red flag goes up.

As for these 51's yes the tassie is a knock off to most of us that know a little wee bit about 51's. For those who know me I am anything but a 51 collector but I do buy one now and again.

I recall seeing a few 51s on your table in LA. You can have a 51 merit badge.

Farmboy

#53 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Allan (Procyon) and all other interested parties: There is no Kevin. Or at least, I am not him.  I used to go by "RobertNFrappuls" here and elsewhere.  My real name is actually Brian McQueen.

Farmboy, in case you misunderstood me, I agree that these pens were sold way out of line.  Black 51 sets with common caps in not perfect condition = sub $150 sets.

So changing the clips around is not considered alterations from the original? So I assume all this discussion is just showing what you all know about Parkers and what is acceptable to you all is okay... Again I agree to disagree with you! If the clips were changed in the era they were made then that would be acceptable to me..

What David is talking about doing, when he mentions swapping clips, is swapping one part for another original, Parker made, period correct part.

What the eBay seller was selling were pens which had parts swapped out for non-original, reproduction parts.

There is a marked difference between the two.  The first method creates a pen that could have originally come from the factory in that configuration.  The second method creates an entirely new thing which could NOT have come from the factory.

So to the original forum subject just tell what it is because the value is in the eye of the beholder!

True, the value of an object is solely in the eye of the beholder.  Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  I think we can all agree, though, that for two black Parker 51s with the same cap and in the same condition, the double jeweled pen is more valuable than a single jeweled pen.  When someone swaps on a reproduction piece and then tries to pass it off as an original piece, that seller is deceiving the buyer.  I have a problem with that.  My original point was to warn buyers of the potential for reproduction parts getting swapped in and passed off as originals.

Let's do a little math scenario (I will use prices from the SOLD pens page at parker51.com, so these are real prices paid for real, original pens)

He also sold an ORIGINAL Double Jewel black Vacumatic 51 set with the same caps for $375.

Ariel Kullock's site doesn't exist anymore, but he used to sell a black reproduction blind cap with tassie and jewel for under $50 shipped to the US.  These are the pieces that were on tatsy123's pens.

Let's say I purchased Ernesto's SJ set from him for $180.  I want to sell it for $375, but nobody is going to give me that much for it.  So I buy a $50 DJ blind cap from Ariel and put it on my pen.  I now have $230 invested in the pen.  I tell people it is "100% Original" when I put it up for sale.  Someone believes me and pays me $375 for my set.  I've now committed fraud.  This is not OK.

Let's say instead that I buy Ernesto's SJ pen for $180, Kullock's blind cap for $50, and put it up for sale for $375.  This time, though, I let the buyers know that the blind cap is a reproduction piece.  Someone then decides that it is worth $375 to them, and buys it.  This is OK.

---END OF SCENARIO---

I had sent Tatsy123 a question about THIS PEN while the auction was still active. Note that the auction makes no claims about originality, but it also makes no mention of reproduction parts (save for the brass filling unit)

I asked him if it was a reproduction tassie.  His response was (direct quote) "Hi, its the original blind cap & jewel . I had the tassie replaced but it's from Parker dunfold."

It can be very clearly seen, however, that the jewel at least is NOT original.  I can't say definitively that the blind cap is not original.  The tassie appears to be a Kullock tassie, not a Duofold tassie.

Brian.. What I see is all reproduction.. from the filler unit to the blind cap.. but thats my opinion, regardless of what the seller told you.. it is obviously not authentic.. And you being in the know perhaps you should of educated the seller? before passing judgment.. as you had for the 1st set that was re listed for a $650 BIN..  why didn't you educate the 1st seller?

#54 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Reaper, the filler unit was mentioned in the listing. By the time I had seen his response, the listing was over. I figured it was too late to inform him at that point. I informed the second seller so that he could know about the rotten deal he got.

#55 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

---END OF SCENARIO---

Brian.. What I see is all reproduction.. from the filler unit to the blind cap.. but thats my opinion, regardless of what the seller told you.. it is obviously not authentic.. And you being in the know perhaps you should of educated the seller? before passing judgment.. as you had for the 1st set that was re listed for a $650 BIN..  why didn't you educate the 1st seller?

Do you know the seller?  I see less passing of judgement than of observation of poor advertising.  The seller has a primary obligation not to commit fraud.

regards

david

Posted Image

#56 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

No David I do not know the seller.. but I see several questionable sales on ebay.. i agree that the sale was misrepresented but without knowing the sellers knowledge of what they are selling, and for myself seeing the re list seller who re listed them $650 bin and had a lot of fountain pens and actually is a long time ebay seller..  In my opinion if Brian had an opportunity to educated and he choose not to say anything until the re-list.. if that set would of sold for $650 BIN i would be completely amazed and would list every Parker 51 I have on a BIN this minute... but thats just my observation.. 

#57 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:05 PM

The seller seems unduly emphatic given the tassies were not harvested from an actual pen. .

regards

david

Posted Image

#58 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

Also David.. eBay is not only about the description.. it involves pictures.. and questions.. and auction people bid on.. what about the seller who's pictures do not show the item you receive.. Ebay includes feedback and all sorts of protections.. warning to buyers, and sellers.. I enjoy collecting Parker 51's... Actually I contacted that seller and offered to purchase the famous fake DJ...

#59 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:35 PM

Anyway That is my thoughts on it..  

Ebay is full of misleading descriptions

SOLID GOLD 14K Clip Parker 51 vacumatic double jewel set window pan Füllhalter

Edited by Reaper, 19 April 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#60 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:19 AM

Also David.. eBay is not only about the description.. it involves pictures.. and questions.. and auction people bid on.. what about the seller who's pictures do not show the item you receive.. Ebay includes feedback and all sorts of protections.. warning to buyers, and sellers.. I enjoy collecting Parker 51's... Actually I contacted that seller and offered to purchase the famous fake DJ...

Tangential.

regards

-d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users