brando090's Content

There have been 715 items by brando090 (Search limited from 28-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#15526 Waterman "Oriental" Overlay. Happy David.

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 05:02 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Dont even get me started on the 10-15 you'd keep. I know that RHR silver overlay Waterman 20 baby would be one of them :)

Regarding this oriental pen, there was one on ebay that sold a few months back for under $200.

#15525 Diamine Grape

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 05:00 AM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

Those guys at the FP Geeks are great! Now that I have done a few of those "video" chats! Right off the bat it became clear to me that both Eric and Dan have something really great going here. :rolleyes:

Not only is their site informative, but entertaining as well. They bring a certain professionalism and fun to the trade/collecting by being very informative, as well as allowing others to have an opinion, without meaningless and spiteful retribution.

Keep up the great work Eric and Dan!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Its great seeing you on there as well. Its nice having a younger generations (such as myself) also see other younger people interested in this, not just all the attic dwellers that remember these from back than B) Eric and Dan though have a problem, they owe me money for all the pens ive had to buy for the show :rolleyes:

#15524 Sheaffer Original Crest. Happy David.

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 04:53 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Wow, i love this pen! I want it.

#15522 Parker Marvel Mechanial Pencil

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 04:45 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Does anyone have information on a Parker Patrician Marvel mechanical pencil?

#15521 Parker Patrician

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 04:41 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Beautiful pen! Yet another to add to my collection.

#15519 Waterman "Oriental" Overlay. Happy David.

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 04:33 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Let's just say, he wasn't a very knowledgeable seller :)

#15518 Custom 1.2mm Stub Retip to a Parker 51 nib

Posted by brando090 on 22 June 2012 - 04:25 AM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Your photography is killing me! What body and macro lens...

#15507 Diamine Grape

Posted by brando090 on 21 June 2012 - 09:46 PM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

Nice little write up with my newly acquired Diamine Grape from Eric over at FP Geeks.

http://penspensandmo...s.blogspot.com/

#15380 Howdy from Texas ...

Posted by brando090 on 14 June 2012 - 04:21 AM in Say Hello!

Actually my passion has been of late to nice juicy flex pens ... I have acquired a few Mabie Todd and a couple of Eversharp's and have no clue what brand I should be focusing on ... Any help would be appreciated ....

Thanks

Scott

Welcome Scott!

If your looking for flex, the most well regarded brand would be Waterman. Im not sure if you have a budget, but a nice BCHR pen should cost less than $100 restored, and at least $400 if you want an overlay pen which would be restored. There are many exceptions to brand with flex, but Waterman's are generally found with semi/flex nibs. Also if your looking for a few path, what type of filling mechanism do you like? Lever, piston, button, sleeve,etc.

#15361 Waterman 42 1/2V review

Posted by brando090 on 13 June 2012 - 04:33 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Here is a little summary of my two baby Waterman's that i have.

http://penspensandmo...s.blogspot.com/

#15348 14K lever fill

Posted by brando090 on 13 June 2012 - 04:55 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

I believe not. Any pen that doesn't have a hallmark and that doesn't have any markings, usually indicates its gold-filled which is just gold plating. This should be indicated right below the section. Did the pen look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Well, that tops my retail restored warranted price at Vacumania. Time to raise prices? ;)

The original question has couple issues in play.

First, yes, a gold hallmarked cap should have a gold hallmarked barrel of same pattern, if barrel is to be gold. But, there are cases in which a gold cap can match to plain plastic barrel, and other cases in which it won't.

Lacking further info about pen, we have couple eras in play. 1942-5 War Years, 1945-1950 post war (with some tweaks along way), 1951 Thin Model Touchdown, and 1952-9 Snorkel, all of which can give us a Triumph nib and hallmarked gold cap.

War Years and Post War pens could be had all gold (Masterpiece) or gold-cap-on-black-barrel (Crest Masterpiece). There were also gold-filled caps but NO gold filled barrels that era.

SNork and TM TD did see Masterpiece (gold top and bottom), Triumph (gold filled top and bottom). Unlike 1940's, the Snork did NOT have Crest Masterpiece (solid gold cap but plastic barrel), and...I'd have to double check catalogue to see if TM TD (1951 only) had Crest Masterpiece.

All the 1940's, TM TD (1951) and Snorkel did have plain ]Crest (gold filled cap on certain plastic barrels).

Not sure this answers all possible questions, but I would NOT buy a hallmarked gold cap on a non-hallmarked different pattern barrel. If patterns match, then check harder for the hallmark as it might be there.

Too, I note that for solid gold Masterpiece pens, (top and bottom solid gold) at $700 you are getting into zone at which you could get one restored working from a dealer, though somewhat more for a really nice one.

regards

david

:rolleyes: :lol:

#15342 14K lever fill

Posted by brando090 on 12 June 2012 - 09:55 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

I believe not. Any pen that doesn't have a hallmark and that doesn't have any markings, usually indicates its gold-filled which is just gold plating. This should be indicated right below the section. Did the pen look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

#15328 Sheaffer Pen Museum

Posted by brando090 on 12 June 2012 - 04:23 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Wow! Thanks so much for these very information photo's!

#15113 On Buying Massive Collections. Isaacson and Erano hit the Lancaster Hoard. 30...

Posted by brando090 on 02 June 2012 - 05:45 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Where is the pen list? I see a few pens that i like, but dont know if i can afford <_<

#15112 Prototype Collection

Posted by brando090 on 02 June 2012 - 03:44 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

How sad to see those prototypes go :angry: