brando090's Content

There have been 715 items by brando090 (Search limited from 25-June 23)

Sort by                Order  

#17737 Hello from Hong Kong

Posted by brando090 on 11 September 2012 - 08:29 PM in Say Hello!

Welcome, and enjoy the great experience using a fountain pen.

#17851 Conid

Posted by brando090 on 14 September 2012 - 02:38 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Cool process, makes me want to make a pen now Posted Image

#16219 What Vac?

Posted by brando090 on 17 July 2012 - 04:03 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Thank you.

#20155 2 first year 51's in not so many as three weeks...

Posted by brando090 on 05 November 2012 - 11:59 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Now all you need are all the pre-production colors.

Regards,
George

I was confused until i looked into it;

http://www.parker51.com/gpage8.html

Man that raspberry P51 with that gold filled band on the barrel looks great. Reminds me of early Waterman's with bands on the barrel Posted Image

#17253 Kraker Pens...

Posted by brando090 on 28 August 2012 - 08:46 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Wow,

What a collection, and they are in beautiful condition. I love the top two sets of pens, and the molted pen is stunning! Whats the history of the Kraker company?

#17104 Pretty nice OS Sheaffer

Posted by brando090 on 23 August 2012 - 03:20 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Stopped at an antique shop that I forget to go to often enough. Passed on a $65 black and yellow enameled metal Eversharp box containing a green Doric P&P set and a red Doric P&P set - all 4 pieces were fluorescing, the box was very neat, but the pens were sad - and a $255 plain black Waterman's with a loose cap band and a 100 Yr nib. I don't make an effort to collect Balances, but couldn't resist this:

Posted Image

Also bought a Waterman's mailing tube containing a service envelope and a 1948 invoice for 35 cents service fee on an "875 Jet", posted with a 1-1/2 cent Martha Washington - I should probably pass that on to a Waterman's fan.

Hi Matt,

Not sure how much you are into Balances, but I will be happy to add that greeny to my own collection if you are in inclined to part with it. Seriously :)

regards

david

Posted Image, very nice Jade pen. I hope you add 'it' to your growing mint Jade collection.

#19392 Waterman Safety

Posted by brando090 on 14 October 2012 - 01:44 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Nice pen!

#17935 WTB Waterman Safety: The Art of Overlay in Italy 1900-1940

Posted by brando090 on 16 September 2012 - 04:04 PM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

I just recently heard about the book Waterman Safety: The Art of Overlay in Italy 1900-1940, and id like to purchase a copy.

#18467 Hey everyone

Posted by brando090 on 01 October 2012 - 10:44 PM in Say Hello!

Welcome Tony,

What vintage pens do you have?

#17034 Hi From New York

Posted by brando090 on 20 August 2012 - 05:01 AM in Say Hello!

Hello Norman,

Welcome, and i love your site.

#18473 Hey everyone

Posted by brando090 on 01 October 2012 - 11:51 PM in Say Hello!

Hi Brando, nothing too special. Couple of Esterbrooks, a Sheaffer TouchDown, a couple of Imperials (I think more from the 60s or 70s), and a Parker 45 (from the same time period). I find myself buying more modern pens mainly because I'm afraid of spending too much money on vintage pens that might or might not write. But I'm planning on buying at least a few this year, like an old Pelikan (I like the 100nn), Parker 51, a Waterman 52, Sheaffer Balance, and maybe a few Snorkel pens. I also want to get a Parker Vac and an old Duofold (the ones with the Christmas tree feeds). So I do have a wish list for vintage, lol, I just get nervous about purchasing vintage because I'm not a repair person and not sure how much repairs would be on such old pens.

Dont be too afraid of vintage pens, only vintage pens can you get true flex, and that flex is not something you'll find on modern pens. An average repair is $35, and more complicated repairs can be $50, $75 to $500. But those last few number you can forget about, because i doubt you'll be sending in a repair of something that's broken.

#17102 Pretty nice OS Sheaffer

Posted by brando090 on 23 August 2012 - 01:18 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Beautiful pen, and its a 'phone dialer' if i remember correctly. Referencing the thread below;

http://fountainpenbo...h__1#entry16316

#15961 Swan Blackbird Demonstrator

Posted by brando090 on 07 July 2012 - 06:06 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Here is a great pen i bought, and is at the top at the most expensive pens ive bought. I wanted to expand my MT/Swan collection so i did...

http://penspensandmo...s.blogspot.com/

#16239 Vintage 1950s Montblanc 144

Posted by brando090 on 19 July 2012 - 04:18 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Im going to ventue out and say its a replacement. Couldn't really find much on this, here is something that would of helped you Posted Image

http://www.fountainp...s/page__st__100

#16057 Any info. on vintage UK aluminium pens?

Posted by brando090 on 10 July 2012 - 06:52 PM in BRITISH PENS

While browsing one of the few decent selections of vintage pens in Sydney ( run by Bill Newman who may be known to some here) I came across an aluminium pen, warranted nib , generic straight clip attached with screw in (?) peaked plastic end , lever fill etc. Was marked on the barrel "Home (lite?)" , should have written that bit down...pat. pending and made in England. My first thought was a late 40's pen but Bill places it in the 30's and I guess the general shape ( Summit style? to give a basic idea S175 size, a fairly big pen ) would enforce Bill's view. In general appeared well made and in this case also excellent condition appearing dent free ( which would be rare for an aluminium I would think).

Haven't seen one before , any thoughts?

Regards
Hugh

Hugh,

I can give you some help, courtesy of my friend Steve Hull's book 'The English Fountain Pen Industry 1875 - 1975' - and for anybody interested in English pens, especially the more obscure brands, you must have this book, most of the information it contains is not to be found anywhere else! It is a limited edition of 100 and there aren't that many left.

The pen you are referring to is the Homelink, made by Kagan & Co. of Edgware (probably better known for their pre-war glass nibbed Tip-Toe Stylo). Trust your own instincts, you were absolutely right about the date, the Homelink was first advertised in 1947. As well as the plain aluminium finish you refer to, it was also supposedly available in 'brilliant anodised gold, ruby, green, blue, jet black and many other attractive colours'. I have certainly never seen one (though that doesn't mean anything) but the 1947 advertisement referred to is probably the last appearance of Kagans in the trade press, so I would assume that it wasn't produced for very long and is hence fairly rare, though of course not necessarily valuable. From the way you phrased your query, I guess you didn't snap it up at the time. Shame!

Andy

I actually just got in a Homelink, but sadly its missing the clip and nib. I have another aluminum pen though, with no barrel markings, and ill have to check the nib, but it has a rounded finial, and is very similar is style to the Homelink.

#15982 Swan Blackbird Demonstrator

Posted by brando090 on 08 July 2012 - 01:58 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Had a whole bunch of them back in the '90s, all new old stock. Wish I had hung on to a few of them.

Note that these should actually be called Mabie Todd Blackbird demonstrators: "Blackbird" and "Swan" were two different lines, so a pen that was a Blackbird was not a Swan.

Thank you very much David,

What did you sell them for back than, and what are they worth now (nos NOS and NOS)?

#16527 Hoarding vs Collecting. The fine line...

Posted by brando090 on 05 August 2012 - 01:33 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Hey, at least we're organized when it comes to pens Posted Image

#16652 another NC fp nerd on board.

Posted by brando090 on 10 August 2012 - 04:49 AM in Say Hello!

Welcome!

We all left FPN because on the moderator's attitudes, and their rudeness towards its members. What pens do you favorite?

#16986 Hello from east Tennessee

Posted by brando090 on 18 August 2012 - 10:32 PM in Say Hello!

Welcome,

Make yourself comfortable.

#16695 P51 repro jewels in non-standard colors

Posted by brando090 on 11 August 2012 - 05:50 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Ralph at Prather Pens can make many different types of jewels and bands...

http://www.pratherpe...om/Welcome.html

#15958 PELIKAN 100N

Posted by brando090 on 07 July 2012 - 06:02 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Very nice! Ive been wanting a vintage Pelikan tortoise for a long time, and $50 is a price ill pay, not $400+.

#19267 Early X-Mas

Posted by brando090 on 11 October 2012 - 11:36 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Very nice silver overlays! A sleeve filler ad a 412...?

#17916 Ink filling ball point ?

Posted by brando090 on 16 September 2012 - 04:17 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Sounds like a stylograph. http://www.vintagepe...om/stylos.shtml

I agree. Ive owned a few of these, but i dont know how to write/use them.

#17291 Ebay: Waterman Commando

Posted by brando090 on 30 August 2012 - 04:15 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Hi Gang,

I really think I must be missing something...

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27ca6c5eb9

It's the "well worn and scuffed" box, duhh Posted Image

#15541 Some Pen Guys dont like to talk to others in the hobby...

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 10:02 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

So i was talking to a certain pen repairer, one who has very rare pens ever month, and i was refereed to im by another pen person as he'd be able to do it. Lets just say the pen i need is very,very,very small and needs a new cap (there's a crack) a section, and feed. Well after a half dozen emails from the both of us, he stated a price which was just under $1000, which as a teenager wont be able to afford, and had this too say; "I now have an hour of my time into the job, going back and forth with the machinist and between you and I. I had estimated a total of about 1.5 hours of my time for the job (email exchange; receiving the pen; bringing it to the machinist; providing detailed instructions; answering his questions along the way; picking it up; calculating shipping and insurance costs; billing; PayPal or credit card fees; accounting activities; packing; getting the package to the shipping carrier). Because I didn't anticipate the breadth of email exchanges in which we would engage, the estimate of the time I would personally spend is already low."